Mexican food

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jennyp

Mexican food

Post by jennyp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:08 am

Hi!

So what is the thought on Mexican food? More specifically, can you have chips and salsa when at a mexican food restaurant? Or would that be snacking? (I tend to over think and might be doing that now, but I wanted to check just in case.)
Jenny

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:10 am

you can have all the chips and salsa with your mexican dinner on Saturday or Sunday. Problem solved. :D

jennyp

Post by jennyp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:15 am

Good point!!! HAHA! :D
Jenny

Merry

Re: Mexican food

Post by Merry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:05 am

jennyp wrote:Hi!

So what is the thought on Mexican food? More specifically, can you have chips and salsa when at a mexican food restaurant? Or would that be snacking? (I tend to over think and might be doing that now, but I wanted to check just in case.)
I suppose you could wait and put them on your plate but that would take the fun out of it! (Not to mention that I can never finish what's on a plate at a Mexican restaurant anyway!).

Salsa DOES begin with S, isn't there some kind of special dispensation for that? :lol:

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

wosnes

Re: Mexican food

Post by wosnes » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Merry wrote:
jennyp wrote: Salsa DOES begin with S, isn't there some kind of special dispensation for that? :lol:

Merry :-)
Salsa isn't the problem! :lol: You can put that on top of whatever and still be following the rules. It's those danged chips.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Too solid flesh

Mexican food

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:40 pm

On p.36 of The Book, Reinhard says: "Pretzels with lunch are lunch. Maybe not a particularly healthy lunch, but the No S Diet delegates that particular micro-decision to you."

I assume that the same applies to chips and salsa.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:30 pm

On a No S day, I wouldn't eat the chips and salsa since they are an appetizer and exceed the one plate limit.

This really isn't the hardship it seems since whenever I do indulge in chips and salsa I get up from the table uncomfortably full.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 am

If I ate Mexican food on an N Day and wanted to eat chips I would definitely put them on my one plate,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:26 pm

blueskighs wrote:If I ate Mexican food on an N Day and wanted to eat chips I would definitely put them on my one plate,
This is why I like No S. If you want chips, you get chips. If it's not worth it to you to wait to put the chips on your plate, then that means they were just mindless snacking and don't need to be part of the meal.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:24 am

As a die hard Mexican food lover....
IF I eat Mexican on a weekday....I eat nachos on N days. I can resist the chips before hand if I get nachos.
I think it's more of a mental trick that works for me.....
Legally, you can have them on your one plate though.
On No S, snacks are more of a when not what.
If you have great self discipline and are good at virtual plating, take a handful of chips and get something small as your meal. One or two tacos or an enchilada.

But, on weekends, I don't worry about it and indulge in chips and salsa...and a Margarita!

I have to add...I have been making a conscious effort to not eat dinner out during the week for personal, self control reasons....not because of No S.
It also makes eating out more enjoyable when I do.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 am

When I eat out with friends at a Mexican restaurant, and chips and salsa are served, I eat a few chips prior to the entre. I do not think of it as a snack at all. I consider it a part of the meal.

I do try to eat thoughtfully when I go out for Mexican food. It can be a challenge not to overeat on all that delicious food, especially guacamole!

When I have dinner at a fancy restaurant, and they serve a small salad prior to the meal, I eat that. I do not wait for the entre to be served prior to enjoying the salad. I will sometimes have a small portion of bread before the entre, too.

I do not eat dinner out very often (less than once a month), and I feel that since the whole idea of No S is to eat normally, it is very normal to have your one plate worth of food in courses. It can also be very "normal" to have a dessert, but I don't-unless I am hungry for it, and it is an S day. :lol:

One beauty of No S is the ability to stick to it while socializing, and not have to explain yourself or your eating style to your peers. Unless I bring it up, usually people have absolutely no idea that I am on a diet. I love that! Whether you eat chips with Mexican food, or have them before the meal, or skip them, isn't it grand that we don't need to explain our choices to anyone? And even better, when excess food is offered, we can say "No" and feel successful, rather than deprived?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:33 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:When I eat out with friends at a Mexican restaurant, and chips and salsa are served, I eat a few chips prior to the entre. I do not think of it as a snack at all. I consider it a part of the meal.

I do try to eat thoughtfully when I go out for Mexican food. It can be a challenge not to overeat on all that delicious food, especially guacamole!

When I have dinner at a fancy restaurant, and they serve a small salad prior to the meal, I eat that. I do not wait for the entre to be served prior to enjoying the salad. I will sometimes have a small portion of bread before the entre, too.

I do not eat dinner out very often (less than once a month), and I feel that since the whole idea of No S is to eat normally, it is very normal to have your one plate worth of food in courses. It can also be very "normal" to have a dessert, but I don't-unless I am hungry for it, and it is an S day. :lol:

One beauty of No S is the ability to stick to it while socializing, and not have to explain yourself or your eating style to your peers. Unless I bring it up, usually people have absolutely no idea that I am on a diet. I love that! Whether you eat chips with Mexican food, or have them before the meal, or skip them, isn't it grand that we don't need to explain our choices to anyone? And even better, when excess food is offered, we can say "No" and feel successful, rather than deprived?
Generally speaking, I do exactly what you do. I do find that it's extremely easy to overdo on chips and salsa -- without even thinking about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:25 pm

I either skip anything appetizery (bread, chips, etc.) on N-days or to wait and stick them on my main plate when it comes. Keeps it nice a clear.

As for fancy restaurants with salad courses etc., they're almost exclusively S-day affairs. So that's not much of an issue for me.

Reinhard