just found diet--why all the diet food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulawylma

just found diet--why all the diet food

Post by paulawylma » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:07 am

I just found the diet book at my local bookstore and was pretty excited about it until I started reading these posts. Several people have posted there menu plans and there seems to be a lot of diet foods like lean cuisine and fiberOne cereal. Why? From what I've read the no s diet allows anything except sweets. At the risk of sounding rude, I cannot believe that that many people actually like lean cuisine better than the regular food choices. These menu posters don't seem to be eating very much either. I believe one person cited 1/2 cup of cereal, for most cereals a serving is 3/4 to 1 cup--and that's not enough to keep me going until lunch.

I don't mean to sound critical. It's just that I thought I found this diet which was similiar but simpler to what I've been thinking of and logged on to get an idea of how it works--and from the posts it sounds like a typical diet in practice. Have I just looked at the wrong posts? I was all psyched up but now I'm a little depressed. Is the no S diet real or just a bunch of hype?

anndelise

Re: just found diet--why all the diet food

Post by anndelise » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:14 am

paulawylma wrote:I just found the diet book at my local bookstore and was pretty excited about it until I started reading these posts. Several people have posted there menu plans and there seems to be a lot of diet foods like lean cuisine and fiberOne cereal. Why? From what I've read the no s diet allows anything except sweets. At the risk of sounding rude, I cannot believe that that many people actually like lean cuisine better than the regular food choices. These menu posters don't seem to be eating very much either. I believe one person cited 1/2 cup of cereal, for most cereals a serving is 3/4 to 1 cup--and that's not enough to keep me going until lunch.

I don't mean to sound critical. It's just that I thought I found this diet which was similiar but simpler to what I've been thinking of and logged on to get an idea of how it works--and from the posts it sounds like a typical diet in practice. Have I just looked at the wrong posts? I was all psyched up but now I'm a little depressed. Is the no S diet real or just a bunch of hype?
For starts, a number of people are coming from a previous dieting background. Some habits are a little harder to get rid of. And some people even want to keep those habits.

Also, some people have cooking or meal making abilities, others (like me) don't. For those who don't, prepackaged meals are a viable option.

Also, some people like to plan their meals, some of us couldn't plan today's meal if our life depended on it.

NoS-ing sets an overall structure to meals (the No snacks, no sweets, no seconds). What people do with those actual meal times will vary. The great thing about NoS-ing is that it can accommodate for all these different types of mixes in people, their backgrounds, their expectations, their habits, their choices, etc.

About a year ago I heard or read something to the effect of...
Exercise --> Fit Body
Good Nutrition --> Healthy Body
Accurate Eating --> Weight Loss

No S fits into the accurate eating part.
Shovelgloving fits into the exercise part.
But as of yet nothing here covers the nutrition part.

Some people do different exercises than shovelgloving. Some run, some walk, some do aerobics, some do martial arts, some do weightlifting, some do nothing at all yet, etc.

And just as people's approach to exercise differs, so does people's approach to nutrition. Some people use prepackaged meals, some use points, some use GI index, etc. Myself, I am beginning to use "The World's Healthiest Foods" at www.whfoods.com I don't know how to cook, and the whfoods book covers some very simple methods involving very short times and nutritionally rich foods.

But none of these differences in nutritional approaches alter that overall NoS structure.

And finally, just because a few people have decided to incorporate a few extra 'rules' along with their NoS-ing, doesn't mean that all NoS-ers do those extra rules, nor even agree with them. But it's each of our individual choices, and not a reflection of the No S Diet, nor of reinhard's efforts.

My suggestion?
Take what you want from the No S Diet, and ignore if you want other people's 'extras'. (though once in a while a gem might be found, but again, that would be your own personal choice if you wanted to include it or not)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:19 am

The No-S diet allows a lot of variation, and you've found posts from people who either like that stuff or can't let old habits go yet. :)

Eat what you want - as long as you stick to the basics as described in No-S. No snacks, sweets, seconds, etc. That's what you need to do. Work on building habit, and it will work for you.

I've been doing this for a while now, and I DEFINITELY eat real meals. :) I would venture to say that most people who've been doing this a while do too. (In fact, I cook more than I used to, and even enjoy baking on weekends.)

