Post Your Proud Moments-I Stayed on Habit and Resisted!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:46 pm

As I have observed in myself this week and have read others posts, it seems we are all making lots of good choices about what we eat. When I realize that I beat the urge to indulge myself (read pig-out) in some way, I've been calling my friend who is also doing this with me and tell her, "guess what I didn't eat!" It occurred to me that we should have a topic where we can post those proud moments when we proved to ourselves that we are capable of making good choices.

For example, this week we went to a big picnic and I resisted the urge to have multiple helpings of food and lots of wonderful soft chocolate chip cookies. And I could have easily polished off the whole steak, potatoes, rolls and crab legs I had for dinner last night for my anniversary. And although I could have called it an "S" day, I realized if I ate it all, I would feel overstuffed and miserable. I asked for a take-out box right away and did not feel deprived at all.

So pat yourselves on the back, brag a little the next time you feel a little smug that you refused seconds or dessert or that you saved something for another time. This wouldn't need to be for every time you did well--just for those spectacular choices that you once would never have made-pre-NoS!

I guess the downside will be that all our mouths will water reading all the tasty descriptions of what we've chosen not to eat--at least for now. But better to drool on the keyboard than in reality!
Last edited by la_loser on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Adagia

Post by Adagia » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:17 pm

My first proud moment was early on in my journey. I resisted eating some chocolate chips from a torn bag when I was transferring them to a ziploc. Normally I would have helped myself to a handful or two while doing so.
Started Aug 04, 200 lbs
As of Sep 8, 195.5 lbs (5 weeks on habit)
45 years, 5' 10"

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:22 pm

LA, what a nice thread to start!

I'm going to bring over something from my check in thread (edited to make more sense) that I've been thinking about. Two instances recently caught my attention, and something Resting said made me think about it a little more.

First instance:
We had a HUGE restaurant breakfast (buffet) both days last weekend. I felt stuffed, but not OVER-stuffed each morning... it was sort of interesting to sit there and think "they have X, I love that and hardly ever get it..." and internally respond "yeah, but I'm full now."

Second instance:
The other night I grabbed dinner on the way to someplace from my favorite grocery-with-deli-options. Half a veggie sandwich, and some sushi. However, it was the bigger size of sushi, not the smaller one I usually get, and I could tell after I finished it that I would be STUFFED if I ate my sandwich too.

So I didn't. :) That was a good decision, and I'm pleased that I've reached a place where I can make it.

And the reflection, inspired by Resting's comment that it was a "sweet revelation"...

I used to eat as if I'd never see food again. Get it now, or it will be gone! And I think somewhere deep down, I was full of fear that there somehow wouldn't be "enough."

And now...my feeling is more "Well, this is nice, but there will be nice food again." I don't feel I have to eat it all now; I can wait until I'm hungry next time. Feeding myself better food on a regular basis has led to more trust in the future, on the deep emotional level that's just not amenable to reason.

I have a better sense of what I need/want, and a sneaking suspicion that much of it never really had to do with food at all.

==

That's a bit long, and not quite on target, but it was something I really wanted to share with the group and it sort of fits.

la_loser

The No S Affirmation Thread!

Post by la_loser » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:00 pm

KCCC & Adagia,

I think it fits perfectly and that's what I had in mind really for this thread. To me it's like posting our "aha!" moments which usually include something we managed to avoid instead of indulging.

Through the last ten or so years, I've begun most classes I taught (a variety of content areas/age groups, etc. i.e. pre-teens, teens and university students) with positive affirmations. Not quite the SNL Stuart Smalley version, but we go around the room and everyone very quickly shares one good/positive thing that's happened to them since the last time we met. It's a great way to get people focused on what IS good about their lives instead of what may be going wrong. Sort of the half-full/half empty glass idea. When one would say nothing good had happened, often someone else would speak up and say, how about when such and such happened yesterday--wasn't that a good thing? (i.e. another interjected, "how about in PE class yesterday-you got around the track before any of the rest of us?" The other student broke out in a little grin and said, "oh, yeah, I forgot."

It's worked well with older ones as well--early career teachers, who are frustrated with how their week has been, can usually find some sort of bright side/silver lining, etc.

So this thread could be a way to share our special successes-a sort of way to give ourselves individual self-pats on the back! Maybe I should have called it the No-S Affirmations thread. I know that the daily check-ins include a lot these but it just seemed like a good idea to consolidate the biggies--at least the choices that were in fact biggies to us individually.

Adagia, wow the choc chip resisting is hard to do. . .that was an awesome accomplishment--it means you are THINKING about every thing you put in your mouth. I'm happy to say that the baggie in my cabinet has been there for months. . . and actually still has a sticker on it that I put there pre-No-S that says 8 chips=1 WW point. Granted that wouldn't be much in the scheme of sweets--but be able to resist them on No S days makes me feel like I'm winning!

Glad you found the thread deserving of additions!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:42 am

KCCC wrote:Feeding myself better food on a regular basis has led to more trust in the future, on the deep emotional level that's just not amenable to reason.
This makes so very much sense to me! I'm going to post it in the quotes thread that is stickied at the top!

I already posted this in another thread, too. But I recently had a success! My husband wanted to go to Dairy Queen last night to get dilly bars (vanilla ice cream covered in a chocolate shell). I went with him, but waited until today to have one. What helped me was that yesterday was day 21 on-habit, and I did not want a red mark to ruin it!

Today I had the dilly bar, and it was good! I also went to a farmers market, and it was nice to be able to munch on some fresh veggies as I walked around, since it is an S day. I bought some edamame and boiled it up for dinner. Very tasty! A new food for me, fresh from the local farm it was grown at, and healthy and delicious too!

With other diet plans eating healthy felt like a bit of a chore, what I had to do. Now I realize that healthy foods can feel indulgent, too!

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:48 pm

KCCC wrote: "I used to eat as if I'd never see food again. Get it now, or it will be gone!"

I've been thinking about the impact of no snacks, both psychological & physiological. When I give myself time to get a bit hungry by eliminating "permasnacking", then having regular, good-tasting meals, my mind and body will learn that a little hunger is a good thing because it means that a meal I want to have will soon follow.

Before realizing this, I, too, used to "eat as if I'd never see food again". Regular meals are giving me confidence that not only will I see food again, but I'm also going to enjoy it much more when I do!

I can't remember when I last enjoyed meals so much! (Maybe as a kid, when my mother went to great pains to make sure we didn't "spoil our appetites"). And I'm motivated to cook something good because I know I'll really enjoy it since I'm not already stuffed from snacking.

This may be a "duh", but it was a great revelation to me. This "aha" moment came when I was still out shopping later in the day than I expected. Was tempted to get just a "little something" to "tide me over", but thought about the great lunch I had waiting at home, and didn't. When I got home, I had lunch late and felt just terrific. Getting back to looking forward to regular meals is, for me, a powerful deterrent to snacking.

