The summer has been difficult

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

The summer has been difficult

Post by ou812 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:51 am

Ok. I have had more failures than success this summer. I have been home with my kids and now I can sympathize with my wife a bit more. I have not gone crazy but certainly have lost the good habits that I worked so hard to establish last year.

My wife and I both want to start the No-S. I have had a hard time getting a string of more than a couple of No-s days. I think that some of the stress that we had has made it difficult. Any suggestions for getting started?

I need some encouragement.

Thanks.

ou812

Post by ou812 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 pm

Wow. No response.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:42 am

Sorry! Missed this one.

My suggestions...

-Work on habits first, even if that means eating a bit much. Go for the 21-day challenge! (Maybe even plan a reward at the end for the two of you.)
- Plan extra-yummy meals. Things you love that you don't normally eat b/c they take time or are too expensive. Or make them special some other way. Buy flowers for the table, or play music while you eat.
- Get junk food out of the house. Give it away, or throw it away.
- Be sure and plan your S-treats.
- Read the book, scan the boards, or listen to the No-S podcasts for inspiration.

And be gentle with yourself. If you've been under a lot of stress, you need it.

Best wishes!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:29 am

And remember that this is a lifelong "maintenance" plan. Just ease into it. It took me months! Give yourself some time. You and your wife can encourage each other! Bake lovely treats that are worth waiting for on the S days, and truly enjoy them! Cook enjoyable meals everyday, with lots of variety to satisfy yourself.

Just stick with it, the habits will become easier in time.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:53 pm

It does sound very cliche, but stick with it. Make as many meals on habit (no s's ) as possible. Keep going. If you slip, don't fall, just get right back on it.

I'm the queen of slip ups! I've been known to have one green day in a whole week fa several weeks in a row. The good news is, it' because of one small snack, one dessert vs. what used to be all day eating.

Take it meal by meal, and when you look back several months, you'll see it all added up. I've lost 35lbs so far, very very slowly, hardly noticed that, or the fact that I"m on a "diet".

And if I can do it, anyone can ;)
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 pm

ou812,

Sorry to hear this (and sorry for the delayed response -- I was out on vacation last week and then flooded with email/bulletin board backlog).

There's no question, being at home with the fridge and the kids definitely makes no-s (and any diet) much harder. I notice this myself on the days when I'm home. Unfortunately I don't know if there's any magic bullet solution to make it easy.

But there are definitely steps you can take and "attitudes" you can cultivate that will help.

1. Accept that this is going to be especially hard time. Feel like a hero when you comply, and don't beat yourself up when you don't

2. Focus on the bare externals of literal compliance with the system. Don't worry about plate size. Don't worry if you need caloric drinks between meals. Don't worry about bananas S-days. The clearer and simpler you keep it, the easier (or at least less hard it will be) and habit will start to grow even in this rocky patch of soil.

3. Add an extra mini-meal if you need it. Better to have a VERY slow system you can stick with, even if it's just maintenance rather than active loss, than a more ambitious one that you can't. Parenthood is the biggest chunker upper of all life experiences. If you can just keep new pounds off you're way ahead of the game.

4. Keep posting here if you need help or encouragement, or to celebrate accomplishments. I promise we'll be quicker on the draw next time :-)

Hope something here hellps and best to you and your wife,

Reinhard

fizXgirl314

Post by fizXgirl314 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:31 pm

so which part are you having more difficulty with? the no snacking no sugars or no seconds? you might want to start by cutting out the ones that are easy for you first. also, increase the size of your meals for now, that should help with conquering most of the S's.
Christina age 29