second day! very disappointed

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lighthouse

second day! very disappointed

Post by lighthouse » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 am

Hi everyone

I must say that I am aa bit disappointed as I put on 1kg for some reason. I stuck to the rules yesterday, ate 3 healthy meals, no snacks and I feel sooo bloated and worse. Has anyone else experienced something like this before?

Thanks

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 am

A kilo, that's 2.2 lbs in a day; I seriously doubt that if you have indeed gained a kilo, it was because of yesterday's meals, since you would had to have consumed 7700 extra calories in one day.
And I find hard to believe that you did so.

For what it's worth, though, yes I did gain weight when I first started the NoS, but it took me about a month of wanton eating within my three meals.
And then, I gained only 2 lbs and I lost them and more.

lighthouse

Post by lighthouse » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:37 am

I really hope so as I feel very down today but I will keep going.
To be honest I felt very good yesterday as I was in control howeverI really need to reduce my weight

rose

Post by rose » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am

Please have a look at the chart in my signature.
Up to 2kg variations are not significant in my experience unless it's an average variation.
Keep in mind that the contents of your bowels, stomach, bladder, the water contained in your body and which varies depending on hydration level and water retention, all this is not weightless.

PS: also, the only reason I lost weight in my 1st month is because I started right after the winter holiday excesses. Had I started at any other date, I would probably have been stalled at first as I was in my 2nd month, or even gained weight as some people do.
NoS is a life-long learning process: first focus on habits, then after a few weeks look at your portion sizes, your exercise...
And then, adjust all life long depending on life events...
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

la_loser

Patience, my dear

Post by la_loser » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 am

Lighthouse,

You're probably too young to remember the old song, "We've only just begun. . ." but be assured that the No-S journey is one that will EVENTUALLY get you somewhere.

1. Reinhard is very clear that the weight loss is SLOW but SUSTAINABLE.
2. When you have some time, browse through lots of old topics that have the word SCALE in them to get a vivid picture of how No-Sers have found that weighing yourself every day can be a real distraction. (I'm still having to get used to it myself.) Reinhard has made a number of comments as have many others about the fact that your weight fluctuates from day (or hour!) to day (hour).

3. Some people have actually gotten rid of their scales and instead are relying on how their clothes fit or their waist measurement.

4. I remember someone saying they made a HabitCal to track their ability to stay off the scales every day. (perhaps had a once a week or month series of weigh-ins tp get an average).

5. Just for grins (for you!), I just weighed myself before responding to this message. I weighed three times in a twenty minutes period. THREE different totals on the same scales. You know I did not gain or lose three pounds in 20 minutes!)

It's one of those things where you just have to trust the system and let nature. . . take its course. Meanwhile, get your habits ingrained so that you began to eat correctly without even thinking about it.

Time, time, time. Some decided to leave to go to another quicker weight loss program but were back in no time because although other programs promise faster loss, they are, for most people, not sustainable, and you fall off the wagon really hard and it's more difficult to jump back on. With No S, if you mess up-it's one day--it's not huge and as someone said, You just mark it [red, green, yellow] and move on.

Good luck, hang in there. We're all in this together.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 am

On Monday morning I was 148 and this morning I was 145. It sucks, but I really just think we have crazy fluctuations. I can't even begin to know exactly why each time, but the reasons other people have said definitely contribute.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:44 pm

GIve it time. A good, long time. Learn your habits, focus on stickng to your meals and avoiding the S's. Once you have that down (give it a month, heck 3 months!), THEN worry about the scale. I've been nosing for almost 2 years now, have dropped 35lbs (and still plan to lose that much more). I have had several slip-ups, but I keep striving to do better. I don't fret about my weight so much at all anymore, but I make sure my meals are good, and I stay on habit as much as possible.

I have gone from a size 22 down to a snug 16, and hoping for a comfy 14 one day. Take it day by day, meal by meal and don't worry too much about the scale, initially.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm

1 KG? That's nothing. I gained (and then lost) 10 pounds in a single day.

Seriously, nothing meaningful in terms of results is going to happen in a single day. Months are the smallest granularity you should really be thinking in terms of.

