A month of No S and I've gained over six pounds!!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alanajuliana

A month of No S and I've gained over six pounds!!!!

Post by alanajuliana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:32 am

I have been "good", no-s style. only one red day and that was because dinner was too light and I had to eat again two hours later because I was HUNGRY.

So this is clearly not working for me.

I have been eating quite a bit at mealtimes, but just one plate, and working on shrinking my portions, but wanting to eat enough so that I can make it to dinner, and guess what: the last couple of hours of the late afternoon I have still had to "white knuckle it" quite a bit.

Could it be that for people with hypoglycemia, this just won't work at all without modifying it to five small mini meals a day? So I"ve been stuffing myself in vain, when I should have been eating less total, just spread out better for my crappy metabolism?

Because now I'm FAT. We just moved and I'd gained about five pounds due to stress eating, and decided I needed to "do something about it" and found No S and have done it faithfully for a month and here I am, 6.6 pounds heavier than when I started. And it's ALL in my belly and breasts. Ick.

My clothes don't fit anymore.

I thought a month would be long enough to undo some of the damage I'd done to myself with our move (I'm a stress eater), and now I've doubled the damage.

So, convince me why I shouldn't give up?????????

storm fox

hi

Post by storm fox » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:03 am

Hi, I may not have an answer for you, but I did want to throw out some support. With hypoglycemia, I would really recommend clearing any diet with you Dr. since diet can have such a profound effect on the problem.
Some questions for you:
The first sounds bad, but please don't take it as such. It's been addressed on this board and in the book-How many days have you weighed yourself at +6 pounds? THe intent here is to make sure that what you have gained is actually fat, as opposed to other things that can cause bodyweight to fluctuate.

What is your water intake like? Staying hydrated is important, but also helps regulate apetite.

In a related note, you could be doing No-S to the letter if you drank a glass of whole milk between meals to curb your apetite and possibly help control mealtime portions. If there is an entrenched behavioral/psychological component to your hunger, which sounds right given your disclosure of being an emotional eater, the milk may serve to wean you onto more regulated meals. One of my first thoughts going into this was "oh no, only 3 'eating events' per day?" I kind of panicked a bit. Eventually, hunger became enjoyable. It changed from "holy crap I'm starving!" to "Oh, my body's getting ready to eat again."

Some have found it necessary to ease into the diet by gradually increasing compliance.

Again, my heart goes out to you. Check with your doctor first. If the doc okays No-S for you, or recommends some minor mods or what have you, then go for it and don't lose heart.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:13 am

Oh dear!

Well, I agree with stormfox. Definitely check with your doctor first and make sure No-S is is OK with you. The milk in-between meals sounds like a good option and one that is suggested in the book.

Beyond that, have you been overdoing it on your S days? Are you exercising on a regular basis? Are you getting enough sleep? These things can make a huge difference.

I hope that you find some solutions that work for you!

Hugs and take good care!
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

KAxelrod

Post by KAxelrod » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:14 am

Arrgh...How very frustrating!

I can't speak to the issue of whether as a hypoglycemic you should be eating more, smaller meals daily. It definitely sounds like that might be the issue. And, if it is, I wouldn't want to convince you to stay on No S. Or maybe it would make sense to do No S, but with 5 smaller meals/day, instead of 3 bigger meals? I think that in the book Reinhart addresses medical issues that would allow for modifications.

It sounds like you have been sticking to No S very well, and I would expect some weight loss, or to at least remain the same. I know that for me, the scale is not always an accurate representation of where I am. And, there are days when I do feel fatter. But, if I take an average of my weight over some days, that's more likely to be accurate. Was your 6.6 pounds heavier based on one day on the scale?

I do love No S, even though I've had periods of slight weight gain at times (but I think it's because my S days have been idiot days, and I've stretched the "one plate" rule at times). I hope you find a way to make it work for you!!

alanajuliana

Post by alanajuliana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:10 am

Well, I didn't eat constantantly on my S days. But too many desserts, for sure.

Milk gives me gut cramps. I was doing some watered down OJ or tea with non-dairy creamer in the late afternoons to stretch things out.

I don't know...I got on the scale this morning and it was WAY up. I'd been hoping that my pre-nos weight was the "retaining water weight", ha ha.

I was talking it over with dh and realized that there's a difference between a planned mini-meal (aka "snack" in some circles) to a mindless feed trough noshing behavior (also known as "snacking" in some circles.)

No S has definitely taught me the difference.

I'll make some modifications and see what happens.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:52 am

I can think of twice in my life when my weight gain was all in my belly and my breasts. They're 26 and 28 now.

