Honesty required....

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmsurbat

Honesty required....

Post by vmsurbat » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 pm

Two weeks into starting NoS diet and I'm learning a lot about myself and food. (And I thought I had a good relationship since I've never been a yoyo dieter or jumped on diet bandwagons).

1. After a solid 10 days of Greens, I had to admit that I had a Red for having a bit of ice cream. In one sense, I am not sorry that I did (participated in a youth program and we created a 6 meter (20 ft) banana split. And yes, I sampled.) But, the struggle I had within me! Instead of just being honest--a red because I had a sweet-- I spent two days struggling with: Should I make that be a NWS day? Should I count it as an S day and "drop" a normal S day? Should I just count the small bowl as part of a meal and thereby getting a Green day?

I finally came to my senses and realized that choosing to eat a small bowl of ice cream does not involve *moral* guilt and wasn't worthy of dithering about. Just mark it red because I had a sweet and therefore didn't meet the requirements for marking it green. No big deal. Mark and Move on is a new motto!

2. The months of July and August are full of NWS days for our family because of 4 birthdays in 6 weeks, vacation time, camp banquets, etc. The temptation is very high to start nixing "normal" S days in favor of these family events, but I realized that I will have months ahead of me with very few NWS days and I ought to enjoy this time. So, I will have a string of yellows for the next few weeks. But I will take responsibility for myself and make sure that I eat sensible meals and sensibly enjoy the treats that are coming my way, guilt-free.

Musings from a newbie,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:14 pm

Good for you vmsurbat

It IS NOT about guilt, it is about change and feeling good about yourself. If you have more "NWS" days this month than you' like to, I am sure it is fine, I would try to limit the snacks/sweets/seconds on those days if possible. And in the months coming, once the "special days" are fewer, try to really focus on the N day habit.

Best of luck!
Melissa

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:40 pm

Good for you! You just dealt denial a lethal blow. I know for me denial has been a key factor in holding me back. Denial will tell you that it’s OK to have a little taste, that the measly 20 calories in that bite isn't going to make you gain weight. But you know what one bite leads to don't you? Denial isn't your friend!
Dawn

Laff

Post by Laff » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Well said, Vicki. We have such a wonderful way of beating ourselves up. You are right, it was a red, mark it and move on. (but how could you not taste it??) The great part of this plan is that for some reason I am able to do that. One mistake or poor choice doesn't mean a week long binge (or month long as the case may be). We just had a very short 4 day holiday and I put them all down as yellow before I left. I wasn't sure what I would be eating and didn't want to get into that I screwed up so what the H!! As it turned out I did very well. My husband is more or less following the same plan but he does not seem to get the concept of NWS days at all!! For the first time ever, we had no treats in the hotel room and we not only survived we had a great time. Life isn't always about food after all!

Best of luck on this wonderful journey.
Laff :)
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 am

Vickie, what a great post!

I had real trouble with this one... as a "recovering perfectionist," I really wanted to rationalize away slips, make up for them, whatever. It took me quite a while to reach what you've summarized so well as "mark it and move on." (But I find that it's a better place to be... and spreads to other areas of life.)

Thanks for sharing.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Kudos to you for this thread Vicki :)
Really what is the point of trying to lie to ourselves anyway??
Keep on plugging and you will get there!
That will feel so much more excellent than making excuses etc..
I was almost able to call yesterday a success myself, and then in the middle of the night I had a handful of cherries and a handful of Terra Veggie chips which were laying around in the kitchen waiting to ambush me! :(
Oh well. I know in my heart that when I am able to put a real "Green" it will actually mean something, so I am just gonna keep trying and just roll with the reds until I get there.
Mark and move on is a great catch phrase for the attitude necessary!
Forward ever, backward never!
Have a good week!
Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:46 pm

I've not been seeing results, but I realized last night that I've been doing a lot of virtual plating. I need to get back to a real plate so I get the visual impact of what I eat.

irish

Post by irish » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:28 pm

One of the best things about this forum is that you find out that you are not alone and that the idiotic things that you do about food are common to many people. I, like KCCC, am a recovering perfectionist, and it just kills me to put a red in the middle of my greens. Your "mark it and move on" is a great solace to me, just what I needed to hear. Thank you.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:09 pm

Vickie,

Coming back to say that I've really adopted your "mark it and move on" motto, and it's REALLY been helpful to me. Thanks again!

Cheers,

KCCC