Okay, now I feel optimistic about this...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mactomato

Okay, now I feel optimistic about this...

Post by mactomato » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Like many of you, I've tried just about every diet under the sun to lose weight. I can't do the no/low carb thing or the bland, pre-packaged plans and I just don't have the patience to stick to anything as tedious as calorie/point counting...blah, blah, blah. After so many failed attempts at weight-loss, I tried the "just give up and love my body" approach which seemed effective until I saw a photo of myself (that's me??) taken at my daughter's graduation last month. So, after throwing short a pity party, I decided to just get with it already, and I went to Amazon.com just to see what the latest diet book was. The first one that caught my attention was the No S plan. I read as much as I could for free on Amazon, was interested and "googled" NO-S which brought me to this site.

The plan sounded good, the author writes well, and I found that I could relate with what he said (Thanks Reinhard!). So, I decided to give this a try, as I agree, we just tend to eat too damn much. The info in the book really does make you say.."duh", and to me, NO-S also stands for NO SH*T (Sherlock)!

I purposely began the "diet" on an S-day, which I have to say was a great way to start a diet. I've now done the No-S thing for two weeks and I've lost 6 pounds. I did not change what I eat at all. Some foods that I enjoy are a bit indulgent (fresh pasta with chicken, almonds in an amaretto-laced parmesan cream sauce), and some are really sensible (grilled brook trout with roasted asparagus and wild rice with pecans). I put 2% milk in my coffee. I eat oatmeal with berries and pecans for breakfast or kashi "grape-nuts" and I usually have a sandwich of some type for lunch. I tend to have tuna or egg salad or peanut butter and jelly. I've never had much of a penchant for soft-drinks, and I continue to have plenty of ice water or iced-tea throughout the day. On the weekends, I've been allowing myself what I want, and find that I just don't want to each much between meals anymore. When I do have a treat, it's something that I really love (dark chocolate flourless hazelnut torte with a dark chocolate ganache-Nigella Lawson's recipe and one of my all time favorites).

In any case, I'm eating what I want....just less of it and at the appropriate times. I love this, I don't feel like I'm dieting and I just feel physically better. I did end of getting the book from Amazon, and I'm glad that I did. Not only do I just love a good read (and, that it is), I've found that to keep the book tucked in my tote bag as a "talisman" of sorts.

Anywhooo......I'm encouraged and optimistic that this is what'll help me get my body back to where it once was....and in an incredibly painless way.

Thanks, Reinhard!!!! I might just give that shovelglove thing a try....hmmm

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi Mactomato :)
That's great you are enjoying and feeling positive about doing NoS!
Good luck.
ps.. the Nigella Lawson recipe sounds yum!
Peace
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:16 pm

Welcome, MacTomato. This is a terribly sensible plan, isn't it? Glad that you found us, and good work on the initial loss. Usually the loss with No S is slow and steady, but the great part is that you are learning maintenance as you lose the weight!

mactomato

Post by mactomato » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks, gratefuldeb and crazycat!

gratefuldeb,

If you like your desserts not-to-sweet yet fabulously decadent...you've got to try the recipe...it's in the domestic goddess cookbook that Nigella did..but, you can also find it online. If you cook at all...it's easy to make. I made one this weekend and had one slice yesterday and one today. The rest will be given to friends as tomorrow is an N day! That'll get it out of the house (plus, sharing is wonderful....one should do it often).

I like this blog thing....seems like a great way to get to meet others as well......

Life is good!

:D

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Congrats on your success! I'm attracted to No-S because of its simplicity as well. Also, I just love the feeling of eating one reasonable plate of food. I feel like a thin person (if that makes any sense). Also, I have yet to leave the table hungry, but in the "old" days I would automatically refill my plate at least once.

Again, congrats on your success!