After baby

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

After baby

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:59 pm

I am the biggest believer in No S. I lost 25 lbs 2-3 years ago. Then I had a baby this January and I cannot get the weight off and I didn't stick to No S while pregnant or afterwards. I am 45 lbs away from my No S figure and I don't know how I will ever get back. I am still nursing if that has anything to do with it. I exercise when I can, but I feel it's not enough. I need to get on the bandwagon, but I'm having such a hard time. I can't kill my sweet tooth although I have cut down dramatically. When I did No S, I concentrated so much on it, and now I concentrate on my baby and eat when I can. Help! I need inspiration and would like to hear from other mothers.

Olivia

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Olivia,

It's tough! When I was pregnant I found it very easy to eat well, but when I started breastfeeding all I wanted was crap. I was so hungry all the time, and though I didn't gain a lot when pregnant, I never did lose that weight.

But tough doesn't mean impossible! Since you're breastfeeding you could consider having 4 meals a day. And it sounds like this one is your first, which means that you have more time to go out walking with your child.

But whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. I think the trick for you will be to find the minimum you can do on a regular basis. If you can be satisfied that you're doing SOMETHING sucessfully I think you'll feel a lot better. (or am I just reading into your post the same desperation I felt after having each of my kids??) If it's just "no sweets" for right now, that's ok. when you have that down, add more levels of complexity.

Good luck. You can do it,

Betty

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:45 pm

You need more food when you're breastfeeding. 500 calories a day more. So yes, I'd add a 4th meal. And really, there will be plenty of time to lose this weight. Your body is storing up energy to make food for someone else, and that's a big deal. I've never successfully lost weight till I've weaned my babies, but it really is ok.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:54 pm

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. It's so hard and I know that I am not eating enough. Four meals a day is a good idea, but I fear gaining more weight. I am only about 7 lbs down from the height of my pregnancy, which doesn't make any sense to me.

This is my first baby! And I'm afraid if I have another one I will just keep gaining weight. I am determined and appreciate all No S and its followers have given me.

Olivia

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:53 pm

You are wise to be concerned about getting this weight off now before more kids. Look around, so many of us never did lose our baby weight. Of course a few extra pounds as we get older, have kids, etc isn't a big deal but there is a limit. I had twins in 1995, they were both around 5 pounds and I came home 8 pounds lighter than when I left!!! I pretty much kept a bonus 10 pounds from each of my 2 pregnancies and have been trying like hell these past 13 years to get rid of it!

But here is the deal. You want to enjoy this very precious time, as it will pass very quickly. Stressing about your weight takes time and energy away from much more important things like the baby!!! Speaking of babies, how about taking baby steps? Try applying doing only one No-S for like a month. Maybe start off with no snacks. And each month add something new. Exercise is tricky with kids but maybe if you ease into this you can come up with something, even if it's only 14 min a day (shovelglove). Things can get very overwhelming at this point in your life so take things easy, but keep moving ahead, slow and steady is the No-S way.

Good luck and enjoy your baby!
Dawn

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks Dawn.

My sister-in-law is pregnant with twin boys; she's gotten really big and she's not due until November. She's been on weight watchers for years successfully.

It's so hard to fathom post-baby weight gain coming off and it comes off so slow. Thanks for the advice. I will take baby steps...

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:43 pm

This is the kind of thing that makes me nervous about having a baby as selfish as that sounds. I want to be fit and healthy. Next year seems to be our year if we are able to get a house!....

Anyway, back to you.... Just keep trying and definitely up the exercise if you can and try to eat four meals a day. Make a schedule. Anything to help you on your way! And you could always go to your doctor for health and reassurence :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm

If there ever was a time for the reminder to "be gentle with yourself," this is it.

First, it took you nine months to put on that weight.... and while some of it was baby, most of it was "support system" for the baby. That will go away slowly, and that's okay. I remember being told that "nine months on, nine months off" was a reasonable goal. (Dunno the source, but it does sound reasonable.)

Second, in my opinion, you are in the roughest stage of parenthood. At least it was true for me. In just a few months, the baby will start to develop a routine - not a rigid schedule, but a natural rhythm to the day in terms of sleeping, eating, etc. And when that happens, your routines can start to fall back into place around your baby's.

Give yourself time. Do what you can, and be PROUD of every baby-step you take in terms of re-implementing habits. Each one will lead to the next, as long as you take it slow and easy and don't beat yourself up.