Hurray for No Snacks! Real meals are back!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm

This is such a great thread to start. It's exactly what I need to read - SUCCESS!!!

I'm just on Day 30, but I had a proud moment about a week ago. I was in a super-grocery store...you know...the kind that has every kind of treat known to man? We were camping & I was buying more supplies. It was an "S" day so I could have bought something to snack on. But I didn't! I realized in the middle of this sea of temptation that I wasn't hungry and nothing sounded good to me. WHAT? No candy? No doughnut? No crackers, chips, not even an APPLE? Nope...I wasn't hungry. I stood in the middle of that store, looked around & just smiled. I'm sure passers-by thought I belonged in a locked room somewhere, but I really didn't care. It was absolutely delightful to feel that glimpse of the freedom from food addiction.

Thanks for sharing your stories...I'll read every word! janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:29 pm

(another) GREAT thread! Thank you again, LA_Loser.

Resisting individual excesses can seem so small and insignificant. And yet there's a lot of habit riding on each such resistance. Recognizing (and glorying in!) such acts of heroic moderation makes them seem more important, and makes it easier to motivate to resist them. If such language seems a bit over the top, well, glory with a sense of humor about it. Sure it's small -- but it's also big.

Reinhard

la_loser

So proud of me!

Post by la_loser » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:18 am

The grain science dept. at our university has a bake sale every week during the school year with a couple of different types of cookies available each time. They practice their techniques and we get to be the guinea pigs. (yeah, oink oink!) Today my spouse brought home two dozen. . . large soft chewy monster cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Oh, man, he's done this for years on Wednesdays. . . no wonder I'm over the top! You know. . . a cookie here-a cookie there and oh, look, I've taken on the shape of Cookie Monster!
:wink:
But today. . . I'm holding strong and will save them for the weekend. Now that is a FIRST!!!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:06 am

I'm having a proud moment right now.
Today I made the fist soup of the season and I love soup and this one was a little black bean and chicken number that I adore.
Last year I would have had two leaping bowls of it and would have felt over-stuffed, tonight I just had one bowl and some cherries for dessert... but I was dying to have a second, larger bowl!.
But now, the kitchen is closed, the lights there are off and I'm not stuffed in the least, even after a couple of cups of tea right after dinner.

The "eating season" is around the corner, with the first ocasion; Halloween, just a bit more than a month away and I'm not in the least worried about gaining weight. By now, I would be frantic, already.
And that has me proud, too.

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:34 am

This isn't an "avoiding temptation" post, but I just want to give myself a pat on the back. This is the first week (and I've been ding no S for 4 months, this time) that it has been easy not to fail.

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Excellent idea.
I have always believed that we should pat ourselves on the back for all the good things we do to take care of ourselves, and help to create a "happy cycle" rather than the negative "vicious" version.

No matter how small, the tiniest of positive actions and thoughts, can radically alter the course of your whole journey.
It can also be a great motivator for others to hear of your "every day" successes.
Those are the ones that add up over time, to a healthier person.

I believe that we need to be our own best advocates and cheering sections.

Have a great day.
Peace and Love

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm

My proud moment today was I was feeling very upset and down on life earlier today when something bad happened and I thought about going to the vending machine to get something sweet. But I knew that that's just emotional eating, so I didn't. I just pushed forward and dealt with my work.

Which I have to continue to do. . . now.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

la_loser

I resisted multiple plates of Korma!!!

Post by la_loser » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:13 am

As I read thephatsister's comment tonight, I remembered this topic I started which has fallen off the radar.
I resisted a choc. cupcake, drinking sweet tea, and cookies. Pretty good for Ms. Snacky.
Maybe it's time to bring it back to the top and give us a chance to pat ourselves on the back a bit.

For me most recently, I was oh, so good, when we went to a wonderful Indian restaurant about an hour away from our home (already a treat) on FRIDAY! We all ordered korma, mine was the vegetable korma and the others had chicken korma. In my pre-No S life, I would have had at least a couple of huge servings plus lots of naan and an appetizer or two as well. I am happy to report that the one substantial but not huge plate of korma and rice was absolutely awesome but I wasn't even tempted to cave and rationalize it into a NWS day. And amazingly, on the ride home, I didn't have to complain of feeling miserable or having indigestion. Amazing, how the acid reflux doesn't act up near as much when I'm behaving myself!

So how about it---what you have resisted lately?

Merry

Re: Post Your Proud Moments-I Stayed on Habit and Resisted!

Post by Merry » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:37 am

I've had 2 bags of chocolate chips in my cupboard for a week & haven't gotten into them yet! That's pretty unheard of for me (uneaten chocolate in the house?!) I'm hoping to do some baking on my next S day & give most of it away (it's Pastor Appreciation Month for those who are so inclined). I'm excited I don't have to go out and replace either of those bags!

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I love this thread....I think it's my favorite. I've read all the responses at least 3 times...

When I was on vacation last week we visited a chocolate factory in Vermont. DELICIOUS!!! I enjoyed every sample without guilt. I bought my hubbie some chocolate & didn't open the package before I gave it to him either! At the same I bought one piece of my absolute favorite chocolate.... a peanut butter cup. Now, this is FABULOUS chocolate.... DELIGHTFUL chocolate... AMAZING chocolate.... but I was full of chocolate at the time and put the bag in my purse. Now, six days later, it's in my kitchen cupboard waiting for me to be hungry for chocolate. WHAT???? I didn't EAT it yet? Nope....haven't even thought about it much. I'll absolutely enjoy it when I want it, but right now, it's just sitting there as a reminder that I'm learning to control my food instead of being controlled by it. Yeah me!!!!

janie

la_loser

Look at what Pickle DIDN'T EAT! --Indeed proud moments!

Post by la_loser » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:24 pm

I've brought this in from Pickle's entry this morning elsewhere on this board. . . Seems a great addition for this topic too!
From Pickle: Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:50 am Post subject: Counting Calories.. that I DIDN'T eat Reply with quote
This was my first NoS week and I only had 2 green days... mainly due to my inability to turn down freshly baked bread. Even though I had some slip-ups, I was surprised at all the things I turned down that I would have otherwise eaten:

- Toffee Blondie (2)
- homemade brownie
- candy corn
- large cookie from Panera's
- snackwell cookies
- crackers
- 1/2 a pita
- blow pops (3)
- ice cream cone

That's a lot of junk food!

I think I'm going to continue tracking all the things I turn down. It has really opened my eyes to all the empty snack calories I was eating.

Does anyone else track this?

Merry

I inhaled, but didn't chew, LOL!

