Instead of Eating to Diet...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:25 pm

From today's Well column in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/dinin ... ref=dining
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:19 pm

Love it - thanks for the link

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Also, the more time people spend on tasks like food shopping, cooking and kitchen cleanup, the more likely they are to be of average weight. The Economic Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture found that people of normal weight spend more time on meal-related tasks than people who are overweight or underweight.
I have definitely found this to be true in my life!

Great article,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks for posting that, Wosnes.

The article says that "Sales of organic foods have surged". Is that still true now, does anyone know? In the UK sales of organic food have fallen over the past few months as a result of the "credit crunch".

anndelise

Re: Instead of Eating to Diet...

Post by anndelise » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:Thanks for posting that, Wosnes.

The article says that "Sales of organic foods have surged". Is that still true now, does anyone know? In the UK sales of organic food have fallen over the past few months as a result of the "credit crunch".
I'm currently in the process of switching to organic foods, myself. I know that I'll be paying more, particularly until I learn how to actually cook, and even after I learn. But I figure it's worth it because I'll also be paying for better nutrition, less harmful substances, and consider it an investment for long term health. Not to mention needing less overall food since the foods we'll be eating are nutrient rich.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 am

Great article!.
I love the Slow Food Movement, whenever I think about it, I remember how when I first came ot the U.S. my husband expected gourmet meals from me in merely five minutes or less, waiting for fifteen minures was agonizing to him, so used he was to fast food and frozen meals.
Now if a meal takes 30 minutes or less, he says "wow, fast meal!", but it did take me a few years to convince him that food from scratch takes time to prepare.

Yes, the principles of Slow Food are great, however, I often think of mothers with a job or two, long commutes, children, a house, a husband, pets and themselves to take care of, all in a the few hours they have between arriving home from work and bed and I don't blame them if they want to order pizza and nuke frozen meals.
I think that before we can be a nation of home cooks, a few other changes have to happen and not necessarily in the kitchen.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:37 am

Mavilu wrote:I think that before we can be a nation of home cooks, a few other changes have to happen and not necessarily in the kitchen.
I couldn't agree more!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."