As for portions, they vary dramatically by individual. A tiny woman will need/want less than a big guy. So, what looks unreasonable to you may not be to the person you're looking at. Also, portion sizes tend to naturally downsize a bit over time - not necessarily intentionally, or in a diet-mindset way, just a natural result of training the body to eat more regularly. In addition, over time, many of us have found that we are gravitating to generally healthier choices - but slowly and gently.

Choices are very individual, and people are at very different places on the transitions I've described. Don't feel discouraged by other people's decision - make your own, just keeping the "rules" in mind.

la_loser

No S--Eat Real Food! Yes!

Post by la_loser » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:56 am

paulawylma,

Welcome to No S. I think as you get more familiar with the No S plan/philosophy, you will discover that most of us do eat real food-definitely not diet foods or fake foods as Reinhard has called them, I think.

Quality is the key--just today I was reading someone's post that people are really learning to enjoy quality food and not be taken in by fast food or convenience foods. . . see this link, especially the comments at the bottom.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 7261#47261

One of the most awesome characteristics of the No S diet is that absolutely no special foods are required-or barred for that matter--as long as you adhere to the basic 3 rules with the one exception. It will result in slow weight loss (don't expect it to be fast!) but it will be sustainable. Of all the S.A.D. (substance accounting diets) adventures I've been on, in my life, not one of them was as simple to follow and as rationale.

I know it sounds too simple to work--but give it a chance. Before you rule out No S as a solution, be sure to read lots more posts and listen to some of Reinhard's podcasts; I can promise you that it is definitely not like anything you've ever tried. It's really more of a lifestyle adjustment back to the way we ate a number of years ago before the age of snack snack snack and OMG, if I feel hunger, something must be wrong!

Good luck--stay with us awhile and you'll see the bigger picture, I'm sure.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:27 am

Fiber One is considered a diet food?.
Huh.

NoS diet is not about not eating diet food as much as it isn't about eating diet foods.
NoS is about the freedom to eat anything you want, and yes, that includes diet food if that is what you want to eat and some people do continue eating diet foods fr a variety of reasons.

We had blue cheese hamburgers tonight, but I also had an apple earlier on and a couple of nights ago, I had a Lean Cusine mushroom and spinach pizza, believe it or not, it was all because I like those foods.

Nevermind what others do: just eat what you like!.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:07 pm

I think a lot of people are thinking about their health as well as losing weight. That takes some thought.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:52 pm

A Consistent Truth. . .
No matter what the Food Plan,
In order to maintain their same weight or lose more weight,
Small people must take in less energy (calories/food) than large people.
There's no magic anywhere to change that.

Due to my age and my small size,
I have to eat small amounts of food.
To maintain my current weight,
I must meet my nutritional needs
and keep my total energy intake (calories)
as low or lower than the energy I put out (burn).

Personally, I'm fortunate to enjoy
Fiber One with Unsweetened Almond Breeze milk,
and Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones frozen meals.
I have those, and similiar low-calorie foods frequently,
and have the higher calorie foods occasionally.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Regardless of the overall meal structure, it still takes substantially less effort (to start with) to heat a ready meal than it does to prepare one from fresh ingredients, and those things tend to be nutritionally balanced. General perception is that the Lean Cuisine ones are healthier than the standard type, thus people turn to them from their previous healthy eating attempts.

Everything everyone else has said is also true, especially that different people have different requirements. For example; I seem to need a lot of protein in my diet. I eat about three times as much as most who post their menus here, all in real food (I enjoy cooking as a hobby), and am in much better shape than I was when I started.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:13 pm

I don't eat "diet food," and I don't recommend doing so (though it is technically allowed on no-s).

So why do you see so much of it here? I'm guessing that people who list detailed menus in their check ins are going to represent a bit of a skewed sample... If you eat normal food, as I think most no-essers do, there's not really a whole lot of point in enumerating it every day. And if you poke around the board a bit you will also see plenty of posts from people who are delighted to finally be able to eat what they want.

I don't want to make people who do eat lean cuisine or whatever feel like second class no-essers, but these are emphatically not required by no-s.