Post by Merry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:35 pm

Last night I was at a function with a GREAT dessert spread (my weakness!). I happened to be standing by it & got a great whif, LOL...but I wasn't disappointed that it was an N day. I really wasn't even hungry. I've never not been hungry when faced with dessert!! This is actually the third time this week I turned down desserts at a public function, and it's like no big deal to do that. They don't control me. I don't even know how to describe how empowering that feels. It wasn't an option and I just didn't worry about it. This is so unusual for me. I hope it doesn't wear off!

Merry :-)
Respect Moderation

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:34 am

Merry you rock!!! ;)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 am

I don't even know how to describe how empowering that feels. It wasn't an option and I just didn't worry about it. This is so unusual for me. I hope it doesn't wear off!
what a great story! and it I agree with you wholeheartedly ... it certainly uncomplicates things,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:43 am

My proudest moment was driving back from an activity yesterday morning and driving right by the grocery store with the Haagen Dazs bars. I've lost count of how many I've had, but I had four on one S Day, including one right at midnight. Yesterday, I asked myself: do I want one? The answer was No!

I'm still eating enormous amounts of food on the weekend, but I'm no longer eating so much that I have to lie down. My body is teaching me when enough is enough!

It also was great to have my affectionate little 9 year old give me a hug and tell me she can tell I'm losing weight because I'm less squishy.

Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:09 pm

Hahah love what your daughter told you Kathleen :)
Good for you on the passing the store and especially good for you on the less squishy ;)
8) Debs

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:54 pm

My body is teaching me when enough is enough!
Kathleen,

that is so wonderful!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

pickle

Post by pickle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:22 am

Halloween cupcakes and candy - successfully shunned today!

Does anyone else have tons of temptation at work? I wonder if it's my co-workers' method of dealing with the stressful economy... feast during the famine?

Or... it could just be the season!

la_loser

S's everywhere--and I just say no!

Post by la_loser » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:30 am

Until I started No S-ing, I had never really been aware of the never ending flow of goodies in my office/building, etc. (First-it was in my office too but I was able to successfully put a stop to that pretty easily) . . . then there is the birthday for someone practically every day; our secretary has a big bowl of candy with little labels like "brain food" or "happy pills" on them then there's the big table in the break room with whatever people bring in from home. And a couple of people keep chocolate fixes in their drawers for any one who is having a chocolate attack! OMG--pre No-S, I would have grazed off and on all day without even giving it a thought that it "mattered!"

Today, I'm proud that although we did go out to a favorite Mexican restaurant with friends, that I (after some inner discussion in my little brain) settled on the sopa de pollo (the absolutely best chicken soup I've ever had!) and a small bowl of queso with some chips. Brought more than half home for lunch tomorrow. I wasn't stuffed but I was pleased with myself since I managed to avoid the platter with all the works. Yea me!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:39 am

Recently on a family outing (non-weekend S day) I had a chocolate brownie with sandwiches for lunch, ate 2/3 of the brownie, found that I didn't want any more and threw the rest away.

Later in the day, we had small tubs of Ben & Jerry ice cream for dessert. Again, I ate some, noticed that I was full and threw the rest away!

It made me realise how much things have changed during the nearly three years I have been NoSing. At no time in my life that I can remember could I ever have done this before. Years of dieting and bingeing meant that I could never have recognised that I was full.

Thank you, Reinhard.
Last edited by Too solid flesh on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howfunisthat

Re: Post Your Proud Moments-I Stayed on Habit and Resisted!

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:Recently on a family outing (non-weekend S day) I had a chocolate brownie with sandwiches for lunch, ate 2/3 of the brownie, found that I didn't want any more and threw the rest away.

Later in the day, we had small tubs of Ben & Jerry ice cream for desert. Again, I ate some, noticed that I was full and threw the rest away!
Wow! What wonderful experiences. To be able to throw food away...and TASTY food too...is so...well...is "thrilling" too strong of a word? I don't think so....I think it fits perfectly here!

janie

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Last week, my husband brought me a bag of Lindt chocolate balls; I'm having some trouble and he figured I could take some S time and cheer up a bit with chocolate.
It was a good idea and all, but I wondered if I could resist opening the bad until saturday.
Well, let me tell you, it was hard, especially because I've been bored, but I resisted!.
And you know, when I opened that bag on saturday, it hit me: this same chocolate was the one I ate in tears this last Saint Valentine's day, the day I decided to gobble them all up and start NoSing on the next day, so, this particular chocolate is the one that got me into NoSing and this particular chocolate showed me that I'm getting stronger at NoSing.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:08 am

Mavilu wrote: so, this particular chocolate is the one that got me into NoSing and this particular chocolate showed me that I'm getting stronger at NoSing.
Wow, awesome testimony, thanks! Merry :-)
Respect Moderation

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:01 am

Those chocolates are the best...no, they are the best of the best! Resisting those was a wonderful achievement....and to realize how much you've changed on top of resisting those is tremendous!

I'm so glad you wrote down your encouraging story! You've done really well!

janie

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:14 am

Mavilu wrote:this same chocolate was the one I ate in tears this last Saint Valentine's day... and this particular chocolate showed me that I'm getting stronger at NoSing.
That is a really touching story.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Yesterday late morning I really wanted to crack open the Halloween candy. I got deep into a fantasy of how it would taste and smell, and then someone informed me that yesterday was "National Chocolate Day" (really? like we need a special day to promote chocolate?) and then I decided I'd just have an awesome lunch and move on with life. I reminded myself that I'm planning Friday (Halloween) as a yellow day, having friends over, ordering food, the whole bit - and I pictured myself enjoying a treat then and how much more I'd ENJOY it knowing I waited for it.

(It's really a cultural thing in so many ways - we're so used to having what we want when we want it, the whole I idea of putting off and sacrifice is foreign and that is part of the new habit we're building.)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:26 pm

Gingercake....that's a fantastic success!!!!

janie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Years of dieting and bingeing meant that I could never have recognised that I was full.
Too Solid Flesh -- It is funny... in the book and on the boards I generally counsel against relying on appetite to self-regulate (kind of like relying on banks to self-regulate :-)). But no-s winds up re-training your appetite to such a degree that this really becomes almost possible. I still wouldn't rely on it -- but enjoy the coincidence! It's a great sign. I too, have noticed stunning moments like this.
And you know, when I opened that bag on saturday, it hit me: this same chocolate was the one I ate in tears this last Saint Valentine's day, the day I decided to gobble them all up and start NoSing on the next day, so, this particular chocolate is the one that got me into NoSing and this particular chocolate showed me that I'm getting stronger at NoSing.
Malivu -- this is wonderful! And I bet you enjoyed that chocolate much more as well. It's almost (well, a little) like a kind of transubstantiation.

Reinhard

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:54 am

I said no to my housemate's rhubarb crumble last night because I was genuinely full from dinner and it was a TUESDAY so no S.

