my slightly controversial tweak

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

babyprrr

my slightly controversial tweak

Post by babyprrr » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:57 pm

Starting from this weekend, I have decided to add a tweak to my NoS regime. I've been with NoS for nearly two years now and stuck to it quite well. My only slight problem is constant snacking on S days then feeling bloated, eating more than I want on S days, and slight N day failures triggering off a full binge.

My tweak is to eat whatever I want for breakfast...this including cake/cookies/whatever. Strictly speaking the third S in NoS is No sweets, and I feel that if I eat it for breakfast and not for dessert, it is technically not a sweet ( I know I'm walking a very thin line here!).

Let me explain why.. every weekend especially on Sunday nights, I find myself trying to eat all the goodies I've accumulated during the week because otherwise I won't get to touch them for another week. Most of the time I don't even physically want it that much, but I eat just for the sake of it. I think it would make a lot more sense for me to have it the next morning for breakfast instead. Most of the time I might not even want it anymore.

It may also have to do with the way I grew up. My family is not a dessert sort of family and we normally finish each meal with fruit. If there was any extra birthday cake lying around the house or someone had made us some cookies, they would be consumed at breakfast time with a cup of coffee in reasonable amounts. Never once did I binge eat as a child or feel guilty for eating a slice of banana bread for breakfast.

I know this is REALLY walking the line. It may all go wrong then I'll go back to 'normal' No-S. So far this weekend for the first time in ages I've managed to not snack and not feel bloated because I know those cookies in the pantry ( which I don't even really like!) will be there for consumption all week if I want and I don't need to panic and scarf them down before the weekend is over.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this experiment goes!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:02 pm

There are people who do this normally. Whatever works!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:37 pm

wosnes wrote:There are people who do this normally. Whatever works!

really? you mean they eat cookies/muffins for breakfast on an N day too?

BrightAngel

Re: my slightly controversial tweak

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:42 pm

babyprrr wrote:Starting from this weekend, I have decided to add a tweak to my NoS regime.
My tweak is to eat whatever I want for breakfast...this including cake/cookies/whatever.
It may also have to do with the way I grew up.
I know this is REALLY walking the line.
It may all go wrong then I'll go back to 'normal' No-S.
I'll keep you guys posted on how this experiment goes!
If it works for you Great.
It it doesn't, you will soon find out,
and then you will change your plan accordingly.

The point is to make No S work for you.
The best Plan for you is the one that works for you.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:17 pm

babyprrr wrote: Let me explain why.. every weekend especially on Sunday nights, I find myself trying to eat all the goodies I've accumulated during the week because otherwise I won't get to touch them for another week. Most of the time I don't even physically want it that much, but I eat just for the sake of it. I think it would make a lot more sense for me to have it the next morning for breakfast instead. Most of the time I might not even want it anymore.
Well, I can understand you thinking you would like to enjoy the treats while you can, and you are kind of eating them because you are not allowed to during the week. But really, if you are eating them "just for the sake of it" without truly wanting or enjoying them, I'd focus on "accumulating" less stuff during the week and just get a few choice goodies. If you really don't want it, then just don't have it around to continue fueling the bad habit of eating it cos it's there, or because "you can"..
If you are dying for banana bread or muffins for breakfast on N days, then maybe find a way of making them with healthy sweeteners, like applesauce, and enjoy them whenever you like.. I have to say, when we made that crumb cake from scratch this week for Thanksgiving, it was so satisfying and nicer tasting than anything commercially available.

I can't remember your personal situation Babyphrr, forgive me, but maybe you don't really have much weight to lose?
I know that if I ate cookies or cake everyday for breakfast, I'd gain at least 20-30 pounds by the end of the year.
Then again, I am 41 years old and want to lose about 40-50 lbs.

My Son, used to eat cookies every day as part of his dessert before we found NoS.. After a year of being on it with me, without total perfection, he lost 2 inches of "love handles" he had been developing and his tightest pants which we were going to throw away, ended up not only fitting, but being so loose he needed a belt to keep them up.

Of course, all this being said, you will have to do what works for you, as everyone has mentioned.

Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:12 pm

So far so good. I was offered some biscuits last night at around 10 whilst watching Desperate Housewives. Normally Sunday night for me is a semi-manic eating session especially if I'm sitting infront of the TV. However I was still full from dinner and I've found that eating so late gives me indigestion anyway so I refused, since I could have those biscuits the next morning if I still wanted them..

