No S Facebook App

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

No S Facebook App

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:57 am

I see on a lot of websites a widget to post to Facebook. Could we get something like that? Does anyone know if there is a Facebook Group dedicated to No S? I am thinking that with the New Year, people will be looking for diets.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:52 am

Brilliant idea Blithe Morning :)
Reinhard should have a link to Myspace as well I think.
Peace,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:09 am

If you guys make a Facebook group, I'm in.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:51 am

Me too! :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:55 pm

There is a facebook "group" (not sure if this is what you mean):

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19526240069

Not a whole lot going on there yet, but y'all have my blessing to change that :-)

I have to warn you, I'm pretty much a passive facebooker (I log in when someone "friends" me and that's about it). Though I guess if things take off here I could be persuaded to become a little more active...

Reinhard

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 pm

Reinhard, I'm sure you already know this, but...a Facebook group is quite different from a Facebook application. The only real benefit to joining a group is to meet up and discuss with other people of similar interests, which most people already do here.

An app, on the other hand, is generally interactive and focused on the individual; something people can actively display on their profile and change as often as they'd like. It would be excellent to be able to post your Habitcal on your FB page! Also your goals and progress to date, upcoming S days, and probably other things I can't think of. I think an app is a great idea :D

Any FB user can create a group, but an app is an actual program. Much more involved. Pretty convenient that you're a computer programmer though, isn't it? :wink:

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey, I joined the group!.
Yeah, it is just like a forum, I don't know how to make an application, but I would love it if it would be there.
Facebook is so good at grouping all your Internet life in one place, that having NoS as well in there would be wonderful!.
And also, whenever people look at applications (which aren't nearly as many as there are groups), people can become curious and learn about it and NoS.
Publicity, y'know.

iggy

Post by iggy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:21 am

Yes, a Facebook application would be fantastic. I know nothing of how to do this, but would enthusiastically use such an app.
Fall down seven times; get up eight.

la_loser

Pro or Con?

Post by la_loser » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:07 am

Pro: Facebook app or group could bring more exposure to No S and Everyday Systems which would be great. Anything to make it more mainstream would be a plus, I'm sure.

Con:
1. I can't imagine having a better more effective and useful "forum" than what we already have. . . and with all the "archived" topics and threads from several years, we have a treasure trove of knowledge from both Reinhard and the members themselves. The Facebook group does note the links to the No S website so people could fine more info.

2. With the current forum, members can maintain their anonymity--which is most certainly an advantage to most of us. We feel free to say whatever we want, many share very personal thoughts. Facebook affords zero anonymity; no more "user names"--your real you and your location and lots of other info is out there for the whole Facebook world to see.

So I applaud those who are willing to post there and sing the praises of No S. But I certainly wouldn't want it to ever (and I'm not really worried that this would happen) replace our tried and true site.

(Maybe it's a generational thing--our younger members may have more interest in doing this. I AM a member of Facebook, but check it rarely unless I'm trying to locate some long lost person from my past!)
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:24 pm

I agree, we don't want to recreate the group. Rather, we want to send people here. In my original post, I threw out the idea of widgets, apps and groups as if they there the same and they aren't.

I checked out what it would take to make a Facebook App. Those are those annoying invitations and "gifts" people give you to stop climate change or end world hunger or sell Victoria's Secret undies. It requires a knowledge of PHP and looks like a lot more work than I would want to do so I'm thinking it's probably more work than Reinhard wants to do, especially as a weekend Luddite.

I think a widget might be better suited to our needs. From the No S page, we could upload a No S widget to our Facebook page which would direct any friend that clicks on it to here.

About Widgets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_widget

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:59 pm

I did actually consider making a habitcal facebook widget at some point (it's actually why I joined facebook)...

I'll look into it some more....

In the meantime, if you find this remotely interesting, join the facebook group. If we get enough members, it'll give me some indication that further efforts might be worthwhile. Otherwise it's going to be hard to justify taking time away from the bulletin board/sites/regular habitcal...

Reinhard

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:06 pm

In poking around how to utilize Facebook for my work at a science center, I found the following:

Facebook Share: I put some code, a logo, and some tags into a table on the Center's website and voila, people can click on it and the Center's logo will post to their profiles.
http://www.facebook.com/facebook?ref=pf ... rtners.php

Facebook Business Pages: You can create a page for your business or organization. The benefit is that people can "Become a fan" which posts to their profiles.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=lo ... ess/?pages

I'm not really a website designer. I'm more of a website maintainer which means I know just enough to be dangerous. The above took me all of 25 minutes and it took that long only because I didn't originally paste the logo and all into a table. The table isn't required, but it was the only way I knew to keep Facebook from offering every jpeg on the page as the picture to upload to the profile.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:21 pm

It's not quite facebook, but I just created a "google gadget" habitcal viewer.

You can paste it into your igoogle page, blog, or personal website.

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/#ggl

Questions, comments and suggestions welcome!

Facebook next...

Reinhard

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:49 pm

I have been looking on Facebook for a NoS page. For some reason it never turned up in my search, though I see here there is one.

I'm looking for more of a fan page than a group - since I already have this group - but I'd like to 'be a fan'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 am

I'll look into it! (really swamped recently, so can't give an ETA, though it looks pretty easy)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:20 am

Great! Thanks :)