Resisted having a second bowl of granola for breakfast despite feeling quite fragile at the moment due to a big presentation in a few hours. Food isn't going to help me with the presentation so I've decided I don't need that second bowl!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 am

babyprrr wrote:I said no to my housemate's rhubarb crumble last night because I was genuinely full from dinner and it was a TUESDAY so no S.

Resisted having a second bowl of granola for breakfast despite feeling quite fragile at the moment due to a big presentation in a few hours.
Well done, rhubarb crumble is particularly hard to resist!

I hope that the presentation goes well.

Nay

Post by Nay » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Today was especially hard for me at work for some reason. I was partially bored, partially irritated that I hadn't thought to take today as a day off and give myself a 4-day weekend (tomorrow, Veteran's Day, is a holiday), and partially really hungry even though I had had breakfast.

I had constant snacking urges and considered the vending machines, the breakfast line in the cafeteria, etc., etc. I ended up resisting it all, tho I did eat my lunch an hour and a half early. I had urges to snack all afternoon, too. I was steadfast until I got home for dinner, when I had a slightly larger plate of food than is usual. I made sure that my veggies had some nice butter on top, and my squash had a bit of brown sugar. I am totally satisfied now, and don't seem to have the snacking urge any longer, even though evenings used to be particularly tough for me to endure without munching on something.

I can relate to those in the threads above who have spent their lives anxious over food, always thinking about it, always craving, always eating 'diet' food and never allowing themselves just plain FOOD.

When we can resist those out-of-the-blue, nonspecific urges to eat, well, that's really something. It's something I could not have done with regularity until I started with Reinhard's system.[/code]

la_loser

A Movie without popcorn!?

Post by la_loser » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:31 am

I am proud to report that I joined some friends at the movies tonight to watch "The Secret Life of Bees" and for the first time in probably twenty years, I DID NOT BUY POPCORN!!!

Honestly I can't remember a time when I have been to the movies without buying the jumbo sized popcorn that comes with free refills. My friend said, "No popcorn?" She SAID she was impressed but she really meant, "what do you mean, you didn't buy popcorn? You always buy popcorn and I get to eat some of it!" (She really doesn't like to spend money at the movies!

So yea me--I can't believe I went to the movies on a Monday and didn't snack!

The movie was awesome by the way--very well done with a lot of food for thought.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 pm

LA.....Yeah for you! What a great feeling that must have been to enjoy the movie without the munching...

Congrats!

janie

ryan1972

Post by ryan1972 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:29 pm

I had a classic moment yesterday. I was on my way home from work and grappling with an unreasonable but persistent desire to stop for fast food. The angel and devil were on my shoulders, and the devil was winning! I practically crashed my car making last minute decision to get off the highway and get my "fix". Before I pulled into the drive-through I forced myself to keep driving but then pulled into a convenience store instead. I wandered around that store for a long time, struggling with the choice - to eat or not to eat. I ended up buying a coffee and a huge piece of cake. However, once I start the drive of shame home, something shifted in me, and I no longer wanted to eat it. I put it in the freezer for an S day.

I feel pretty good about the No S Diet, but I realize that it isn't a quick and easy fix. In some senses, it has been easy, but in others, it's a daily struggle to overcome some deeply ingrained habits.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Hey Ryan....

Congrats on the success! You actually had the contraband IN your hand & you chose not to eat it....THAT's success!

Well done....
janie

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Ryan -- what a great story! I know those feelings that propel you to the drive thru. For me, it was like some evil force had taken control over me, and I was powerless to resist it. Now with No-S, I have pretty much been able to banish the evil force, i.e. No-S has re-rooted my relationship with food in a much saner place, but it was inspiring to hear how you handled your incident. The next time I find myself in that kind of situation, I know I'll think of your post and act accordingly. Thanks for sharing -- a big help to me!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:23 pm

The angel and devil were on my shoulders, and the devil was winning!
Every time you resist the angel gets stronger and the devil gets weaker. You're pumping that angel up, taking him to the gym. Your angel's going to look like Tony Atlas soon -- the devil won't even bother showing up.

Congratulations!

Reinhard

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm

I like this thread.

The temptation here wasn't a big and obvious one, but one that illustrates Reinhard's "gentle pressure on the eyes" thing. I was really, really hungry as I was making myself some lunch today.

I made a fried egg sandwich and had sliced up an orange. My dinner plates are the usual 10" plates, and when I sliced the orange and cut the sandwich in half, the food more or less filled the plate with a few little white spaces here and there. I started to play with rearranging the food so I could put something else on the plate, caught myself and laughed.

Naw, a sandwich like that and a piece of fruit is really more than plenty for lunch, for heaven's sake!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I had what was, for me, an amazing experience yesterday. I had been out running around doing errands since 8 am, everything was taking longer than expected, it was almost 3 pm, and I was starting to get hungry. As I strolled through the food court at the mall, I thought (a) there aren't any really great lunch choices here, and (b) maybe I should just get a little snack to tide me over until I get home.

Well, instantaneously, without the slightest pause, my next thought was: "Oh right, I don't snack". Not "My diet doesn't allow me to snack", or "I'll be breaking the rules if I snack", or "Is it really worth it to have a red day" or "What would be a better snack out of a range of not very good choices", etc. ... no weighing of pros and cons, no tempting fate, just plain old "I am not a snacker".

After years of agonizing over food choices, it was such a revelation to me to have that matter-of-fact thought bubble up on its own. I don't snack -- end of story!

It was then easy to dash over to the salad bar of the grocery store across the street, where I got a dandy veggie/chicken salad, an apple, and a cup of coffee, and had a wonderful lunch!

I'd never really thought of this habit thing as also having a "self-talk" dimension, but if this is where my self-talk is heading, I know I'm going in the right direction!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:38 pm

You know, self-identifying as a non-snacker is just TOO cool.

"I'm not a snacker." That's a USEFUL label!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:19 pm

This past Wednesday, husband and I attended a bi-weekly Bible study. They usually snack before getting on with the program. I brought leftover oatmeal & dark chocolate chip cookies that I had baked this last Sunday.*

We grabbed a glass of water each (other option being soda, of course) and chatted with the folks who were snarfing down the smorgasbourg of cookies, chips, and crackers with blue cheese. That last nibbly was especially tempting, so I just did not make eye-contact with it.

All the while, I was thinking, "It is 6:30 pm, didn't you all just eat dinner?!?"

To which they might have replied no, but still....my brain has started re-wiring to see mealtimes as most important.

At the end of the evening, I left the last few cookies for the hosts' children. :D

*And the cookies made it to Weds. untouched in the freezer!

~Anna

Who will now go out with husband for our pre-planned treat of two doughnuts & milk from a local bakery.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:54 pm

BuckeyePink wrote:That last nibbly was especially tempting, so I just did not make eye-contact with it.

