Coming back from Atkins

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jayhawk28

Coming back from Atkins

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:38 pm

I did No S for the first time last spring. I loved how simple it was but I felt the need for faster weight loss so I went back to South Beach for awhile. Then I did nothing for a month or so. Then I tried Atkins. South Beach and Atkins work, but I was miserable and felt limited all the time.

I also had this mentality that since South Beach and Atkins worked without exercise then I really didn't need to do it.

Anyway - about two weeks ago I volunteered to work a 5K road race. I called out 1 mile times for the runners. It made me miss my high school cross-country days. When I got home from the race, I laced up my shoes and hit the pavement. I'm about 50-60 pounds overweight but I still ran an 8:00 mile (granted - I was dead when I got done). I've run everyday for the last two weeks and lost 5-6 pounds.

I love running - it's not complicated. Some people try to make it complicated with different training runs and rest days, but at its heart it's just you and the pavement.

In that spirit, I decided to start No S again. I need some type of eating plan to pair with running. It's just not that complex. With No S and running I'm going to be burning more calories than I take in. I can do it anywhere under any circumstances.

Any other runners out there?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm

It all sounds great Jay :)
I'm not a runner but I've been in the ancient past and it's a definite great upper! I am now walking, since at my weight I am not even considering putting my poor knees through the pounding.. I enjoy it very much!
Good luck with your weight loss goal and keep up the exercise. It's not enough in my mind to simply lose weight to be healthy.
I also need to lose about 50 to 60 lbs.
Looking forward to reading your checkin and seeing how you get on.
Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 pm

I've just started and am currently working up to five miles, after which I plan to decrease time rather than increasing distance. My schedule is rather random, working as it does around martial arts twice a week and the occasional squash game, but it seems to be having an effect. If it's raining too much, I row instead.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:59 pm

Welcome, Jayhawk28!

I wouldn't call myself a runner, but I have (for the last year or so) run (very slowly, more like 10 minute miles) with a co-worker after work most Wednesdays. We're thinking of signing up for a 5K, too (I've never done anything of the sort and a little nervous about being the last guy to finish). I'm a little surprised to admit that I do actually enjoy it, though I doubt I could muster up the energy if it weren't for the social aspect.

I'm glad you've realized that you need both diet and exercise to get into decent shape. If you skip one, the other is guaranteed to be extreme and unsustainable.

Reinhard

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:33 pm

You should try the 5K. Even if you have to walk part of the race, it's very rewarding and usually a lot of fun. Most have music/food at the end and it's quite festive.

Every 5K I've done has had everything from elite racers to people who walk the entire race. There is something for eveyrone.

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 pm

reinhard wrote:We're thinking of signing up for a 5K, too (I've never done anything of the sort and a little nervous about being the last guy to finish).
Reinhard, you probably won't be last. I used to run 5k's (and even a 10k turkey trot) back in the olden days (20 years ago!) I was sure I'd be last each and every time, but I never was. Inevitably, someone (a few someones) sign up that are just not ready to run a race, and they barely finish, if at all.

As long as you do some training (which it sounds like you are), you won't be last.