Starting 21 days on Habit :)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Starting 21 days on Habit :)

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi friends! I was still too out of sorts over the last few weeks to successfully do 21 days on habit. My cough is holding strong, unfortunately, and I'm pretty sure it's some kind of allergy/bronchitis..
It's quite a lot better than before now, tho, so I have a bit more umph in me to utilise my willpower towards trying to do 21 days on habit.
I am also including in my personal goal, a 21 days on habit for 14 mins of exercise per day, no matter what, be it walking in circles in my room to music..
I don't really do that, I dance and stuff, but if I set my goal to be *any* movement, I'd say it will be hard to allow myself to skip it no matter what condition I am mentally or physically in.
So I had a green day for NoS yesterday and I am counting that as my first day. I'm hoping to do exercise even on my S days, just cos it feels good and helps my mood.

Reinhard, I hope I can do this this time in less attempts than it took my first year on NoS.. It took me 12 attempts then.
Special congrats and thanks going out to Rene aka RPM, as your recent success in hitting 21 days on habit and your weight loss in that time was very inspirational and motivating for me.

Current weight is 233 pounds. I am not going to weigh myself again till I complete the 21 days.

Peace and Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

rpm

Post by rpm » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:55 am

Debs,

I am glad that I was able to inspire you.

One thing to take into account is that I weigh more than you and so the weight may come off a bit quicker in the beginning for me.

You go girl - no matter how many times it takes to get to 21 days on habit. I can't say I am proud but I feel so good about having the discipline to go the 21 days and say no to myself when I wanted to snack. It is kind of empowering.
René
Taking care of me, one No S Day at a time!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:49 am

Debs,

best wishes on your fresh commitment!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks Rene and Blue :)
Debs x

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Debs,

I focused only on the No S rules. It was so hard that even our house fell apart as far as cleaning -- and the kids were in school and I wasn't working!

Are you biting off more than you can chew by trying to do No S plus exercise?

I have started back to exercising now, but -- as I was enjoying a nice hot bath this morning -- I was trying to give an analogy to how difficult this diet has become for me.

The closest analogy I could find was it was more difficult than brushing my teeth every morning. It is probably 1/100th the difficulty of when I started because I have followed the rules with "perfect compliance".

Consider "perfect compliance" with one rule of No S -- the easiest of the rules -- and then add the next easiet and then the easiest.

Kathleen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks Kathleen! I appreciate all that truly :)
Well, I've been around NoS for a while now. For me it's a package deal or nothing with exercise, because honestly, it doesn't really work for me if I don't do *some* exercise too. Besides that, I feel so crappy when I am sedentary all the time.
Don't worry! I'm looking forward to my little 14 min dance sesh!
It's a teeny little exercise commitment. I will still give myself greens for NoS good days, even if I somehow don't get to the exercise, but I truly want to develop these habits in tandem.
Giving thanks!
8) Debs

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:12 pm

Debs,

For me, exercise comes and goes. I didn't exercise at all last week because we were visitng my in-laws, and I had a deliverable at work. This afternoon, I'm procrastinating going back to the gym.

The nice thing about the diet is it's so easy to follow. I completely separate it from everything else.

Kathleen

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:22 am

Good luck with it, Debs.
fun
xx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:34 am

Thanks Fun gel :)
Good luck to you too!!
I'm very psyched to do this actually!
Love,
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi friends! I just wanted to report that I had my first, across-the-board, green day yesterday.
NoS, Exercise, and *no eating in the middle of the night*!
I'm really chuffed! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I did, however, not keep my promise not to step on the scale.. This morning I weighed, which was dumb. It showed a two pound increase.. But I know I ate very moderately yesterday, so I know it's water. Had one slice of pizza for breakfast, and also some pasta and sauce with a bit of parmesan cheese, for dinner.. That stuff *always* makes my weight go up cos of the sodium.
Okay,, see you at the finish line!
hahah :)
Love
8) Debs

rpm

Post by rpm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Debs,

YAY!!! You did great. That finish line is getting closer and closer.

Here is to a great No S day.
René

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks Rene! I appreciate that!
Hope you are well!
:D Debs x

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:07 pm

Deb,

Congratulations both on making this resolution and on your spate of green!

I think the 14 minute "time component" of shovelglove is even more important than the sledgehammer. It's an excellent structure for ensuring a sustainable (and sufficient) modicum of exercise.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:07 pm

Okay managed two days of success with NoS and *no* night time eating!
Last night was hard because I was a little hungry.. But I said "No way Jose" to myself every time I thought how I didn't want to mess up my committment to 21 days.
Down three pounds this morning!
Woot Woot!
LOL :)
I'm feeling very gooooood!
8) Debs
ps.. this was all on top of the fact I had a horrible day yesterday too.. Can't believe it!

rpm

Post by rpm » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Debs,

Outstanding!!

Keep talking to yourself when you want to eat when things aren't going as well as you would like! Food will never make it okay and the more you don't eat when feelings overwhelm you, the better you will like the discipline of No S.