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:37 pm

a lot of diet foods like lean cuisine and fiberOne cereal.
there are people who take advantage of diet foods to support their No S journey, but I have been Nosing for almost six months (YES :D ) and they do not seem to be the majority.

there are intermittent threads with recipes and food ideas and none of them appear "dietous" to me,

staying on NO S for the long term has required me to eat a greater variety of foods than I normally do, sometimes I get in food ruts and eat the same thing for weeks then have to change, personally I wouldn't be too concerned with what other people are actually using to fill their one plate meals,

the journey itself is so incredible and profound I think you will find if you fill your one plates with WHATEVER YOU want/like/love you will find tremendous blessings and ultimately a stable "ideal" weight for your size!

WELCOME,
Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 am

I tend to eat a frozen entree for lunch once or twice a week. They're in the freezer for days I don't have time to think about it. And honestly, because I DO care about nutrition, when I'm buying frozen entrees, I'd rather get the one that's lower in fat and sodium and higher in fiber. I don't think of it as diet food, I think of it as convenience food and I try to at least avoid a giant sodium/fat bomb. Convenience food is way less than ideal, but I find that keeping a couple of entrees in the freezer is a good option for me in the big picture, and saves me the $4-$10 more I would have spent going out to lunch.

paulawylma

me again, sorry I over-reacted

Post by paulawylma » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:24 am

It's me again. Thanks for the replies. I meant to post to the over-100 group, but I glad I made the mistake. Your replies were very reassuring. I haven't finished the book yet, but what I read today clarified that the posts I read were putting extra rules and some fairly strict restrictions on themselves. I've been dieting off an on long enough to recognize a low-calorie menu when I see one. My thoughts when I started to read the no-s diet was whether or not real people really lose weight on it without extra rules. Since I have more than 100 lbs to lose, I naturally went to the 100 plus lbs forum first. From your replies it is clear that it is possible to lose weight eating the no-S way without special foods.

BTW, I didn't mean to belittle frozen prepared meals (what people used to call TV dinners), I was using those two examples in place of quoting the entire menu posts. I haven't tried to lean cuisine, but I had a really bad experience with nutrisystem meals. :) . So, I hope that explains my reaction to "diet" foods.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:45 am

Hope the replies were reassuring. :)

The rules really are straightforward, but you will see a lot of variation in terms of implementation. I actually think that's a great strength of No S - it accommodates a lot of individual needs and preferences.

Like your mom used to tell you "Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Worry about YOU." (Except here, when you can pick up a tidbit that is useful for you.)

I have done WW and other diets, and just LOVE No-S in comparison. It is so nice just to eat a plate of food and not feel as if it's necessary to DISSECT it first. And while a lot of my meals may look like diet meals because I actually like veggies and fruits and lean meats and whole grains, if you look you'll also see LOTS of dishes with tons of cheese in them (hardly "low cal"), occasional fast-food meals, and some serious weekend baking. It's amazing what is okay for a meal when you're not snacking all the time.

gingercake

Re: me again, sorry I over-reacted

Post by gingercake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 am

paulawylma wrote: Since I have more than 100 lbs to lose, I naturally went to the 100 plus lbs forum first. From your replies it is clear that it is possible to lose weight eating the no-S way without special foods.
Especially when you've got more to lose, I think! I think you'll be really happy and relieved to not be counting and measuring and accounting anything. It takes some getting used to. A really typical pattern for those of us who have been on the diet treadmill (for me, and I know for others here) is that at first you go a little crazy with your meals because of the newfound freedom, then you freak out and restrict, then you have some days that are real failures and worry you should go back to counting, then you go through that cycle again, and maybe a few more times, and then you start to relax! Be patient with yourself and with the process. That's what I'm trying to do, anyway.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:26 am

I usually don't care to take the time to post what I have eaten. However, I basically eat what sounds good. I do try to take a little more time to prepare delicous meals. However, as a Mom who works full time, I have plenty of meals consisting of fast foods. One week recently we actually had hotdogs 4 times. That is unusual, thankfully.

