It's that time of year

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

It's that time of year

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:38 pm

No, not Thanksgiving -- it's time for soup. I'll admit that it's never not soup time for me. I make soup all year, and I've posted some formulas for making soup previously:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 4106#34106

I'm planning on making Garlicky Tomato Soup Base today. The recipe comes from this article (I never followed the diet plan. I've also never made the Mushroom Leek Soup Base.):

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_81391091
Garlicky Tomato Soup Base

MAKES 16 CUPS

This chunky tomato soup base makes enough for the three variations that follow, plus 4 extra cups to have on hand in case you have company.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large onions, chopped (about
4 cups)
2 medium carrots, peeled and
chopped (about 1 cup)
2 medium ribs celery, chopped
(about 3/4 cup)
8 cups clear vegetable broth
8 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
(packed in juice) with basil
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until vegetables turn soft and brown, about 12 minutes. Stir in broth, garlic, and diced tomatoes and their juices, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with additional salt and pepper to
taste.

Freeze in 4-cup portions

Southwestern Tomato Chickpea Soup with Crushed Corn Chips

SERVES 4

4 cups Garlicky Tomato
Soup Base
1 15-ounce can chickpeas,
drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
24 low-fat corn chips,
lightly crushed

Pour soup base into large saucepan. Add chickpeas, corn, and cumin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with crushed corn chips. Serve immediately.

Tuscan Tomato, Swiss Chard, and Pasta Soup

SERVES 4

4 cups Garlicky Tomato
Soup Base
2 cups packed chopped fresh
Swiss chard (about 5 ounces)
1 cup cooked white beans
(about half a 15-ounce can,
drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup whole-wheat elbow pasta
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1. Pour soup base into large saucepan, Add Swiss chard and white beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer soup until chard is tender, about 6 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, bring about 1 quart of water to a boil in a medium saucepan for cooking pasta. Add
elbows and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain.

3. Add pasta to tomato soup mixture and stir in basil until it is slightly wilted. Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.

Hungarian Tomato-Cabbage Soup with Butter Beans

SERVES 4

4 cups Garlicky Tomato Soup
Base
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
3 cups chopped green cabbage
(about 10 ounces)
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 15-ounce can butter or navy
beans, drained and rinsed

1. Pour soup base into large saucepan.

2. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cabbage and paprika and sauté until cabbage is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup water to skillet, cover, and continue
cooking until cabbage is tender, about 5 minutes.

3. Add cabbage mixture and butter or navy beans to soup base and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.
There are a lot more variations anyone could devise. I'm also thinking about combining the soup base with a pot of these beans:
CREAMY SLOW-COOKER BEANS Introduce your family to the nothing-like-canned taste of home-cooked dried beans. Just stir eight ounces of rinsed dried black (or navy or red kidney) beans, a chopped white onion, a tablespoon of bacon fat or butter with five cups hot water in a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours until the beans are cooked, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste, reduce heat to keep warm til ready to serve, adding water if needed.
The recipe comes from Kitchen Parade: http://kitchenparade.com/2008/02/pork-p ... y-slow.php I've followed this basic recipe with black, pinto, Great Northern, kidney, and chickpeas. I usually substitute olive oil for the butter or bacon fat, though I have used bacon fat a couple of times for the taste.

Hope these are helpful to someone!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, they sure are to me! I love soup, too and think stuff like this is great!

Thanks.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

whisper2701

Post by whisper2701 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:52 pm

I love soup recipes! The Hungarian Tomato-Cabbage Soup with Butter Beans sounds delicious.

Thanks for posting!
Linda

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:52 am

I think the Southwestern Tomato Chickpea soup would be good with kidney, pinto or black beans instead of chickpeas -- which would change the name of the soup!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."