Breakfasts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BuckeyePink

Breakfasts

Post by BuckeyePink » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:18 pm

My weakness, I'm coming to see, is that I do not consume enough breakfast. Then I got the ravaging hungries, ate a muffin or had hot cocoa half way through the morning. Blah!

A sample pre-No-S breakfast for me would look like the following:

1.) yogurt, toast (single slice) with butter, maybe some fruit or juice.

2.) Cottage cheese (full-fat), Muffin, fruit or juice.

3.) Peanutbutter toast with milk.

How do you all keep your tummies full in the morning? I'm not looking for menus, but just some general strategies.

~Anna

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:25 pm

I do best when I have some protein with my breakfast. It could be as simple as optimized oatmeal (oatmeal with nuts, seeds and dried fruit), but this morning I had porridge with butter and salt, and a couple of boiled eggs.

If I do that, I'm totally fine until lunch. If I neglect it, I feel ill after a couple of hours.

I really, really have had a chicken sandwich for breakfast before.

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:38 pm

I incorporate a bagel in different foods. egg and cheese on a bagel will fill the stomach nicely.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:41 pm

My stand-by is a yogurt/fruit smoothie, and a piece of whole-grain toast with natural peanut butter and a little low-sugar jam. coffee with half and half. That usually keeps me going until 1 p.m. or so. The peanut butter is a great slow-burn fuel because of the fat.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 pm

My stand-by is a yogurt/fruit smoothie, and a piece of whole-grain toast with natural peanut butter and a little low-sugar jam. coffee with half and half. That usually keeps me going until 1 p.m. or so. The peanut butter is a great slow-burn fuel because of the fat.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:54 pm

I've found, for me, that along with whatever breakfast I'm eating (could be an egg and toast, muffins and cr. cheese, bowl of oatmeal, etc), I really need to have enough *liquids* in the morning. After a whole night with nothing to drink, my body seems to need the replenishment of liquids. (And I don't feel particularly thirsty). If I skip this, I don't notice feeling any different at breakfast, but I do notice a general lagging later in the morning.

That works out to a normal-size glass of water upon waking, then at breakfast a normal-size glass of milk, a small juice glass of OJ, and either the coffee or tea of the morning.

(BTW, in an old, old, post (I read the entire list of past posts over a period of 3 weeks when I first joined the boards) someone else noticed the need to drink more because of eating less. Even non-liquid foods contain a fair amount of water.....)

So you might see if upping the liquids in the morning helps satisfy you.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:49 pm

I eat very little breakfast. It's either toast and grapefruit or a smoothie with yogurt. Occasionally oatmeal or scrambled eggs. Holds me just fine until lunch. Although, I will admit that I often eat my first meal AT lunch. I've never done breakfast well at all. Food in the AM usually sounds digusting to me! Any of your choices would be more than enough for me.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

I think I will up my protein a bit more to keep the am snack cravings down. I know after a couple of weeks, my stomach will just have to deal with it!

Brian Delaney

Post by Brian Delaney » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi Anna

I'd say follow your hunger, don't force-feed yourself if you don't feel like it. How about waiting for an hour or two and then having a bigger breakfast? Its important for me to enjoy my meals and feel satisfied afterwards.

Personally, I find that if I don't snack or have dessert after my evening meal, then I have a good appetite in the morning and I enjoy a full breakfast. Usually I have a large bowl of porridge or cereal with full fat milk, fruit, maybe a boiled egg, and coffee.

Brian