This morning I woke up with a realm of possibiities..flapjack for breakfast anyone??? But I found that my sleepy early morning self only craved a nice bowl of cornflakes with milk so I just had that instead.

I'm really enjoying this tweak so far. It's the first Monday I've not felt uncomfortably bloated.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:16 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:
I can't remember your personal situation Babyphrr, forgive me, but maybe you don't really have much weight to lose?
I know that if I ate cookies or cake everyday for breakfast, I'd gain at least 20-30 pounds by the end of the year.
Then again, I am 41 years old and want to lose about 40-50 lbs.

I have probably five to ten pounds to lose but my current BMI is around 20.5 and those five to ten pounds are due to vanity :oops: rather than actual need. Ironically thats probably why they're harder to shift as well!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:09 am

babyprrr,

BMI of 20.5 is a really good weight, it will be interesting to see if your new tweak helps you get to where you want to go, good luck,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:01 am

babyprrr wrote:
wosnes wrote:There are people who do this normally. Whatever works!

really? you mean they eat cookies/muffins for breakfast on an N day too?
Sure!, in my country and other spanish colonized countries, people start their morning with a pastry and tea or coffe with milk and that doesn't make them fat.
My granny has done that her entire life and at 105 she is still doing it!, the key is, as you say: moderation and once a day; one donut in the morning, not half a dozen, you know?.

Good luck with your experiment!.

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 pm

ugh today was a bad day. I had a slice of walnut cake for breakfast and this meant that I was ravenous by lunchtime. Normally it would be okay because I have my packed lunch at work then just get on with whatever I need to do in the afternoon. But today I came home for lunch, which meant I had all the contents of my kitchen at my disposal.

I made an omelette which wasnt very satisfying ( i omitted using butter or oil...i don't know if that was why?)...so I had some sweetcorn afterwards which was okay because that was quite healthy. But then having the sweetcorn 'after' kinda screwed me up mentally cuz then I was like 'oh ive had more than one plate'...then ended up having a binge.

Had a big salad for dinner because I was soo full after my mini-binge. This is unrelated to the tweak in question but I find I've been really obsessive about my food recently. I think about food all the time and worry about what I'm going to having for my next meal and whether it's healthy enough. I think I'm going to take a step back and try to just stick to having three meals a day and not worry about 'what' the meals are.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:12 am

Good luck and good idea Baby!
Try to include something green for at least one of your meals I'd say, and then other than that, yeah,,,, don't worry at all.
You will be fine. And *definitely* do include a little bit of oil or butter in your cooking.. It's so much nicer to feel you are eating something that is satisfying.. Don't go nuts with it, but definitely, enjoy it. In the end, that dissatisfied feeling ends up making you look for other food to eat, so it's counterproductive to try and skimp on calories like a little bit of butter with your omelet, especially if you then make up for it by eating one thing after another. And also, please! Don't beat yourself up.. This just continues the "all or nothing" problem and sets you up for another binge..
Just forgive yourself and start again next day.

On a personal note.. I worked at Starbucks for a while during school..
I was never really into sweets.. Seconds and night time eating were always my problems.. But for the first time ever, I found myself having these scones and banana bread things every day.. This was before NoS actually.
I gained about 9 pounds in one month of eating a little muffin type thing every day.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Betty

Post by Betty » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:45 am

My daughters (6,8) are allowed one small sweet a day, no matter what. They can have it at breakfast or afterschool, whenever. It's very rare, even on true "S" days, that they ever ask for more than that one sweet. They have been known to refuse candy from Santa Claus!

So, I would say, decide what you want to do and be strict about it!

Good Luck,

Betty
Be your own best friend and advocate. Be gentle and kind to yourself. Your weight is not the problem.

Before: 140
During: 140 (again!)

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:07 am

decide what you want to do and be strict about it!
Betty,

what a great suggestion!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:47 pm

what great advice from everyone! I really appreciate you guys coming in and taking the time to read my ramblings on this thread.

I'm still finding myself slightly worrying about what to have for each meal. Hopefully the more I work at NOT worrying the less I'll worry if that makes sense. I'm now not allowed to think/obsess about my next meal until it's time to have it.

Btw, I ordered in pizza with some friends last night and got teased because I put my three slices on a plate with some salad on the side whereas everyone else had theirs straight out of the box. I find my meal much more enjoyable if I'm using a knife and fork to eat it with some salad n the side. I also ended up eating a lot less than everyone else ( all the girls had five each, and the boys had ten! :shock: )