Anna

I LOVE what you wrote....next time I'm tempted by some tempting cookies I'll avoid eye contact with them too! It obviously works 'cause you succeeded! Good for you Anna!!!!

Janie

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:48 pm

For some reason today, despite feeling full after dinner I was craving something sweet. I had two plums but all my thoughts went to this batch of peanut butter cookies I had baked on Sunday, just screaming to be eaten.

After a great deal of internal conflict and worrying that having one cookie would 1. make my day a red 2. turn into a full blown binge as 'breaking' a NoS day tends to do for me. The irony is that I remember those cookies not being that amazing due to me putting in too much sugar ( or maybe since NoS, my tastebuds are now extra sensitive to sugar but that's another story)

So what did I end up doing? I had a small taste..a piece as big as my nailbed. Once I remembered what the cookie tasted like and how sweet and sickly it actually was, I decided it wasn't worth having a red on my Habitcal for. And now I don't feel like I'm restricting myself or being unkind to myself. I'm glad I had only a taste and did not eat a whole cookie which would inevitably lead to guilt and a binge.

scaissie

Post by scaissie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Today I made coffee instead of getting into the leftover pumpkin pie!! I put a piece of the pie in the freezer for the weekend and am saving the rest for my son and husband to eat later this evening.
Shannon

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:08 am

There are these Trader Joe's cookies that only appear during December and we wait all year to eat them, the same with Panettone, which is a tradition in my country that immigrants brought with them from Italy and we just bought two boxes of cookies and two boxes of Panettone to start the first weekend with a bang!, however, I can hear them calling my name already so, let's hope that I can post in this thread by the end of the week!.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:06 pm

I bought my daughter a milkshake today....she drank half of it & handed me the rest. She's only three, but already understands the concept of stopping when she's full. Amazing. Anyway...there I was trapped in the car with half a fresh chocolate milkshake....and it was in the front cupholder....totally within an arm's length....calling my name....loudly. I reached for it...I put the straw in my mouth....I tasted....and said, "Yuck....I don't want that!", and put it down. The rest went triumphantly in the trash. Technically, I swallowed about 12 calories of shake...so is today a green day? ABSOLUTELY!!! I put a milkshake...a CHOCOLATE milkshake in the trash....by myself....without being threatened with bodily harm or anything....and no one had to pry my fingers off the cup. I'm definitely counting today as green....maybe even bright neon lime green!

janie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:19 pm

Janie!! You totally rock!!!!!!!!!!
That's like when I threw the stale donut out my car window :wink:

You should definitely be very proud of yourself!!!!! :wink:
Love,
8) Debs

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 pm

This week is the first full-green week for me (so far...but I'm almost there!) I've had to face the following and came out a victor:

1.) Husband bringing home a whole grocery bag of leftover baked goodies from a workplace bake sale. I brought in most of them to my workplace for everyone else and put three things in the freezer for tomorrow. :)

2.) Retirement Party for a coworker. They served fruit, cheese, crackers and cake. I didn't even have punch and was still politely sociable.

3.) Had a tremendously emotional moment this afternoon which resolved positively. I did not run to the vending machine for chocolate comfort but took a 10 minute walk instead to calm my nerves.

I am looking forward to official weigh-in day tomorrow morning. :-)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Deb...thanks so much! Stale donuts & chocolate shakes have no power over the two of us!!!!!!

BuckyePink...Good for you! You had a lot of victories this week! Enjoy your two well-deserved "S" days...

janie

orangemeg

Post by orangemeg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:13 am

My roommate's boyfriend brought over some Moose Munch tonight. The kind with some caramel popcorn AND some milk-chocolate-covered caramel popcorn, as well as a variety of nuts.

(See?: http://www.amazon.com/Moose-Munch-Popco ... B0000DH809 )

I went to eat some at first, since I love Moose Munch and I rarely have it, since it is kind of expensive and hard-to-find as far as sweet snacks go.

But then I remembered NoS. And I turned it down. And I'm feeling pretty good about that, now. (At the time I was kind of bummed out, but I obviously didn't need it.)

thomer

Post by thomer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:21 pm

There was Christmas candy on my desk yesterday. My favorite kind of Christmas candy!

I did not eat it. It is sitting in my purse waiting for Saturday. I might share with my family.....

la_loser

Just say no! . . . to holiday goodies

Post by la_loser » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:14 pm

That's awesome. I think that this month will be a great one to add lots of entries to this thread!

After Halloween, I brought a big bowl of leftover packets of M & M's and Snickers and other S stuff and intentionally put them on a shelf in my office for all the world to see, deciding it would be a good test for me. I am pleased (and amazed really) to report that I have yet to eat one piece of that chocolate. And I'm getting so many visitors to my office who pop by to say hello and oh, yeah, grab a bag or two for themselves!

Meanwhile, I'm managing to
"just say no!"

So come on everybody--just think when one of those temptations tries to get the best of you this month, just think-"ah, if I stay strong, I can add it to this thread!" Yea!

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:06 pm

said no to dessert of jelly ( my favorite kind of dessert!) and ice cream. Didn't feel deprived at all really!

Happy Cooker

Resisting freshly baked cookies

Post by Happy Cooker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:55 pm

I love to bake and this is the time of year to do it. This past week I spent several days making cookies to send to relatives. On Saturday, I did have some delicious biscotti scraps as they came out of the oven and four or five with coffee on Sunday morning (they were partly whole wheat and contain no butter, so that's not quite as decadent as it may sound). I also tried some cherry double-chocolate cookies, which I'd made on Thursday, amazing myself by resisting even the one that broke as I took it off the pan. That never would have happened before No-S.

Tuesday I made gingerbread cookies and Wednesday we decorated them. All that playing with sugar and I didn't eat any of it, not even the ones that came out kind of ugly that I knew I wouldn't send to anyone. It helped to have a damp rag to wipe my icing-covered fingers. It's weird to have dozens of homemade cookies around and not eat them, but it's a good kind of weird.

I've enjoyed reading about others' successes in this thread. All your experiences resonate with me. Good for us!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 pm

Wow!!! You are a cookie resisting Superhero!! :wink:

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:16 pm

resisted dessert of ice cream and brownies AND mint chocolates.

This was on a Monday night after a weekend of an early Christmas dinner and a buffet with friends. I felt so stuffed on Monday morning that I wasn't even tempted.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Congratulations! The enemy was coming at you from three directions and you still held your ground. :-)

Reinhard

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 am

Oh, it is lovely to read this entire thread!

I had wandered away from the No S principles, and ended up proving to myself that just "eating healthy" doesn't work for me. I need some boundaries! I had several false starts, with no more than 2-3 green days per week. :( I finally determined to resume, mostly because I don't like feeling stuffed anymore. I now have 10 successful No S days...I'm going for 21!