And a big congrats on your new little one. I wish you joy and enough sleep to manage. :)

PS - DO try to cook meals you like, and remember to eat and get enough to drink. It's that oxygen-mask advice, remember?

navi

Post by navi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:52 am

you should do it like the hollywood moms do:

1. hire full time nanny (or 2) so that you are not stressed.....

2. this will free up time so that you can work out 4 hours a day with your very own personal trainer (in between lunch with friends, massages and shopping)

3. eat healthy meals 4 times a day prepared by your personal chef.....

4. finally, get plastic surgery for those last few stubborn pounds!

seriously, i get really annoyed when the trashy magazines (yeah, i shouldn't look at them) give "helpful" hints about how the latest star lost the baby weight in record time - give me a break!

Go easy on yourself (and expectations of weight loss right now) and have lots of fun with your little bundle of joy!

Meg

What KCCC said!

Post by Meg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:37 am

Ohhhh, I wish I could give you a big hug, clean your house and watch the baby while you took a nap!!!! That's what you probably need most these days :D

Here's my advice:
1. Eat your (three) meals!!! Mine are sort of embarassingly big, but the weight is still coming off.
2. Drink twice as many fluids as you did when not nursing.
3. Sleep instead of exercising or snacking until you start to feel better. (This really did the trick for me, but it's surprisingly difficult to start the habit.)
4. Get outside every day. If you walk, do it for pleasure, stress relief and relaxation, not calorie burning.

Be kind to yourself and be patient. The weight will come off when you start to feel better.

I have two small children (a three-year-old and an 11-month-old). I care for them full-time, mostly alone. (Long, complicated story).

I have been NOSing for about six weeks, I think, and it's great! In no small part because it forces me to make sure I eat three very satisfying meals.

I am still nursing my youngest child, but she eats a lot of solids, too, so it's not as big of a deal.

I gained about sixty pounds each time I was pregnant, maxing out around 190 lbs. (ack!) I'm 5'8" and have dropped down to 133 lbs (from roughly 148 lbs) since starting NOS. This is about what I weighed in high school, and where I expect to stay...

You'll get there, but becoming a Mom is a HUGE life-altering shock, especially if your baby is sensitive or intense. It'll take time. Try to just breathe and relax.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:57 am

Congradulations on the baby. I heard that the only time a woman can burn cellulite is when she is nursing a baby. It makes sense that you put that extra on to provide for the baby, and some of it comes off as you feed the baby!

Do give it time, and be sure to nourish yourself. Baby is very important, but by feeding and caring for yourself, you are providing for your child. So take the time to eat healthy meals. Try to restart the No S principles. You know it works, because it worked for you before!

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks so much everyone. I wish I could have a personal chef and the time to work out for hours, but it's not possible. I have returned back to work (sitting in a cublicle) and can say that I am doing pretty good not hitting the snack machine or diving into the bowl of chocolates on my co-worker's desk. I never drink sugary drinks either.

I heard that you lose weight if you breastfeed, but some say that happens after you stop. I have been a steady weight for a few weeks now, but I really want to drop some more. Thanks for the advice of being able to lose the baby weight eventually. I know No S works, it's the best eating/diet plan around. I can't wait to be able to say I DID it AGAIN!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:25 pm

oliviamanda wrote:I am doing pretty good not hitting the snack machine or diving into the bowl of chocolates on my co-worker's desk. I never drink sugary drinks either.
Firstly, congratulations on the baby :)

Secondly, on the above: good for you!! Life in a cube is like a daily exercise in dodging the donuts, chocolate & high octane coffee that seem to be everywhere just waiting to tempt you.

Something that can help is to establish from the begining that you don't consume this stuff for a specific reason, e.g. sugar sensitive, lactose intolerent or whatever, just to establish yourself as "that person that doesn't eat sweets, snacks and junk". e.g. in my office, people know that I'm a vegan who only drinks a particular brand of coffee, so no-one offers me cookies, sweets, chocolate & coffee anymore because they know I just say no (either that or I'm not very popular LOL), similarly, there are certain people who always say no to a cup of tea, and are therefore overlooked in the regular tea runs.

I'm afraid I can't offer a strategy for vending machines however, other than sticking Reinhard's No S logo on the front of it! :)