But this weekend I prepared a mess of bacon, and we have had BLT sandwiches, and I took a salad to work with real bacon bits on it. I think it is wonderful that there are no good or bad foods. Certainly we have to be mindful of portions. While a BLT sandwich is delicious, if I have too much on the side with that, I will feel uncomfortably full. (A peach made a great side!) With the salad, I needed some chips and a package of dried cranberries to fill me up. I do not worry about calories, but am learning to understand the feeling of fullness, and learning to stop before getting overful.

I have lost 20 pounds so far, since January. I think I am on the extra slow plan, but I don't really care. For the first time in my life, I am eating pretty much sensibly, and my weight is slowly going down. It is really not about "is bacon a good or bad food", and more about nourishing myself as I learn new habits. At this rate, I will be slim and trim in about 3 more years. LOL!

Laff

Post by Laff » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:41 am

I love to cook and love to eat and sometimes I love to have fast food. I choose not to eat 'diet' food because I don't enjoy it and it would never sustain me to the next meal which ultimately ends up in snacking. When coming back here this past spring I just wanted to eat like a normal person, I have done so and so far have shed just over 10 pounds.
Try the diet, I will be surprised if you don't love it and if you don't lose weight. Best of success to you.
Laff :)
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:02 pm

I know that your calorie requirements are based on activity level and weight. But don't smaller people have smaller appetites? Certainly, the stomach (the physical stomach, not your gut) should be smaller -- it's about the size of your fist.

Otherwise, small people (like those in southern China) would all be obese (I can't imagine such a large group of people is perpetually on a diet). Ever been to Hong Kong? Americans generally tower over them. My husband's luggage got lost and he couldn't find any clothes there (he's 6 foot.) He had to borrow from another American in the hotel until the next day.

People in Hong Kong DO eat well, and they also get plenty of activity. I suspect it's a matter of eating until satisfied, not stuffed.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:25 pm

I don't eat diet food.
I did when I started in 2006 because I was still in diet mentality.
Things are different now, I eat whatever I want on ONE plate as long as it's not a sweet. I love it.
I eat a lot of junky food at times but as I get older I am trying to get some healthy meals in the mix.
I don't eat in between meals.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 pm

clicklbd wrote:I know that your calorie requirements are based on activity level and weight. But don't smaller people have smaller appetites? Certainly, the stomach (the physical stomach, not your gut) should be smaller -- it's about the size of your fist.

Otherwise, small people (like those in southern China) would all be obese (I can't imagine such a large group of people is perpetually on a diet). Ever been to Hong Kong? Americans generally tower over them. My husband's luggage got lost and he couldn't find any clothes there (he's 6 foot.) He had to borrow from another American in the hotel until the next day.

People in Hong Kong DO eat well, and they also get plenty of activity. I suspect it's a matter of eating until satisfied, not stuffed.
Studies have shown that the Chinese eat 30% MORE than we do (taking height/weight differences into consideration). But, at least until recently, they were far more active. The same study showed that the Chinese who were considered "sedentary," typically the elderly or infirm, walked or biked 2-10 miles daily.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:07 pm

wosnes wrote:Studies have shown that the Chinese eat 30% MORE than we do (taking height/weight differences into consideration). But, at least until recently, they were far more active. The same study showed that the Chinese who were considered "sedentary," typically the elderly or infirm, walked or biked 2-10 miles daily.
This definitely matches up with what I observed. Chinese people really don't snack, though. They eat kind of how we did in the 50's -- kids sometimes get a snack after school, but that's about it. (My friend said his mom made scallion pancakes, which is probably one of my favorite chinese foods. He also told me that I seem to like the "leftovers" dishes. :lol:

Seems we need to move a lot more, eh?

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:19 pm

clicklbd wrote:I know that your calorie requirements are based on activity level and weight. But don't smaller people have smaller appetites? Certainly, the stomach (the physical stomach, not your gut) should be smaller -- it's about the size of your fist.
I am a small person (5' 1-1/2" tall, size 5 shoe). My fist is a lot smaller than my husband's, but not that much smaller than my daughter's, who is 4" taller than me. Who knows how big my stomach is compared to hers or my husband's? I like to eat as much as they do. Maybe not all the time and every thing, but, you know, you can pack a whole lot of calories in a fist-size portion, or you can get almost no calories from a huge bowl of lettuce. I don't think it's about the size of a person's stomach at all. Plus appetite is not always controlled (in fact, rarely is controlled) by how full or empty the stomach actually is, especially these days.