It took a LOT of weight gain -- certainly more than 11 pounds -- for it to show up in my breasts. Granted, everyone is different.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

alanajuliana

Post by alanajuliana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice thought. But no.

la_loser

Give it some time--your body is adjusting!

Post by la_loser » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:50 am

OMG-I'm editing this post because I wrote it with the wrong person in mind--so it really did not address Alana's situation at all!

When I get some time, I'll go back in and "rework" to make sense!

Sorry for the confusion--these brain cells have stopped working for today I guess!

and for anyone who missed my answer that did not apply--you didn't miss much!
Last edited by la_loser on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

alanajuliana

Post by alanajuliana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm 5'8". When I started WW last year, I weighed 215. It took me almost a year to eek down to 192ish, then I got so sick of WW I quit. and was maintaining my weight around 195. Then we moved and I gained 5 pounds, up to 200. I started No S and now I"m at 206 and none of my shirts fit.

At 206 I'm once again "Obese" as opposed to merely "overweight", and it's very very depressing.

I also have FMS/Chronic Fatigue. I exercise when I can, but it's not perfect.

I'd love to be down to 170, and the body police say I ought to weigh no MORE than 164. Ha ha ha.

I've never been able to get below 190 since I had my second child back in 1996 (I have four kids now).

So, I don't really think my body is doing a very good job of finding it's balance at all. The balance my body "likes" is FAT.

My therapist does NOT like me forcing myself not to eat a "mini meal"/snack in the afternoon. She's a nutritionist. She says that me doing No S is just another diet with rules to follow, break and blow, and that I have to learn to nurture myself from within and set limits with myself and the food stuff will iron itself out, instead of following whatever external rules I decide to impose upon myself.

I'm between docs right now, but the latest advice I'd gotten is that I ought to forever and always be on a low carb diet, which I've BTDT and the thought of which now makes me want to throw up. Gag.

OK, so now the whole internet knows how messed up I am.

la_loser

Sorry--

Post by la_loser » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:01 pm

Oh my gosh--somehow I had looked at your post then the one from sophiasapientia and managed to think her stats were yours! I am so sorry I added some lame comments, all about weighing 125 pounds and all. . . gee, you're in about the same situation as I am and I DO FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I'm going to delete that post right off there and rework it to make sense!

Have a wonderful weekend--and hang in there--this part from my original post is true-we're all in this together.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:14 pm

She says that me doing No S is just another diet with rules to follow, break and blow, and that I have to learn to nurture myself from within and set limits with myself and the food stuff will iron itself out, instead of following whatever external rules I decide to impose upon myself.
I guess I don't understand the difference between setting limits with yourself and following reasonable rules. Is it that you are basing your worth as a person on how well you follow the rules (external motivation) rather than seeing yourself as a competent, decent person who deserves a balanced life within healthy boundaries (internal motivation)?

Anyway, do what you must to get yourself on a regular, sustainable, and moderate pattern of eating. If that means 5 meals a day, then do it. If it means three, then do it.

Gotta love them hormones...

la_loser

3aday's post about hanging in there

Post by la_loser » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:37 pm

I just remembered. . . 3aday posted this awesome topic which was actually a repost of something she wrote last spring. It is very inspiring to me and I hope to re-read it if I start getting those "this isn't working" flies buzzing around my head!

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#51370

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:45 pm

I have been "good", no-s style. only one red day
I'm sorry the results have been so lousy, but this literal compliance is in itself good news and something you can build on. You don't have to chuck the whole thing out. You've got a solid foundation for further efforts.
I have been eating quite a bit at mealtimes, but just one plate, and working on shrinking my portions,

Again, you were exactly right to do this. Sorry it didn't work out better for you off the bat, but you've successfully narrowed down the avenues by which excess can get to you. It's still clearly getting in somehow, but it should be far more obvious now from where -- and so easier to intercept.
Could it be that for people with hypoglycemia, this just won't work at all without modifying it to five small mini meals a day?
I don't know. It's possible. Certainly discuss it with your doctor. We have had some reports of success on no-s from hypoglycemics on this board, but every case is different, of course.
So, convince me why I shouldn't give up?????????
Well, I won't do exactly that... no diet works for EVERYONE and no-s may just not be what you personally need. I'll just ask: do you think there's enough that's appealing about no-s to want to give it some more time and tweaks? If so, there are a number of "mods" that have been suggested on this board that you might want to consider. Once you've decided that yes, no-s is something you'd like to give another chance AND consulted your doctor (please don't neglect to do this) then ask yourself: where is the excess coming in? S-days? Enormous firsts? Can you get even more specific than that? Find that most specific, most egregious behavior or situation you can think of. Then make the smallest possible change to address that excess. Then give that change a solid month before considering further interventions. If you're having trouble coming up with an appropriate remedy, we'll be happy to give you more finely tailored advice once you let us know what you think the primes suspects are.

