Chocolate milk?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

orangemeg

Chocolate milk?

Post by orangemeg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:27 pm

Is this considered a sweet? It can't be as bad to drink as soda...right?

I don't drink it often. But I kind of want some today.

(Four days green so far. Hooray!)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Congrats on your 4 green days! That's great! :D ...

I'm a newbie too and am interested in what the resident experts say about this. My first thought is that anything chocolate, including chocolate milk, would be considered a sweet, although it certainly has more redeeming qualities than soda. (Chocolate is my major weakness so I'm making it an S-day choice.)
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi, I have been wondering the same thing. Actually, I think the book mentions something about being allowed to use pure unsweetened cocoa... but I can't remember what it said exactly. :oops:

orangemeg

Post by orangemeg » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:17 pm

I sort of remember the mention of unsweetened cocoa. But, as a child, I made the unfortunate mistake of sneaking some cocoa powder thinking it would taste good.

It didn't! Worst thing ever. That is how I learned what "bitter" meant.

If I have to make my chocolate milk with that, I will just not make it. Blech.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 pm

I think Reinhard's book makes mention of an old Aztec chocolate recipe and mentioned it'd be legal:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/6 ... 0761.shtml

1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup boiling water
ground pepper of chilies to taste
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Aztec Chocolate: Grate the unsweetened chocolate into a bowl and cover it with a little of the boiling water. Mash the mixture into a paste. Add the rest of the water and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until frothy. Add the pepper and chilies to liven up the drink.

The chocolate will not totally dissolve and will have a grittiness to it. For a more authentic drink let the mixture cool and then beat until frothy and drink.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:55 pm

If the main ingredient in any beverage is sugar, then it's a sweet.
Commercially made chocolate milk is definitely an S, unless it's with fake sweetener.
Congratulations on your 4 good days Meg!

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 pm

ps.. Yes, the taste of real cocoa is very bitter.. This is why most chocolate is mostly sugar and fat.. But these days there are all these heavy duty dark chocolates which have more cocoa.. I don't really like them.
Gimme a Hershey bar any day. 8)

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:54 pm

I am no expert on chocolate milk, but if it is commerically produced, I am guessing it is an S food.

I *do* make hot cocoa as a N day beverage and it is very good. (I only make hot chocolate--with real chocolate--on S days). If we have leftovers (rarely), it makes a good tasting chocolate milk when cold.

Here is a standard, no-fail recipe:

1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa (Hershey's is good)
pinch salt
1/3 c. HOT water

4 cups lowfat milk
1/2 t. vanilla

Whisk together sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in hot water and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until boiling. (This takes just a few minutes).

Stir/whisk in 4 cups milk. Turn heat to low and let get as hot as you like, stirring occasionally.

When drinkably hot, take off heat and mix in vanilla. Serve in mugs. This makes 5 mugs, 6 teacups. It averages just over 2 tsp. sugar per serving (about what many people take in a cup of coffee) so I figure it is a legit. N day beverage. I don't make this every day, but probably once a week, on a cold, wet night. Mmmm.

PS. Don't be tempted to skip the cooking with hot water--this really helps lessen the powdery feel of cocoa-based beverages.....

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Here are my thoughts. I drink chocolate milk often. I buy the chocolate syrup, not the commercially mixed chocolate milk. When I make my milk, I add about 1.5 tablespoons (0.75 oz) of liquid syrup to 12 oz of 1% milk. That means the syrup makes up about 6% of the total drink. I can’t stand the taste of plain milk, but adding this small amount of sugar makes it palatable to me and makes for a nice, healthy, filling breakfast when I’m in a rush.

So I think homemade chocolate milk is fine, especially in moderation. Yes, it tastes sweet, but it’s not A sweet. It’s MILK with a small, concentrated amount of sugar. If you’re free to add sugar to your coffee, you should be ok adding it to your milk as well.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Hello Kitty.. I am responding to your post here just to make a distinction.
I am not condemning you for having that tablespoon and a half of syrup..
I myself have powdered hot chocolate mix in my coffee, and that is definitely a lot of extra sugar each day. Over the whole day, I usually have about as much as would be in 1 or 2 cups of hot chocolate.
Anyway, the thing that makes a sweet a "sweet" on NoS is not the ratio of ounces to ounces.. It's the percentage of calories of that which is from sugar.
A glass of regular milk is about 100 calories or so.. the calories of sugar from a few tablespoons of chocolate syrup is about the same.. I think?
The other thing which distinguishes whether something is not just "borderline" like peanut butter and jelly, or added sugar in these drinks, is how much of them you actually consume. If you have several of these a day, I'd say it goes from borderline into the "S" category.
Love,

8) Debs

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Debs, thank you for making that important distinction! I hadn't really considered it that way. But I haven't read the book, and if you've read any of my other posts you know I'm not a vanilla no-Ser.

