habit trafficlighting as a visual motivator

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Betty

habit trafficlighting as a visual motivator

Post by Betty » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:49 am

For the past two months I've had fewer failures, and, in part, I think it's the new way I deal with the habitcal.

On the first day of the month I mark all Fridays and Saturdays yellow. Then I figure out what the NWS days are (This month it's my daughter's birthday) and I mark those yellow too. Then, immediately, I mark all the other days green.

It looks so pretty I just don't want to mess it up. Plus, I only have to spend time on my habitcal if I have a failure.

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Great idea! Time efficient AND motivating.

Might try that myself...

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:07 pm

Betty,

that is interesting way to do it! maybe will think about that!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:49 pm

I really like that idea, so much so that I immediately went to my HabitCal to implement it.

Then I realized that it works really, really well for No-S, but not for my exercise habitcal or my project one . They are both more erratic in terms of when the yellow days fall, because my rule of thumb is just "five days out of seven" and I put the yellow days wherever my life needs a little breathing room. (Keeping the "5 of 7" rule just keeps me from getting lazy and taking tons of yellow days. I really think about "do I want a pass today, or do I want to save it for later, because it looks as if the end of the week will be busier..." )

Still, I really like it. I think I'll do it on the No-S one, just because it makes me plan my NWS more thoughtfully.

iggy

Post by iggy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Fantastic idea! It suggests a motto: "Success is my default mode."
Fall down seven times; get up eight.

tgp157

Post by tgp157 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 pm

iggy wrote:"Success is my default mode."
I like that!!!
Pam
A Success Story in the Making
NoS-ing since 6/1/09