Reinhard

alanajuliana

Post by alanajuliana » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks, reinhard, I'll keep figuring it out.

jessdr

Post by jessdr » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm hypoglycemic as well, and was terrified of giving up snacking. When I read the book, I assumed that I would be drinking milk two or three times a day to avoid blood sugar crashes. But if I don't eat complete junk, I rarely have to have a liquid snack more than twice a week.

I did gain some weight during my over-full plate phase. That said, at the same time, I was also dealing with a hip injury, which drastically reduced my activity levels, and I was releasing an instructional video, which took over my life, and I ate take-out virtually every night for six weeks to save the cooking time, so I was eating a whole lot of junk. But now that things have calmed down, I'm cooking again, using smaller plates, and VERY slowly phasing in a little exercise, and it's coming back off pretty effortlessly.

Everybody is different, but here's what works for me:

1) Make sure that every meal had sufficient protein and fat. Even if I eat the whole box, cereal is just not going to get me through to lunch without a snack (or blood sugar crash). I do much better if I think of the protein source and veggies as the core of the meal, and keep my starch portions reasonable.

This doesn't have to be a "rule" that gets you back into a dieting mindset. That's counter-productive. I know I'll feel better if I have a good protein and fat buffer, so I try to eat that way more often than not, but I haven't "failed" if I don't. And you can change your meal composition gradually; it doesn't have to be a drastic change.

2) Avoid fruit juice as a snack. The sugar in it will raise blood sugar up briefly, but it also produces a bigger insulin spike that will produce a worse crash later on. You mentioned that you can't have milk; have you tried lactaid? If lactose isn't the problem, V8, unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened soymilk might work for you.

3) Watch out for caffeine. A caffeine crash can mimic a blood sugar crash, and there's some indication that it can actually produce one. I have gone from a diet coke addict to drinking mostly low- or no-caffeine tea, and I get far fewer crashes. This is also something you can ease yourself into. I lost my taste for diet coke suddenly, but then I went through regular coffee to half-caf, to mostly decaf coffee, to mostly tea, to mostly decaf tea.

4) Drink enough water, especially when I feel hungry. Thirst can masquerade as hunger, and I was accustomed to interpreting hunger as "okay, if I don't eat something reasonably soon, I'm going to crash". I'm sure I've eaten a LOT of unnecessary snacks when all I needed was some water.

5) Scale back portion sizes SLOWLY, and only when ready. As Reinhard said, building the one-plate habit is the most important thing. But once that's nice and ingrained, and you're no longer terrified of getting hungry, start eating just a little less.

I switched to smaller plates, which I find more psychologically satisfying, but you can also gradually reduce the amount of plate real estate you're using. Serve yourself a tiny bit less, stick with that level for as long a it takes to become confident that it's enough, then scale it back another tiny bit. And keep the reductions tiny, like three bites, so you don't have to worry about it being enough. Three bites less won't trigger a crash.

This isn't a diet rule, you're just changing the habit of serving yourself a lot to the habit of serving yourself a little less. Just take it slowly, and it'll be relatively painless, and eventually, it'll seem perfectly normal.

No matter what you end up doing, keep a suitable snack on hand just in case (those little V8 cans are great), and take it slowly. The goal is to build life-long habits, so give yourself as much time as you need.
Diet refugee, trying to get my head back on straight.

DPL

Post by DPL » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I love jessdr's entire post. Very helpful.
started December 2, 2008

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Sorry to hear about the weight gain. I can't add anymore than what has been said here. However, crazy as it might sound, it is just six pounds. Maybe there is a retention of water making some of that weight. Try again in a few days. Second, try to be easy on yourself. Reinhard said it best this is not meant to be a diet but also a process of analysis of your eating habits. It is on one plate now. You know if it is too much. You know if it is junk. Is it either? Try to enjoy yourself. Enjoy your kids. I am sorry to hear about your health issues that prevent exercise. Hopefully you will feel better soon. Your angst is felt by many on this board who also struggle with their weight. Me included. Take care of yourself.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:02 pm

Dr. Schwarzbein writes that sometimes you gain weight when you begin eating balanced meals at regular intervals.
It's part of the transition process.
Some of her patients gain 40 pounds before beginning to lose.
Trust me, this won't happen with No S because you are eating 3 meals instead of 5 like she recommends.
She writes "You have to be healthy to lose weight not lose weight to be healthy."
I did not lose when I finally re-commited to No S in 2007. I gained weight the first month actually. (Maybe even the second). But, one day, I went to buy jeans and they were two sizes smaller. Now over a year later, my jeans went down one more size.
Plus, my weight loss does not reflect my size loss at all.
That is why I don't focus on weight.

