Sugar craving

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mel1974c

Sugar craving

Post by mel1974c » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:05 pm

He everyone,

It is my 11th day of the No S lifestyle and for the first time so far, I am REALLY craving sugar. I just fixed myself an iced coffee with a little bit of sugar in it but it is definitely not sweet.

I would assume this craving is normal, right?

thanks,
mel1974c

zeahpug

Sugar Craving

Post by zeahpug » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 pm

I've read somewhere on the boards here that you should try 100% fruit juice. I also go outside and walk to get away from the potential snacks. I think it's very normal to have sweet cravings. Especially if you, like me used to eat alot of them.

Hang in there. I know how you feel.
Lesley
BW: 176 lbs 6/08
CW: 174ish
Regularly walk over 10,000 steps per day with pedometer (Rural Ranger).
Goal weight 150ish.

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:41 pm

thanks for your encouragement Lesley.

I can be a candy junkie sometimes, especially at certain times of the month. It think it has a lot to do with "timing" today.

I probably should have put a piece of fruit onto my plate for lunch.

mel1974c

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't know if it ever really goes away, but it does get easier. And all the fruit, juice and other "naturally" sweet things in the world won't help me. Once I get it in my head that I want something sweet I just push it out or plan a nice treat for my next S day. I am OK today but yesterday I was craving carrot cake, so instead of trying to find something to fill that void, because I know nothing will really work, I put the ingredients on my grocery list and I will make it for this Sunday's dessert.

I have been doing this for nearly 6 months and I still crave sugar, but just saying no (until S days) is no problem at all.
Dawn

No S Dieter

Post by No S Dieter » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:41 pm

I find that a handful of grapes (especially the red ones) satisfies my craving for sweets. I only eat them when I have breakfast/lunch/dinner...so they have to be on my plate! :) Also, you can try freezing them, so they take a little bit longer to eat. :)
www.mynosdietjourney.blogspot.com
I'm a No S Dieter and happy about it!
See why on my blog!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 am

it is interesting that I am noticing changes in this, just this month. Friday I will be four months on No S. In the beginning, Monday's were really hard for me.

I also have had HUGE sugar BAD HABIT. You know the if I have one bite I will be face down in a cake somewhere pretty soon :D

Sometime this month Monday's seemed to have stopped being difficult. Also the weekend before last I registered that I actually want to eat less sugar on my S days so this past weekend I cut back on sugar pretty significantly and pretty effortlessly.

There was minor head chatter on Sunday but not very much. I have noticed again this week I am just not having difficuluty on Monday or thinking so much about sweets.

Difficult to explain the changes, but fairly significant.

I am wondering if that is what Reinhard means when he says if you stick with it, it gets easier. Cause I would say this month I have noticed a huge difference for me,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

No S Dieter

Post by No S Dieter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 am

Blueskighs, It's encouraging to hear that it has gotten easier for you. I also have a sweet tooth...and I had to laugh when you mentioned about being face down in a cake because there is a cake sitting on my counter right now and it has been staring at me for the past couple days. If I were not No "S"ing, that cake would have been gone by now. It's a triumph for me to see that cake still sitting there and the only pieces missing are ones eaten by my husband and kids. Come Saturday I can have a piece, but hopefully by then it will be gone! :)
See why on my blog!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:05 pm

If you're actually having some kind of biochemical craving, fruit (or fruit juice) will do the trick. There's plenty of sugar in there.

Beyond that, sit tight and hunker down. You're being assaulted by ingrained bad habits. If you're firm, they'll get tired of bothering you soon enough.

Reinhard

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:55 pm

I just ordered a poster for my dining room that says "Remain calm and carry on." That's become my motto for many things, especially cravings.

No S Dieter

Post by No S Dieter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:58 pm

I love that quote "Remain Calm and Carry On"! Is it ok if I use that on my blog Joelle?
See why on my blog!

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:05 pm

thanks everyone! I am happy to report that I made it through the day without giving in to the sugar cravings! :D

I think the apple with dinner helped. I don't keep fruit juice in my house but I might start to. Every time I buy it, I end up throwing it out because I don't drink it often enough and then it expires.

Joelle

Post by Joelle » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:38 pm

No S Dieter,

Be my guest. I just looked at it again online and it's actually "Keep calm and carry on." It works either way! BTW, great job on your blog.

Joelle

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:43 am

I find that a handful of raisins at dinner quenches cravings for sweets. Or dried figs.

Betty