exercise and this diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

luvtoexercise

exercise and this diet

Post by luvtoexercise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 am

I have been on weight watchers for the past 3 years. I follow the program and am basically fed up with it. I have not lost anything for about 3 months. I exercise alot. I do weights and spinning about 5 times a week. I burn alot of calories according to my polar HRM. But the scale is not budging. I just want to lose these last 10 lbs. I dont think i am eating enough on weight watchers. I am nonstop too running after 2 little ones all day. I am concerned about not getting in my morning post exercise snack since we are not allowed to snack. I feel that I need to replenish at this time. My snack usually consists of fruit and a low-fat cheese stick or a low-calorie protein bar.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

wosnes

Re: exercise and this diet

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 pm

luvtoexercise wrote: I just want to lose these last 10 lbs
Okay, you're probably not going to like this, but maybe you're at the weight you're supposed to be at. Maybe what you want to do and what your body is able to do are two different things. Even if you've weighed 10 lbs less at some point in time doesn't mean it's the best thing for you now. Considering that you don't feel like you're eating enough on WW, maybe that 10 lbs is less than where your body wants to be.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

luvtoexercise

i am not at ideal weight

Post by luvtoexercise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:04 am

I am 31 years old and only 5 ft tall and weigh 135 so i am considered overweight. I know i have muscle but also that tummy that will just not go away. Hence all of my cardio exercise. I am fine with everything except my tummy. Also i am sick of counting points on ww and desperately need a change. I read the book and started today. I did not snack and had a great n day. I would love to lose at least 5 lbs.

Thanks
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:36 am

Well, I have been No S-ing since the first of the year, and I am moving very slowly. I had a LOT of bad habits, and really took No S slow. I'm older, taller, and much heavier than you. I carry a lot of weight in my belly, and I really do not like how it looks!

In April, a (skinny) friend bought me a silky tank with a loose overblouse...very pretty set. I had worn it once, with a bustier type undergarment, because I needed something to hold my gut in so that top would fit! Today, I tried it on again. It fits fine. I am losing slowly, but the weight has come off my face (looks thinner), my belly (shirt fits now), and even my rump (pants much looser).

On Weight Watchers, you count the pounds to see success. On No S, you count the days on habit. The key to No S is building those habits, and then as you continue the weight begins to come off slowly. It definitely won't be quick, but it will be very lasting. You are in this for the long haul!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:33 pm

This made me think about what you said about the tummy not going away:
gionta wrote:you should do it like the hollywood moms do:

1. hire full time nanny (or 2) so that you are not stressed.....

2. this will free up time so that you can work out 4 hours a day with your very own personal trainer (in between lunch with friends, massages and shopping)

3. eat healthy meals 4 times a day prepared by your personal chef.....

4. finally, get plastic surgery for those last few stubborn pounds!

seriously, i get really annoyed when the trashy magazines (yeah, i shouldn't look at them) give "helpful" hints about how the latest star lost the baby weight in record time - give me a break!
I'd love not to have a tummy (as well as a few other things!). But we have these women who have the time, money and resources to spend on their looks and who are paid millions for what they do. In no way is what they do and the way they look realistic for most of us.

Real women have tummies!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Seriously, if you've had two kids, the tummy is likely not going to go away without plastic surgery.

That flap that hangs down in front? It's not made of fat. It's made of skin and its supporting structures, plus some fat. Even skinny people usually have one after a few pregnancies.

So don't beat yourself up over it. And think about saving up for your tummy tuck one day.

I do, it will be my present for going through menopause :-)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Hence all of my cardio exercise
there is a lot of info coming out that excess cardio, especially steady state is not so good for weight loss, excessive steady state is catabolic, tears down your muscle and that of course will increase your bodyfat and crash your metabolism,

maybe try substituting 15 to 20 minute intense cardio intervals 3 to 4 times a week and don't do any other cardio and then keep your resistance training.

its amazing how much better and energetic and happier I feel since cutting out "lots of cardio", also I am getting much better results with reducing my body fat and increasing my lean body mass.

I have found that if I do steady state cardio and eat less, i do lose weight, I lose muscle mass and by body fat goes up, NOT EFFECTIVE!

if you are already doing this, i'd just stick with the plan and stick with weights, also don't exerise 5 to 6 days a week, if you do you are wearing yourself out and not giving your body time to recover ....
good case where less is more

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:31 pm

I think your point about mixing up the cardio is good. I do cardio 4 days a week. 2 days I just do 20 minutes with varying levels of intensity. the other 2 days I run 3-5 minles. (the other 2 days a week I lift weights). Once I started doing the intensity level training I saw a boost in my general energy and metabolism.