Gotta love getting rid of 3 pounds!!

Here is to another No S day!
René

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:00 pm

But I said "No way Jose" to myself every time I thought how I didn't want to mess up my committment to 21 days.
Debs,

WOOHOO! for you! Sometimes that "No way Jose" is the only thing that works!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 pm

Thank you Rene and Blue!
Much apprecia*loved* :wink:
8) Debs x

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 am

Nice Going, Debs!

I'm finally finding time to look at all the posts, and there is so much to be inspired and motivated by. I'm going to try some No Way Jose, too. (Especially when it comes to getting on the scale - one of my biggest undoers of commitment when the results aren't what I want!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:41 am

Thanks Karen!
Tonight will be tough. I'm still awake and have been very tempted to eat something now.. I'm hungry and it's been an emotional day, as I found out that my good friend, the bloke I am fond of in England, just lost one of his closest friends and needs to go to the funeral tomorrow.
He lost both his parents very early in life and seems to have had a lot of recent losses too.
I just feel sad for him and been crying from sympathy sadness a lot today.
Glad you posted tho! To remind me to say my No Way Jose mantra now and gonna get some water and get in bed..
(tummy really grumbling.. I may have breakfast at four am! LOL)
Have a good week Karen!
Stay happy and stay focused!
Love
8) Debs x

rpm

Post by rpm » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Debs,

"No way Jose" has been my mantra today. I like it so much better than "I don't eat between meals."
René

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:48 pm

Hahah!! Yeah it's kinda catchy!
Glad you had a good day Rene :wink:
Today I was hungry *ALL* day, and I even had normal meals..
I feel like last nights hunger was carried over to today..
This is very unusual for me, as I normally have a sluggish system and it takes me hours to get hungry, and once I have a meal, I'm good within minutes..
But today I had actual pangs all day..
Not sure why, but I do hope that it's a sign of burning fat.
I was so close to caving in about half hour ago to get a chocolate bar, but I did my little "No way" deal, and reminded myself it's not worth it and that thankfully, the weekend is very near and that I can hold out till then.
This is the brilliance of NoS.. The S days..
You can really say no to yourself during the week and be successful as long as it's not for *too* long a stretch.
Well, I have had three meals today, but I did decide to go out and buy some fruit. I'm gonna treat myself to a third of a honeydew now and not give myself a red mark, because I had no fruit in the house today and I usually eat fruit with at least one meal a day.. If I got a chocolate it would be a different matter, but I'll say this is "retroactive virtual plating" and just try to be better prepared next week with more fruits and veg in the house.
Didn't exercise yet.. I will put on some music inna bit and walk in circles..
That's about all I'm up to today.. I'm totally dragging.
Ahhhh Winter!
Have a great day all and thanks so much for the support this week!
Almost S days!
hee hee!
:mrgreen:

Love
8) Debs

rpm

Post by rpm » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:30 am

I wish I could have had a good day. I kept saying No Way Jose because all I wanted to do today was comfort eat. So far I still haven't snacked but I am not sure what the evening will bring. I am so looking forward to Saturday.

You are doing great!! Not eating even though your tummy was talking to you is a big deal.
René

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:55 am

Thanks Rene!
I know how you feel! It's a hard time of the year too...
I'm starting my S'sing, as always, Friday evening..
That's how we have always done NoS.

Good luck with sticking to "No way Jose'ing"
8) Debs xx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Okay it's been a full 7 days now into the 21 days and I had all successful days for NoS, and *no night time eating*!!
Didn't keep my original commitment to exercise daily, and only meditated once actively, but I'm so glad about the first week of sticking to three meals a day.. Yesterday, by the way, that melon turned out to be totally rotten inside and inedible, so it seems that the Universe didn't want me to "virtual plate" hahah... I feel like the first year I joined NoS, except with the knowledge in advance, that it works.. But physically, it was quite challenging for me a few times, and emotionally, to get through the week. Thanks to all who have supported me during this time! It means a lot!
I am geared up for some moderate S days and then back to it on Monday.

Today I am 3.5 lbs down from last weekend when I started.
It's a great feeling to put in the work and see the positive end results!
Hopefully next week I will have more energy for exercise too. I think I've toughed out the hardest part of this.
Have a great weekend friends!
Love,

8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:45 pm

Hey guys :)
Just wanted to pop in here to share a personal triumph.. I'm now past halfway into the 21 days, on my thirteenth day today..
Yesterday evening I was very very stressed.. Got some chinese mixed veg and pork dumplings.. made a good sized plate for dinner and had lots left in the containers.. Man I was grappling most of the night with myself to *not* have seconds and then later in the wee hours, *not* eat at 2 am when I woke up.. I really really was tempted, and each time I said to myself "It's not worth it, and you will feel so much better when you can honestly say you had a successful 21 days... just wait till tomorrow"

Dinner was a bit early for me as well, around 7.. and I usually eat dinner at about 8 or 9... and that voice kept saying "It's just vegetables",,, or "you could say you will virtual plate it retroactively, to breakfast" hahah gotta love how our minds work when we want to cheat!! LOL
So it was a long night of resisting, but,,
*I DID IT!!!*

My exercise has been very hit or miss, other than dancing a few times in the last week, and a little of the deep breathing/stretching stuff I do. I am holding strong with NoS though and very proud of that.
:D

Have a good day everyone!
Peace,
8) Debs

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:26 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:So it was a long night of resisting, but,,
*I DID IT!!!*
I am holding strong with NoS ... and very proud of that. :D

8) Debs
Great Job, Debs.
Way to Go
:!:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Deb, congratulations on holding strong with no-s! I think an entry on the pround moments: I stayed on habit thread is in order!