In keeping with the theme of this post, the media inundates us with diet ads all the time. It is shown as almost virtuous to eat diet foods. Our society is a long way from getting back to "normal" eating, as this "No-S diet" guides us to do. I, for one, am much happier eating real food.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:23 pm

JillyBean wrote: Plus appetite is not always controlled (in fact, rarely is controlled) by how full or empty the stomach actually is, especially these days.
Well, that's definitely true. :wink:
JillyBean wrote:I, for one, am much happier eating real food.
Yes, I am too! I also feel fuller when I do that...don't you? (Or is that just me?)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:46 pm

hehe -- I like the "leftover" dishes in Chinese cuisine, too.

Yea, we need to move more -- and not just "exercise." Life here has become entirely too convenient.
JillyBean wrote:In keeping with the theme of this post, the media inundates us with diet ads all the time. It is shown as almost virtuous to eat diet foods. Our society is a long way from getting back to "normal" eating, as this "No-S diet" guides us to do. I, for one, am much happier eating real food.
I can hardly stand all of the diet ads and comments anymore. In fact, it's part of the reason I'm wasn't that fond of Clean Eating magazine. I'm burned out on advice on what to eat and what not to eat. I'm tired of "experts" telling us what to eat.

"Real food" is more satisfying in all ways.
Last edited by wosnes on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:52 pm

wosnes wrote:hehe -- I like the "leftover" dishes in Chinese cuisine, too.
Wosnes, next time I go to Hong Kong, I'll let you know. We can go for Hot Pot, Singapore noodle, breakfast fried rice, dim sum, and scallion pancakes.

And no snacking! :lol:

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:31 pm

clicklbd wrote:
JillyBean wrote:I, for one, am much happier eating real food.
Yes, I am too! I also feel fuller when I do that...don't you? (Or is that just me?)
I don't know about fuller, but definitely more satisfied, again, "just what the doctor (Reinhard, I mean) ordered"!
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:49 pm

I think many people have a tough time switching their thinking. I'm on my 2nd day of No S (although I've done it before). I just had a hamburger and fries and I feel very full. It was all on one plate, but I have to admit that I still feel a little guilty about eating it.

That guilt comes from my previous diet plans. I've been a low-carb guy, so the fries and hamburger bun were never allowed.

I'm hoping that over time, I'll naturally gravitate towards healtier foods. That seems to be the trend I've noticed from long time No S dieters. I know I'm enjoying having whatever I want within the rules, but after awhile the novelty will wear off, my appetite will be reduced and I'll being a eating a little bit better.

la_loser

Plain ole food!

Post by la_loser » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Yes-the freedom is so. . . well. . . freeing! I had to make a mad dash for lunch because of some scheduling issues that popped up that were completely unavoidable. So the little snack place a few yards from my office had just the thing!?! Their special today was a chili-cheese hot dog with a small bag of my choice of chips and a drink. In my pre-No S days, I would have been mortified that I was doing a terrible thing-then I realized that this little lunch fit easily in a little hot dog paper tray. I got back to my office with it-moved it to fairly small paper plate and emptied my Cheetos :) on the plate too and had room to spare! And oh, it was ridiculous how good it tasted! Yet I tasted NO REMORSE!

I know I wouldn't have that as a staple lunch menu but it feels great to know I still stayed on habit. (Yea! Cheetos aren't a snack if they're a part of your meal!)

No more PROMISE "margarine" or fat-free sour cream or fat-free franks or "lite" dressing. It's amazing the freedom this brings!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

clicklbd

Re: Plain ole food!

Post by clicklbd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:44 pm

LA_Loser wrote:No more PROMISE "margarine" or fat-free sour cream or fat-free franks or "lite" dressing. It's amazing the freedom this brings!
I decided to only use lowfat if that's truly what I prefer. There are some things that I like better "lighter" because too much fat can give me a stomach ache. But it is nice to pick the thing I like best!