Reinhard

vmsurbat

Re: second day! very disappointed

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:17 pm

lighthouse wrote:Hi everyone

I must say that I am aa bit disappointed as I put on 1kg for some reason. I stuck to the rules yesterday, ate 3 healthy meals, no snacks and I feel sooo bloated and worse. Has anyone else experienced something like this before?

Thanks
Lighthouse,

I started NoS last month. I experienced a period of severe bloating the first week. (Not all week long--just two days or so if I remember correctly). I am not 100% sure why--I never had trouble with that before (or at least to that degree). I can remember that one evening when I wasn't particularly hungry, I still ate a good sized plate of food just because it was "allowed." I think it is possible that I was eating too much at one sitting those first few days, knowing that I would not be eating before the next meal time. I have not continued to have trouble with bloating at all. I think one reason might be that I am much better at estimating the amount to eat at one meal.

Also, I weigh myself only once per month (on the first). On Aug. 1st (two weeks into NoS), I was down a couple of pounds... Come Sept. 1st, I hope to see no weight gain--we've had a solid month of visitors, vacations, special events, birthdays, etc. August is a killer month for out family with lots of legitimate S days.... Even so, I've managed to "not-be-an-Idiot" all month long, so that makes me a NoS "victor" anyway!

To sum up, focus on habit (3 meals, no snacks, sweets, or seconds except on S days). If you are still feeling uncomfortably bloated after a good week of habit building, try to cut down *a bit* on the *quantity* of food you are eating.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Short term gains and losses are really not what you should be worrying over.
The difference over a few weeks or even a month is what you need to put your mind on.
Sorry for your frustration, but you have to change your mindset because this diet is not a quick thing which you will see instant next day results. Try using a week at minimum as your measuring stick for progress, and even that can be disheartening if you are expecting the kind of quick loss that crash diets promise.

I lost 17 pounds the first year I was on this and that was with an average of about two failures per week.

ps. @ Nicole, I'm not sure I read your post right. How is it that going from 148 to 145 in two days sucks??? Maybe you reversed those numbers in your post but if I lost three pounds in a week I'd be jumpin up and down and hollering hooray! :)
LOL

pps.. Since my recommitting to NoS and have lost 4 lbs over a little less than 4 weeks so far!

Good luck!
Peace and Love,

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Don't be discouraged! No S works, and the beginning is the hardest. I re-started No S one and a half weeks ago. The scale went down, back up... even a half pound more than I started... and now I think I'm in the dropping zone thank goodness! The scale is upsetting, but I'm addicted to seeing the numbers... I just can't help it. I know full well that if I weigh myself now and then in one hour, it will be completely different. Look for the changes you get from eating better and exercising and your clothes feeling looser. I find keeping a daily food and exercise journal is great because if I cheat I have to write it down. If I succeed in following everything right... then I feel triumphant.

Is there a safe diet plan out there where you lose dramatically over the first few days? This a a long-term plan and it does take some time. When I did No S a few years ago (pre-baby, pre-bakery job)... I lost about 15lbs in 3 months, and little of it was in the first few weeks. (and I'm hoping to do that again...)

GOOD LUCK, STICK WITH IT!
oliviamanda

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:58 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:ps. @ Nicole, I'm not sure I read your post right. How is it that going from 148 to 145 in two days sucks??? Maybe you reversed those numbers in your post but if I lost three pounds in a week I'd be jumpin up and down and hollering hooray! :)
LOL
LoL, it sucks because it usually jumps back up. I hate that.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Oh okay that part was missing from what you wrote. I understand.
Yeah that's what I mean about not really giving too much credence to daily fluctuations. They can be a giant mind $*@!!

Quick losses always make me so happy and then I see it go up again next day. LOL :)
It's water weight.

So yeah, just keep checking on the long term trends and keep moving forward and inching towards success little by little!

Peace
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness