Fruits and Vegetables

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Fruits and Vegetables

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:59 pm

I got asked if I don't snack, then when do I eat my fruits and vegetables?

*blink*

Well, I have dried fruit in my porridge most days. If I do eggs or something, I usually put some fruit on the plate.

I always have an apple or something with lunch, and lunch is usually a salad if it's warm or soup if it's cold. I throw lots of veggies in my soups.

For dinner, at least half my plate is veggies (3/4 last night because I didn't make a starch for dinner, figuring butternut squash was kinda half-n-half for that).

Um, I have some with nearly every meal....

That was really an odd question.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Odd but revealing!

Shows what lousy side effects snacks (bad enough in themselves) have on meals.

Reinhard

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Cheery diet advice articles are full of great suggestions like snacking on a half cup of frozen grapes or grabbing* an apple. Even the previous version of the food pyramid almost required a fruit or veg snack in order to get your 5-7 servings.

I have fruit and a glass of juice in the morning, a salad and fruit with lunch and some sort of veggie with dinner.

* Did you ever notice how often the word Grab is used in these diet articles to refer to food? I personally think the Diet Articles want us to believe that we are too busy to eat properly, thereby excusing whatever nutrional shape we find ourselves in. When I was a small child, if I grabbed at food, I would get a sharp reprimand.

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:43 pm

Speaking of fruits and vegetables, we are now officially in clementine season! I love them. In season they are delicious, and cute, and tiny, and will fit onto just about any N-day plate. If you're not familiar with them, they are like golf-ball sized seedless tangerines.

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:58 pm

I call it the "baby carrot mentality". :)

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:38 pm

BuckeyePink wrote:I call it the "baby carrot mentality". :)
Haha, yes. "Craving a giant slice of mud pie? Grab some baby carrots and munch away! Curb those nacho cravings with baby carrots dipped in fat-free cottage cheese!" So delicious.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 am

gingercake wrote:Speaking of fruits and vegetables, we are now officially in clementine season! I love them. In season they are delicious, and cute, and tiny, and will fit onto just about any N-day plate. If you're not familiar with them, they are like golf-ball sized seedless tangerines.
I like the Satsuma's too -- and most other citrus fruits.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:41 am

that's interesting - I had to look "clementine" up - I think it's what we in Australia just call mandarins.