My biggest success....two weeks ago I was gifted with 5 tiny Lindt chocolate snowmen. (See Mavilu's post above-this is truly good chocolate!) In previous years, I would have savored each chocolate, and perhaps even shared one. They would have lasted 15 minutes, tops. LOL. This year my first thought was...wow, Lindt chocolates, my kids LOVE them! Won't they be fun in the stockings (5 people in the family). I set them on top of my computer at work. I had read an article about how having treats around but resisting them strenghtens your ability to avoid indulging. (See Reinhard's post above on Nov 12 responding to Ryan that "every time you resist, the angel gets stronger and the devil gets weaker.")

Today as I was sorting Christmas gifts, and the various items for stockings, it felt very good to know that we will each get a tiny snowman in our stockings on Christmas morning.

Happy Cooker

Post by Happy Cooker » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm impressed, CCL!

Lindt chocolate is great, so that's a tough one. I also have noticed that sharing treats is easier all the time. Sugar has much less of a hold on me than it ever did--partly it must be the combo of it being permitted but not constantly "available" (though it is in real terms always available), and partly because of the nature of sugar itself, pleasing but not appetite-satisfying so you tend to want more after you have some.

I'm also impressed that you "wandered" and came back--the positive habit has a hold on you!

Also wanted to say thanks to Debstar for affirming me as cookie-resisting superhero! I can feel that cape flapping proudly on my back.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:19 pm

This isn't so much an "I'm so proud" moment as "I'm so amazed."

At Christmas, there were tons of goodies, including homemade fudge. My sister was eating piece after piece and saying how good it was. I tasted one, and said "it's pure sugar!" Sis agreed, laughed, and said that's why she liked it.

I thought "pure sugar isn't very interesting" and quietly disposed of my piece.

Then my mind registered my reaction, and I was amazed. It made me realize that my tastes have really changed. I like more complex flavors than I used to, and "pure sugar" is... well, boring.

Several other family-traditional candies fell into that category for me this year. That's not to say I didn't eat sweets and treats - I did! - but I was far more selective and far less into quantity. I feel like I've broken out of sugar addiction at a level I've never been able to before.

I only wish my sis (very overweight) would also do so... but I know better than to push. However, when she becomes self-motivated, I will cheer her on.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 am

Good for you! That's a nice bit of NoS evolution KCCC! :wink:
8) Debs x

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:28 pm

My proud moment of the last weekend was stepping on the scale after Christmas was over. I have not gone above my starting weight of 11/12/08! I reached my goal of not gaining through the holidays. :o

I am really looking forward to the next month. ;-)
Finally giving up on Dieting!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

BuckeyePink wrote:I reached my goal of not gaining through the holidays. :o
Congratulations! That's really impressive.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:30 pm

BuckeyePink wrote:My proud moment of the last weekend was stepping on the scale after Christmas was over. I have not gone above my starting weight of 11/12/08! I reached my goal of not gaining through the holidays. :o

I am really looking forward to the next month. ;-)
Wow, hats off to you!.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:51 am

Congrat to all with such fantastic successes.

After wondering around lost in the world of diets and other 'bright' ideas, I am back to No S (forget 12 tries, this has to be around 24 or so!).

My successes this week include:

Monday - Happily drinking a cup of coccoa after dinner (no sugar & only a little milk) while bringing DH his usual couple of pieces of chocolate & a few jelly sweets (smelt awesome). When DH offered them I happily said "No thanks it is Monday" - It felt Great.

Tuesday - This was tough as I the devil was definitely urging me to have just a little something out of the sweet cupboard (2 shelves of left over Christmas sweets / nut / treats) - But I resisted and just had my coccoa and felt Very pleased with myself.

The best thing is that I feel so much better when I wake up - I am insulin resistant and find that sugar at night makes me feel lousy the next morning.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Good for you Merry!
Last night I opened a bag of Hersheys Kisses which I bought for someone else for a belated Christmas gift, and I ate about five of them sometime in the middle of the night.
This morning I flushed the whole rest of the bag down the toilet!!!
I'm sorry I didn't take off the wrappers, as I am usually a rabid anti-litterbug, but I had to dispose of them asap and I knew if I put them in the trash, I'd probably be in the trash later this afternoon fishing them out.
I suggest that you don't keep so many shelves of temptations around Merry.
It's just self torture!
Stick to your cocoa :)
8) Debs

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Debs,

Don't be too hard on yourself! I still think you had a great success...I don't know about you, but 6 months ago I wouldn't have stopped...I would have eaten the whole bag! You stopped! That's a victory! Flushing them was a great idea! I'll have to remember that when I need to get rid of something.

Hugs...janie

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:34 am

Debs

CONGRATULATIONS on only eating 5 and for removing the rest from your reach.

Unfortunately for me my DH is a chocoholic and has a couple of pieces each night - and he was given loads for Christmas.

Hugs

Mo
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:58 pm

My success is that my house is STILL full of chocolates and treats... and I'm simply not eating them. We even had a guest over the other night, and I offered her truffles and fancy cookies without a twinge of desire.

(Of course, part of this fortitude is due to an idiotic S-day that left me feeling ill... TOTALLY not interested in doing that again! N-days are such a RELIEF after excess!)

We have...
A bag of Dove chocolates
Two large tins of truffles (very good)
A tin of fancy cookies (imported chocolate-covered goodies)
An unopened box of chocolates, given as a gift
Another unopened bag of cookies, a Christmas specialty type
... and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Every now and then I look at this stuff and think "this will last me until July!" However, it won't... the family will eat it, we'll donate it to the church coffee hour, or we'll throw it away.

In a way, such excess makes me uninterested.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:12 am

KCCC - Congrats on resisting the goodies!

Every Thursday we have dinner with the In-laws and there is always pudding of some sort.

I resisted last night and just watched them have their apple pie and custard - it was surprisingly easy as there was no actual decision to make - It is Thursday therefore no seconds or sweets = pudding is not an option!

I did not fancy the lunch I brought to day and contemplated getting chips or junk from the vending machine, but sanity prevailed and I decided "Lunch may not be thrilling, but it is filling - so just eat it".

Every little success makes the next one that tiny bit easier.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:21 pm

I keep coming back to this thread because it's so encouraging to hear other's stories. Every victory takes us one step closer to being healthier....I love reading about them.

