Ideal weight vs realistic weight

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Ideal weight vs realistic weight

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:12 pm

I saw a blurb about this on the Today Show yesterday, but can't find a link to it on their web site. I'm not even sure who spoke about it, but I think it might have been Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom.

There's a calculation to determine "ideal" weight. For every inch of height over 5', allow 5 pounds, then add 100 to that figure. So a 5'3" woman, like me, would have an ideal weight of 115 pounds. Though it wasn't mentioned on yesterday's show, I've read the same kind of formula for men, only it's 6 pounds for every inch -- which would make the "ideal weight" for a 6' man 172 pounds.

However, though that may be the ideal, it may not be realistic. Bone structure, muscle mass, where you feel well or where your body is willing to go weight-wise all affect realistic weight. My ideal is 115, but I feel best at about 125. Beyond that, I could probably starve myself down to 115, but my body wouldn't like it. For some people, the realistic weight will be less than the ideal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

feelgood

Post by feelgood » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:58 pm

"Ideal" weight for whom? Such a simplistic formula fails to take many things into consideration. That's why the BMI, while not without its limitations either, is my preference for calculating a healthy weight. The BMI has a range, rather than one weight for everyone of the same height/sex.
Skinny women my age do not look good. At all. (No, I won't be telling you my age. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:01 pm

feelgood wrote:Such a simplistic formula fails to take many things into consideration.
I'm probably older than you -- or at least close. Anyway, the ideal weight is a starting point and the realistic weight takes many things into consideration. Like how after a certain age it's your face or your arse.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 pm

I don't think there is much point in having an ideal weight. Have ideal behavior -- habits of moderate eating and exertion. Whatever you weigh then is ideal.

Reinhard

No S Dieter

Post by No S Dieter » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:20 pm

reinhard wrote:I don't think there is much point in having an ideal weight. Have ideal behavior -- habits of moderate eating and exertion. Whatever you weigh then is ideal.

Reinhard
Ideal Behavior=Ideal Weight
I love it! Thank you Reinhard!
www.mynosdietjourney.blogspot.com
I'm a No S Dieter and happy about it!
See why on my blog!

Mavilu

Re: Ideal weight vs realistic weight

Post by Mavilu » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm

wosnes wrote:
There's a calculation to determine "ideal" weight. For every inch of height over 5', allow 5 pounds, then add 100 to that figure. So a 5'3" woman, like me, would have an ideal weight of 115 pounds. Though it wasn't mentioned on yesterday's show, I've read the same kind of formula for men, only it's 6 pounds for every inch -- which would make the "ideal weight" for a 6' man 172 pounds.
Oh, yeah, that's one of the first formulas that are taught on Nutritional Sciences classes.
Students like it because it's about the easiest formula to learn (and there are many formulas to learn) but I honestly think it's pretty outdated.
People used to be that thin naturally, but their environments, food and activities were very different, now a days, I think it would be pretty hard for us to fit within the formula without going to lengths to get there.
I was once within my "ideal" weight, but I was young and kinda scrawny, I wouldn't want to be 115 again.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:21 am

If I go by the BMI then my 'ideal' weight for my height would be no more then 144lbs....but I know with my age, my build etc....getting to 150 is going to be hard enough, but a weight I know (I think) I will feel great and look great at. Although years ago my doctor said to go for 160 as realistic, so we'll see where I get.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 am

At my height, according to that formula, I should be 115 lbs. (I'm 5 ft. 3). However, in my adult life, I was only that weight once, and people were worried that I was anorexic. At 130 lbs. I can easily wear a size 6 and oftentimes a size 4.

I've heard that calculation before, too, and I've always thought it was overly simplistic. For whatever reason, when I get down to a certain weight, I look thinner than my sisters who are at that same weight. Once, my younger sister and I were both 135 lbs. (we're the same height). She tried on a pair of my jeans, and she could not get them past her hips. So, for her, maybe she could go lower than 135, but for me, something within that range was about right.

storm fox

for athletes

Post by storm fox » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:40 am

I've heard that for a lean, muscular build that men should start at 100# at 5 ft, and add 10# for every inch after that. Then again, I've heard a lot of ridiculous things over the years...