Mix it up!
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 pm

This runs counter to conventional wisdom, but exercise is a horrible form of weight control. I'm not saying exercise isn't good- it is! It's great for your heart, lungs, mental well being, etc., but simply is not very good for weight control because the amount of calories you burn are fairly low.

I exercise frequently, so am not a couch potato, but diet is really the key. It's possible you're exercising too much relative the amount of food you're eating so you're body is holding on to what it needs, weight wise.

NoS is great because over time it gets you to the point where you eat the quantity of food you need (without deprivation). This, coupled with a reasonable exercise routine works wonders. Many here do 14 minutes of Shovelglove 5 times per week and have excellent results.

Ray

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Ray, I'm going to agree and disagree with you. While the calories you burn may not be huge (although if you walk 4 miles at a 15 minute mile pace you will burn 400+ calories, not insignificant imho), there are other benefits to exercise that bear directly on weight loss. Doing things like shovelglove and urban rangering build lean muscle mass, which takes more calories to maintain than fat. You also, by doing repeated long sessions of low intensity cardio, start to train your body to burn fat and not simply glycogen. A more fit body burns more calories at rest than an unfit body do to higher metabolism.

I agree with you that controlling your diet is key to complete the picture. for years I exercised religiously and ate like crap, and didn't loose a pound. It's only when I changed not only how much but WHAT I ate that I started to see results.
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

Nichole

Hi

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

I haven't posted in a long time (hi, all!!!!).

I was just wondering about this whole over-working thing. I tend to exercise about 30-45 minutes 5 or 6 days a week. Sometimes, even after 8 hours of sleep, I still feel tired.

A couple weeks ago I lightened the load (had to b/c of schedule) and lost some weight. But then I went back to my normal routine and went back up to my normal weight. But these could just be my normal fluctuations or maybe I was eating less! (how confusing).

But going back to the energy thing, I start to feel really tired around 7:30 -- sometimes earlier!! I know I get up at 6 am, but still. I often wonder if I overwork myself.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

vmelo

Re: Hi

Post by vmelo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Nichole wrote:I haven't posted in a long time (hi, all!!!!).

I was just wondering about this whole over-working thing. I tend to exercise about 30-45 minutes 5 or 6 days a week. Sometimes, even after 8 hours of sleep, I still feel tired.

A couple weeks ago I lightened the load (had to b/c of schedule) and lost some weight. But then I went back to my normal routine and went back up to my normal weight. But these could just be my normal fluctuations or maybe I was eating less! (how confusing).

But going back to the energy thing, I start to feel really tired around 7:30 -- sometimes earlier!! I know I get up at 6 am, but still. I often wonder if I overwork myself.
My husband--who has never had a weight problem---says that when he does more physical labor (e.g., yardwork), he eats more because he's hungrier. In that most of us aren't counting calories with the No-S plan, it may be that you're eating a bit more at mealtimes when you workout.

It would be an interesting experiment to keep a journal of what you eat when you work out more and then keep a journal of what you eat on days/weeks when your workouts are shorter.

Nichole

Re: Hi

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 pm

vmelo wrote:
Nichole wrote:I haven't posted in a long time (hi, all!!!!).

My husband--who has never had a weight problem---says that when he does more physical labor (e.g., yardwork), he eats more because he's hungrier. In that most of us aren't counting calories with the No-S plan, it may be that you're eating a bit more at mealtimes when you workout.

It would be an interesting experiment to keep a journal of what you eat when you work out more and then keep a journal of what you eat on days/weeks when your workouts are shorter.
Hmmm, interesting. I do give myself licence to eat more when I exercise, though I know that's not what you meant. Keeping a journal is an idea...

I do wonder if all the exercise if affecting my energy levels. I just make up for it by drinking more tea!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Nichole,

(I haven't posted in a long time too) I've started riding my bike in addition to my regular workout regimen. My bike riding is more to save money than to add exercise. I notice on days when I ride all the way home (up a long, steep hill) I feel more tired.

To the original poster, I have three kids and yes, your body does change after childbirth. I am in my 40's and it is changing again. As long as my weight isn't increasing, it's ok.

I think you should ignore the charts and indices and scales and concentrate on eating the proper amounts of good food and do enough exercise to keep yourself feeling good. Let your weight do what it wants. If you beat it down and gain it back, that - according to a book I' reading now "Obesity Myths" - is more damaging than keeping the 10 extra pounds in the first place.