I went to the "Y" today...and then went grocery shopping. Any grocery store is a HUGE temptation for me as I used to "treat" myself quite often to something bad for me..... chocolate.... cookies.... snack food...yuck. Today I did my shopping after having a bowl of soup & a roll and I didn't even realize something until just a minute ago after all the groceries were put away....I wasn't tempted to eat ANYthing extra...no sweets...no seconds....no snacks...and I was walking around in a sea of food for at least an hour since I was doing my own shopping and shopping for a friend. I didn't look at the candy and think, "Nope, can't have that today.", or smell the fresh bagels and determine not to have one. I know this might seem minor, but this is an amazing moment for me...I didn't have to resist temptation...there WASN'T any! THIS is new...THIS is quite mind-boggling. My mind was on shopping...not eating! I've been dieting all my life...literally...and I can't remember a time when I wasn't either struggling to stay on a diet or in-eating-out-of-control mode. Today gave me a glimpse of the future if I choose to keep working on this...there WILL be a day when eating will be a non-issue....when I can walk through a day and enjoy eating, but not be controlled by it.

Okay...I'm done...just had to write this out & share it. Yeeee haaa!

janie

adriana

Post by adriana » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:46 pm

I've known about No-S since before the book was even thought of, but wasn't able to string together even a few green days until I started again two weeks ago. (Pop has always been my downfall--once I was able to not drink a bottle of pop on most days I could start to think about everything else).

I'm posting today because of a success at lunch I am quite excited about. I belong to a service club that meets weekly for lunch. This week our lunch included a dessert--some sort of bar made by a place that always has sweets I like. Not only did I not eat it, I didn't save it for later (it certainly wouldn't be any good by Saturday!), and I didn't look at it more closely to see what kind it was. I feel especially good about this success because last night's pizza, while one plate, was a rather "piled up" one plate, and it's nice to have a really obvious win.

Thank you to everyone who has been posting recently. Reading these forums has helped me keep on track.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:48 am

adriana wrote:I've known about No-S since before the book was even thought of, but wasn't able to string together even a few green days until I started again two weeks ago. (Pop has always been my downfall--once I was able to not drink a bottle of pop on most days I could start to think about everything else).

I'm posting today because of a success at lunch I am quite excited about. I belong to a service club that meets weekly for lunch. This week our lunch included a dessert--some sort of bar made by a place that always has sweets I like. Not only did I not eat it, I didn't save it for later (it certainly wouldn't be any good by Saturday!), and I didn't look at it more closely to see what kind it was. I feel especially good about this success because last night's pizza, while one plate, was a rather "piled up" one plate, and it's nice to have a really obvious win.

Thank you to everyone who has been posting recently. Reading these forums has helped me keep on track.
That is quite a good one!! :)

I had one the other day. I was soooo hungry and didn't have a healthy snack with me. But someone put out a chocolate cake. It didn't even look very good. It looked so obviously boxed. Sooo I started to cut a piece in half and then decided, 'NO NOT WORTH IT,' and left the plastic knife where it was. I walked away from the cake. Yaaaay! :)

wrigleyj

Post by wrigleyj » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41 am

Hah, this is just the thread I needed.

Last night, on the way home from work my front tyre (on my motorcycle) started to lose air. I was only halfway home and in the middle of nowhere (for the UK) so I foolhardily pressed on. I managed to limp into a petrol station with a totally flat front tyre, with my veins coursing with adrenalin from holding the bike under control and while I waited for somebody to come and help me (it was well past dinner time by now and it was cold) I managed to overcome the need to go into the shop and fill myself with sweet things.

Today is therefore my last N day towards 21 days on habit. Since it will be difficult to screw that up with the next two being S days, I'm very nearly there!
It's Hammer time!

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Yesterday I had two. We had a free lunch at work, where I filled my plate and ate a nice balanced meal. However, there was also a platter of huge cookies, and normally I would have had one after the lunch. But I didn't.

In the evening, we went out to the movies. We have some passes that offer 2 admissions, free popcorn, and free drinks. I suggested we not use those passes, since neither me nor my husband (he is also No-Sing) would eat the popcorn. So we didn't.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:38 am

Went to my friend's house for a casual birthday get-together. I was stuffed after dinner ( takeaway curry) so I saved a slice of the birthday cake for the next day. ( my noS mod is that I'm allowed to eat whatever I want for breakfast. This stops me from a 'now or never' attitude when it comes to sweet things).

I had it this morning. It was very nice :)

Consu

Post by Consu » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 pm

I'm a newbie (21 days of being a No-S-er) chiming in. At my job, there'll be treats sometimes--and not healthy ones, either. Yesterday someone brought in not one but TWO big bags of chips. WITH DIP, y'all! Chips are one of my "trigger" foods. But because I've been on No S for 3 weeks now, it was easier for me to pass by everybody munching and not munch with everybody else.

The interesting thing is, in the past I would have felt deprived. I didn't feel that way at all. My exact thought was, "It's Tuesday; I'm not into snacks on Tuesday. Saturday I can have Cape Cod chips!" (Which I like better!)

It was a proud moment for me and one that I was at peace with myself. :D

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:05 pm

Consu...Congratulations! Resisting chips is indeed a big deal! You're doing great....

janie

bluebunny27

The Cake

Post by bluebunny27 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Good thread here. I like reading those success stories.
;-)

My proud moment ... well I have had many since I have been losing weight regularly now.

I'd say, when I went to the doctor's and weighed myself for the first time after not having been there for a long long time and finding out I had lost about 30 pounds (since the last time I had weighed myself about 2 and a half months earlier) Big numbers are usually nice to see.

Also the other night a lil' moment ... after I went to my parents' for dinner and my mum filled this plate for me with this rich cake, and I didn't want to make her think I didn't like it, but I was full ... so I sneaked back in the kitchen and put 90% of it back in the cake box, I cut it nice and straight, it wasn't all messed up ... lol ! I only had a tiny bite in the end, it's big when you can resist a huge temptation.

Also I find that postponing eating food works well for me ... so I would save some food for later instead of eating it right away, when I have already had my one plate of food for example ... I,ll save the extra rice or potatoes, pasta ... for lunch the next day. Being on No S creates more leftover food in my case, since the same amount is made each evening but I don't eat everything anymore, I have lunch food ready to eat up ... works fine for me.

I say I'm on a light No S diet since I snack occasionally, only now I eat healthy food when I snack and not too much either ... also I don't really pay attention to S or no S days, I just make sure to stay on track and not misbehave too often, but there aren't a lot of rules for me ... just the rule to be good and not have too many bad days in a month or many bad days in a row, it works out. I say you do the things that work for you in general.