If the exercise is slipping, I'd suggest lowing the minimum standard of compliance. Make it 7 minutes instead of 14. I know that may seem like barely anything at all, but it does make a difference -- especially if it "engages" habit. That's the trickiest, most important muscle of all to get fit.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Thank you very much Bright Angel and Reinhard "Angel" :wink:
Love,
8) Debs x

rpm

Post by rpm » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:24 pm

Debs,

Girl, you are doing great! Way to go on not eating those veggies when they were calling your name at 2 am.
René

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks Rene! I had them for breakfast this morning and they tasted all the better for waiting :)
Have a great day yourself and thank you for your support and kindness!

8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:49 am

Well folks, it's been seventeen days on NoS Habit for me and I'm really glad I tried this, but today I had a very erratic eating day, and I'd say there's really no way to "justify" and virtual plate etc, just to make it come out a "by the books" success, in terms of habit. I haven't eaten badly, but today including the dinner I'm about to have, it's turning into about five eating events since breakfast.
I even nabbed a few Fritos out of an open bag before making dinner, which, again, could have been plated, but since they weren't, that's *definitely* snacking..

Sooooooo, here ends my first attempt at 21 days in a few years..
I'm still focusing on the same habits I'm really trying to change, namely not eating in the middle of the night, and I really need to focus my energy on making exercise happen *everyday*... It's not happening yet.

Thanks for everyones great support!
I used to approach NoS with the goal of having 75% success, and I think with all this Winter stuff happening, that's all I can realistically expect from myself. When I did that, and regularly exercised, I lost about 30 lbs over two years.. Sure I'd love to lose more and lose faster, but I also know that this *has* to be approached as a life long marathon and not a sprint, in order for me to keep motivated and not get psyched out by an occasional bump in the road.

I also have to really focus on getting my massage office booming, or some other kind of work, or both.. So I will probably only check in a couple of times a week.. Hopefully I'll reduce the amount of time I spend on the computer altogether in pursuit of three dimensional activities :)

Love to all,
8) Debs

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:22 am

Hey Debs -

Congrats on a reasonable expectation of success. 75% success is good, and, it sounds like your day today, which is not entirely a success, is still a good day. You had S events, but you did not turn the day into an all-out eating frenzy.

With the stress of getting your office having more clients (I hope that goes well), and WINTER, you have things working against you. But you are doing a great job, and have done a great job with this.

75% success! Yes! And, keep/get at that exercise - however many minutes a day you can work in.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 am

Thanks a lot Karen!
Have a nice night :)
8) Debs x

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:12 am

17 days on habit is great! That's not far off 21, you know. :D I think you are doing really marvellously.
funfuture
x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks Fun!
Well honestly, the last few days I've taken a big nose dive and had a few nights of eating in the middle of the night.. one night was *three* bowls of cereal (not buying apple cinnamon cheerios anymore!) and last night I had an apple while actually laying down to go to sleep and then a half a pomegranate at three am!
It's a bit depressing, but I'm not surprised.. Winter does stuff to me.

So I am tightening in the reins again and really gonna focus on being strict.
I've decided to allocate a fourth "mini meal" during the winter, but with the conditions that it can only be fruit or veggies or a bowl of non rich/broth like soup, or a small salad, again not a big "chef" type one..
Hopefully if I do this, I will be less likely to eat these things late at night.
Okay luvvies,
See ya soon, and thanks again!
8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:57 pm

ps.. I am still using HabitCal.. and although not "officially" trying to do 21 days on habit now, I am shooting for a success rate of at least 80% or more for the month. (I'm really crap at math, so basically I'm saying if I have one failure a week it I will roll with it, but trying to keep myself from having more than one each week)
Somehow trying to be perfect really was stressing me out.
*But* I will say I'm very proud of those 17 days and especially the night when I had cucumbers instead of hersheys kisses! :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Well, sorry you didn't quite make 100%, but it sounds like you're pretty close.
I am shooting for a success rate of at least 80% or more for the month. (I'm really crap at math,
"stats" view actually does a bunch of the math for you :-)
*But* I will say I'm very proud of those 17 days and especially the night when I had cucumbers instead of hersheys kisses!
Me too! Best wishes for the next trickiest 2 weeks of the year...

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:12 am

Thank you Reinhard! :wink:
8) Debs