Diet Soda

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jayhawk28

Diet Soda

Post by Jayhawk28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:51 pm

I know this is allowed on No S, but I really would like to stop drinking it. It always makes me feel bloated and the caffiene causes ups and downs in my mood all day.

Anyone struggling with this?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Try seltzer with lemon or lime and a little splash of juice..
Diet soda is very evil and horrible for you in *so* many ways..
Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:21 pm

Hot tea? The herbal ones taste nice without added sweetening. My favorites are the "zinger" varieties.

Seltzer is good too, as Deb suggests.

I will tell you my story about how tastes change, in hopes that it will help. I used to have a serious soda habit, and thought I would NEVER do without. Well, when I was pregnant I had real incentive to stop drinking caffeine - including my beloved Diet Coke. Well, after my son was born, I nearly spewed my first sip of soda across the room. After 9 months off soda, it tasted absolutely VILE to me - like a nasty mess of chemicals. Haven't even wanted it since.

So hang in there. You can learn to prefer other things.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:14 am

I drink a (regular) soda now and again, but both my daughters quit drinking it over a year ago -- for different reasons. Both quit cold-turkey and substituted water.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:51 pm

I have a diet soda on occasion. After a recent LONG summer of touring the US (20000km), we sometimes found ourselves out of water, but with soda on hand. I would drink it to satisfy me need for liquids. However, in the process I discovered that the only way I can *enjoy* any kind of soda is to have it pretty cold--refrigerator cold with ice. I can't stomach soda much warmer than that (car temp soda was disgusting)--I really can taste the chemicals as someone else mentioned.

Along with all the other suggestions on what *to* drink, you might want to try a few warmish sodas to get the *appeal* of the drink out of your head.

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:09 pm

I got kinda hooked on diet soda a few years ago. Then I figured out that it was the fizz, not the taste. So I got some seltzer. It makes me much happier, and I get the fizz. Make sure you get seltzer and not flavored water (like propel) which is basically fizz free diet soda.

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:07 am

Best to avoid it altogether. Bad stuff. If you really need a soda now and again, those Steaz Green Tea Sodas aren't too bad. And they don't have all that artificial crap in them. Once in awhile, I'll pick one up at the local health food/supplement shop.