I do the one plate thing, no seconds ... I watch what I eat, havent been to a fast food place in 4 months for example... I can control pretty much any cravings, i just don't buy those items anymore ... since I don't have them at home, I don't eat those bad foods ... the only thing I have problems with is pizza, the one delivered from restaurants, a couple of my bad days have been due to pizza deliveries, even at someone else's place during the superbowl for example ... Pizza would be my arch enemy. ;-)

Marc ;-)

janmarie

First time reader/poster, two week NoS'r

Post by janmarie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:21 am

When i read the 'post your proudest moments' i thought 'those chocolate chips in the pantry' and then wow! there are other posts about chocolate chips! that was great to see! i am an absolute chocoholic, have been putting a few in my oatmeal in the morning and i am really sticking with this and i am amazed at myself!
janmarie

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:20 pm

On Friday night I went to my in-laws with my husband for pizza. I had 3 pieces, which was fine. But then everybody wanted to get Dairy Queen. I didn't have any!! It was kind of miserable as they all enjoyed theirs and I sat there empty-handed, but it was worth it in the end. Dairy Queen has WAY too many calories anyway; store brand ice cream is much better for you.

tlingit

Took kids to ice cream and didn't have some!

Post by tlingit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Took the kids for fancy ice cream after skating and didn't have any. Not even tastes stolen from the kids. They love no-s days, since now their treats are safe from me. I used to take a chocolate tax from them and feel good about having changed that habit. After the first bit of denial, I was fine, and enjoyed watching them have their treat.

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:53 pm

It's not that big a deal, I suppose, because I don't know if I feel good about it or crappy about it, but I walked by a bowl of pretty little silver Hershey's Kisses NO FEWER than 45 times today and did not grab one. My fingers didn't even twitch. My stomach did though.

What's funny is, I never thought I even liked chocolate that much. But I guess when you have something nearly every day, it's easy to let it sort of blend in with the rest of your intake.

So that was fun. Now to head home and face the birthday cake in the fridge. I think I'll bring it to work tomorrow, and give them all a taste of their own medicine. Nasty chocolate-tempting devils. :twisted:
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 pm

I think that *IS* a big deal!!
Good for you!!!
That's the hardest thing to do.. Resisting something put right in front of you.
Nice work!
8) Debs

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 pm

Last night I was proud cos' I really wanted a huge 2nd plate of spaghetti (I love pasta so they are a strong temptation) I had the huge plate all ready to eat but then I felt guilty cos' I had already had a nice plate so I thought I would feel guilty about 5 seconds after finishing eating that 2nd plate, so what's the point, to feel miserable ... especially since I was planning on stepping on the scale the next morning .... I chose to put the plate down and save it for another day instead. I drank a couple of large coffee mugs of water and soon I wasn't hungry anymore. I was happy I had resisted.
;-)

I weighed myself the next morning (Today) and I am dangerously close to a 50 pound weight loss now ...
50 pounds in 5 months seems like a goal I am ready to achieve (280 to 230).

Less than 2 pounds left to lose until march 31st and I'm right on track for that @ the moment. 231.6 pounds this morning, I tried a coat that wasn't fitting me 5 months ago, (I had to leave it unzipped) fits better than ever now... zipped it all the way up too. ;-)

Marc ;-)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:19 am

Wicked Marc!!!!
You are doing amazingly well!!! :D
Great job!!!
8) Debs

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks Debs, you rock n' roll ! ;-)

I am sticking with
No S, shovelgloving for 15 minutes in the mornings 5 times a week and also doing cardio exercises for 45 minutes in the early evenings 5 times a week too ...

I like challenges so it is likely I will try to do something like the 100 burpees challenge too, probably not now but in a few months ... more info here :
http://100burpees.blogspot.com/

Marc ;-)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 pm

That's like the sequence in yoga, but with the added jumping up from squatting.. looks like a really good addition!
Thanks for the inspiration.
I'm happy you have stuck with your routine to see some serious results!
People need real reminders like yours to stick to their guns and not be trying to get immediate gratification and away from a quick results mindset.
Thanks for that reminder!
To me that's really impressive!
8) Debs

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Burpees are really hard to do ... when you start and you are not in shape, you can hardly do 10 ... maybe even 5. But it's one of the best exercises too, since it's so hard, you make progress quickly.

You start on day 1 and do 1 ... easy ... but by the 100th day, you have to do 100 in a single day (not all at once, thankfully !) This is something I'll try to do in a few months probably, once I am done with the weight loss and I go in the toning phase ! :-)

NCSunshine

Proud Moments

Post by NCSunshine » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:02 pm

I commend your idea of celebrating the good things we accomplish no matter how big or how small. It's a given that when we feel good about ourselves we will achieve much much more than when we feel badly about our behavior.

I approached the upcoming S days with worry that I would eat everything in sight and read comments and the podcast on Friday to fortify myself. I took the advice I found here, relaxed and ate my way through Saturday from morning til midnight! I didn't worry or scold myself however and on Sunday, I did very well and today am fine with one-plating.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 pm

This is only Day 4 of No-S for me, and I find the "no sweets" part toughest. That said, my husband came home from work and asked me to put some chocolate chip cookies in the oven for him (we have dough shaped into individual balls in the freezer, leftover from a recent event). This task would be torturous under any circumstances, but it was especially so because I was really hungry and just 30 minutes from eating dinner.

But I made him the cookies. I handled the dough (which is SO GOOD) without eating the little bits that fell on the counter. I smelled them baking. I took them out of the oven, perfectly brown on the edges and gooey in the middle. Then I watched him eat them, still warm, with vanilla bean Haagen Dazs ice cream.

It was hell! I talked my way through the process; husband offered some to me and I declined and told him about no-S for the first time. Then I announced out loud that if I resisted, I could write about my victory on this forum. So here I am.

Resisting will get easier, right?! I had to sternly tell myself that if I gave in today, it would only be that much harder to do the right thing tomorrow.

Danger still lurks. He didn't eat all three cookies--he has no food issues whatsoever and can stop at any time. So I put the last cookie in a ziploc bag and tucked it behind the butter in our fridge, out of sight. I have to send it to work with him tomorrow morning, or flush it down the toilet. It'll have to come down to that.

But for now, yay!
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Big yay is right! :) Good for you!

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:59 am

Vigilant,

If you can do what you did on DAY 4, you are serious! I'm not sure I could have done that, and I'm on like DAY 64. My hat is so off to you! Chocolate chip cookies with HD ice cream would probably be one of my top 3 desserts. I love HD ice cream. In fact, I don't buy it because I'm not confident of my ability not to eat the whole pint in a sitting. I buy Edy's instead which I can dole out in reasonable portions. I just save the HD for special occasions only . . .lol . . .but your post was literally making my mouth water.

You go!!!

Anita

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks Anita and KCCC!

I didn't mean to be so graphic in my description of the ice cream and cookies, lol! But I guess I was trying to convey how tempting it was for me.

I got through Day 4, but let's see if I even make it to Day 64, as you have. :) Good for you! And I'm impressed by what you said about the ice cream because whether it's a pint of HD or Edy's or something of even lesser quality, I gotta eat the entire pint at one go unless there is something substantial to go along with it (like cookies) to fill me up before I can polish the whole thing off.

Hope that changes after awhile. :roll:
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com