Introduction - Re-starting NoS

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joy&balance

Introduction - Re-starting NoS

Post by joy&balance » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I have been on a variety of diets, both with and without success. About two years ago, I completed a very restrictive, intense diet and exercise program and reached a weight that I liked. Since then, I have put back on 10-15 pounds (depending on the day) from where I'd like to be. My goal now is to get back to that more comfortable weight, but do so in a way that is sustainable, not torturous.

I tried No-S for a few weeks at the beginning of the summer (was a lurker on the board). While I loved the sanity it provided me in terms of food, my weight went up a bit, and I panicked and quit. I know that the slight weight gain is normal on No-S, but I have been a slave to that scale number for so long that it was hard to live with.

So, I have come back to pursue this as a simple, reasonable, sustainable way of eating and exercising that will ultimately result in me losing these "last few pounds". I am going to focus on behavioral results rather than scale results. So to start, I am going to tackle the two primary habits that tend to be problematic for me - snacking and scaling (being a scale slave). I'll deal with sweets and seconds later (I think these are more minor for me). I am confident that if I can stop my mindless eating (e.g. bite or two here and there off kids' plates, snacking when not hungry, etc.) and stop eating/not eating/having a bad day etc. based on what the scale says, that I will ultimately reach a lower weight that is maintainable. Plus, I know that I will feel better about my eating habits and weight, regardless of how much (if any) I lose.

I welcome any thoughts or advice you may have. I've appreciated reading everyone's posts - many of them have really hit home for me.

Best,
Iamhappy :D

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Being brand new to this approach (Day 2!, but no stranger to dieting / exercise), I am in no real position to offer much in the way of advice, but I do wish you all the best and truly hope that you find a real and ongoing solution here. I'm a bit of a slave to the scale myself, but have learned through what used to be disappointing trial and error that the natural ebb and flow of the average human's weight , while normal, can sometimes seem extreme and thus frustrating. Even the most fit person's weight can fluctuate several pounds inside the same day! I guess all I can offer is a general, and somewhat cliche, do what you feel is best and what you know you can stick with and with a little work, the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck to you, and I look forward to hearing more from you!
5'8" Male

SW: 225 9/4/08
CW: 170 4/21/09
Goal 1: 195 (BMI 29 ie not obese) - ACHIEVED
Goal 2: 160 (BMI 24 ie not overweight)

Deedee

Post by Deedee » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Been there - done that! Time to move on and step away from the scale!

I have been noSing for about a month and I can tell you it's the best thing since sliced sourdough!

I have not stepped on the scale yet - but it was only yesterday that I put on my size 6 slim-fitting skirt and the zipper just flew up - no tugging, no tummy bulge. Not only did it tell me everything I needed to know, it was a powerful reminder that the scale is just a tool best used for measuring gold.

What if I would have stepped on the scale and it said I was 3 pounds up - how would I have reacted? Well you know, all the wonderful positive food experiences and learning would have been undone in a second.

The skirt told me everything I needed to know.

I have had such a blast on the program - I am eating things that I would not have allowed myself for a long time. Some new favourites:

1. Perogie Dinner - about 4 perogies in melted butter, with a heap of carmelized onions and grilled turkey sausages on the side. A wee bowl of sour cream as a topper.

2. Blueberry Bran muffins - not the giant size, but the standard 3 oz size served with a wee bowl of full fat cottage cheese.

3. Lunch was a Mushroom-Leek savoury tart (found at a local deli) oven warmed served over a bed of greens - with just enough room for melon on the side. I even artfully decorated about 8 potato chips on the edge of the plate.

Not only do I not believe in scales I do not believe in Low Fat. Everything I eat is full fat - yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, milk and cream for my coffee. My body is thanking me. The NoS plan makes full fat make sense.

I could go on - but if I could give you one bit of advice - stick with the program for 1 month before you even think of stepping on a scale - just follow the plan and it will work out. I promise.

D

joy&balance

Post by joy&balance » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Thank you both so much for the welcome! And I loved your story about the skirt, Deedee. Congrats! :D

jennyp

Post by jennyp » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Just going through a few older posts and....WOW Deedee!!! You are an inspiration!!! Great job!
Jenny