On another note, I am a type 2 diabetic since I was 30. I started No S with 3 meals and a snack. Now, the 3 meals are perfect for my blood sugar levels and I no longer take diabetic medicine. For me not eating after dinner during the week is sort of like an intermittent fast for me which has plenty of benefits in healing and readjusting your portions naturally over time.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I read through your post looking for the diet that you just got off to see if that was the problem. Weight Watchers. Counting everything that goes into your mouth. How fun is that?

I knoe nothing about hypoglycemia and don't even know what it is, but my guess is you are experiencing what the book Intuitive Eating calls "diet backlash". Your time on Weight Watchers was a time when you were never ever satisifed, and now with this diet you have the ability to each as much as you want and so your body is taking advantage of it for fear of another Weight Watchers experience right around the corner!

I tried the Intuitive Eating approach of giving myself "unconditional permission to eat" all the time and gained 10 pounds, which really irritated me. With The No S Diet, the time of "unconditional permission to eat" is limited to S Days. What I am finding is that N Days are easier for me (after 90 days on the diet) than S Days, but I think the reason why is that my body isn't yet over 35 years of restrictive eating. I was on Weight Watchers, I was on The Scarsdale Diet, I was on the Cabbage Soup Diet, and I created a number of diets myself. To me, what sets this diet apart is that there are times when you can be fully satisifed and there are times when you restrict but don't feel like you're starving.

Kathleen

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Dr. Schwarzbein writes that sometimes you gain weight when you begin eating balanced meals at regular intervals.
It's part of the transition process.
Becky,

this is an excellent point! When I discovered Dr. Schwarzbein a few years back and read what she wrote about how undereating and overexercising and then swinging to opposite extremes can screw up our hormones it made a lot of sense to me. Apparently ... and this is gross paraphasing, it takes a while of eating "sensibly" and exercising moderately for some of us for our hormones to re-regulate themselves and balance out before our bodies are comfortable and able to "healthily" shed pounds.

This is really valuable information to be aware of and very supportive and encouraging in giving the No S Diet time to work,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

davestarbuck

Post by davestarbuck » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:30 pm

I hate to break it to you, but you may have to permanently alter the foods you eat, in order to lose weight.

I suggest eating nothing but meat,leaves,berries and nuts for a couple of days to see how that agrees with you. No dairy,sugar, or grains. That is treating starches like an S. Something like this is what I eat about every day.

Breakfast: eggs,bacon, fruit (grapes are my favorite)

Lunch: Salad with olives,tomato,cucumber, and walnuts with a can of tuna tossed in. Use as much of a olive oil and vinegar type dressing as you wish.

Supper: Seared steak with onions,mushrooms and zuchinni.

Your hypoglycemia is indicative of high insulin resistance. High insulin resistance is caused by too much carbohydrate in your diet.

This general outline works well for me, although I eat a little bread here and there now and then., and I eat cheese still. I also allow myself some wine and beer during the week. My S days are mostly the same but sometimes I eat sweets, or pizza or pasta. Mostly though I'm satisfied with the eggs/bacon,salad,steak type outline.

If you can stick with this outline, hunger pangs are almost eliminated. You will experience freedom from hunger. That is the beauty of lowering your insulin resistance.

As said before eliminating snacking is probably the most important thing.

Good luck,

Dave
Cut to size,file to fit, paint to match...

tapper47

Post by tapper47 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm

davestarbuck wrote:I hate to break it to you, but you may have to permanently alter the foods you eat, in order to lose weight.
Your hypoglycemia is indicative of high insulin resistance. High insulin resistance is caused by too much carbohydrate in your diet.

If you can stick with this outline, hunger pangs are almost eliminated. You will experience freedom from hunger. That is the beauty of lowering your insulin resistance.

As said before eliminating snacking is probably the most important thing.

Good luck,

Dave
What Dave said. I had to give up wheat because of IBS and I have really reduced carbs because of hypoglycemia.

This has really been the difference for me. Instead of being so hungry I can't stand it, I now eat twice a day most days. I only eat when hungry and then stop when I am done. I have lost 8 more pounds.
Happily eating 3 times a day