I Googled and did a little more math and you're very right. 1.5 tbsp of syrup contains just under 100 calories, and 12 oz of milk contains about 150. So in that glass, 40% of the calories are coming from sugar.

I guess I should clarify that if I have that 12 oz glass of milk for breakfast, it's usually ALL I have for breakfast (of course, lunch happens a little earlier on those days). And I do believe in moderation, for everything :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:05 pm

No worries Kitty. I'd say as long as you don't have more than a few glasses a day it's still semi borderline..
I wish I could curtail this in my own daily coffee, but I tried to and it had really disastrous results for me.. So I focus on watching the cookies, cake, soda etc.. It's slower, no doubt, for me to lose the weight because of this, but I guess it's an S I'm not really ready or willing to give up at the moment.
Unless you wanna see a very very grouchy Debs in the morning! LOL :twisted:
Have a nice day!
8) Debs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:13 pm

HelloKitty wrote: And I do believe in moderation, for everything :D
I do too :wink:

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 pm

I drink chocolate soy milk, as it's just about my only source of calcium.
But I do have it with a meal and usually just once a day, if that.

If it were a weakness of mine, probably I'd save it for S days.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm gonna start today with cutting the amount of powdered hot chocolate in my coffee down and see how that helps.. Cold turkey didn't work for me last time.. Got in a really bad state actually.
But I think I'm ready to give it a go again and just cut it in half, weaning myself down baby step style.
I know over the course of the week, this will reduce my sugar by a lot, cos I have, on average about 4 cups of coffee a day during the Winter, and sometimes 5 or 6.
So basically, this will translate as having one cup of cocoa per day, instead of two. That's 2000 less unnecessary calories a month, figuring conservatively.

ps.. Hi Shamrockmommy! Did you know that there are a lot of non dairy sources for calcium?
Almonds, sardines, dark leafy greens, seaweed.. All really high in calcium.
1/4 cup of almonds equals the same calcium in a glass of milk, and there are some seaweeds, Kombu, in particular, which have a very high amount of calcium.
Just fyi

:wink:

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks Deb. I will add almonds to my meals- already eat dark green leafy veggies too.
Sardines? Kelp? :shock:

LOL
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:35 pm

Hahah I take it you don't like sardines..
I love them but that's just me :)

Here's a list I just found. I think I may have been a bit off with my numbers.
Hope it helps.
Have a nice weekend :D
8) Debs

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/edu/cal ... index.html

paulawylma

cocoa and chocolate milk and dark chocolate

Post by paulawylma » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:18 am

I haven't officially started no s because night time snacking is a problem for me. But I'm about to start a 20 week diet challenge and I'm thinking that no s might lose me more weight than one of the numerous diets I'm tried in the past.

On to the point, I have the book and the book says that you can put sugar into your coffee, as long as you avoid presweetened coffee drinks. It seems to me, that if you follow this principle then if you make your own cocoa or chocolate milk using unsweetened cocoa, and add only the sugar that you might reasonably add to coffee, then it should be OK. I have made my own cocoa, halving the recommended amount for ages. I recently tried a hot cocoa commerical mix and couldn't drink it. It tasted so sweet, it was sickening. So, if you make your own chocolate milk, using cocoa and adding your own sugar, then the principle would be the same (just cold instead of hot). To make cold chocolate milk, mix the cocoa and sugar together then add just a couple of Tablespoons of hot water to make a sause, then slowly add the milk a bit at a time, stiring between additions. This way the cocoa will completely mix in the cold milk without clumping.

The rule of thumb in the book (p 67) "Is it sweet enough to be a dessert?"

Also on the chocolate/cocoa issue. Last year I incorporated some of the advice from French Women Don't Get Fat into my diet. One of these was "don't eat junky chocolate." So I was eating quality dark chocolate and after a while I found that only one or two small squares were enought to satisify my chocolate cravings. After Halloween, I happened to have serveral bags of candy left over, and figured that I would probably eat only a piece of two--just like the dark. Wrong. I couldn't believe the cravings that started one I ate just one piece. I couldn't stop. A few days later I tried the dark chocolate again--and as before I only needed one of two small squares and was happy. I don't know why but apparently commerical milk chocolate causes cravings in me that quality dark chocolate doesn't. So, if you have a chocolate problem, look at the quality of the chocolate--and whether or not it is milk chocolate or dark chocolate .

I officially start no-s on Monday --though I guess I could start today since it is an "S" day--same difference right? :-)

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:28 pm

I drink hot cocoa. I have a pod coffee maker and I get the cocoa pods. They are sweetened with Splenda but still have calories, I add a little milk too. I feel like I am still good with vanilla No S this way.

I have had some ovaltine as well when I was recovering from dental stuff, but in general I would call it a sweet.