Soup & Sandwich

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

burlsgirl

Soup & Sandwich

Post by burlsgirl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:06 pm

I'll give the disclaimer up front that this is just a random, rambling question. I tend to think out loud, and this forum serves the purpose quite nicely.

Regarding soup and sandwichas a meal, I'm thinking that if it's a big ol' deli sandwich, it should be a meal on it's own; no bowl of soup needed. Same with a nice big bowl of hearty soup or stew. But, a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich seems very different, like it's ok to consider that one meal, even though it's technically two items?

I can be full on a big sandwich, but not on a smooshed flat grilled cheese. Likewise, I can be full on a big bowl of hearty soup or stew, but not (for long, anyway) on a little bowl of tomato, broccolli, or say, chicken noodle...

Told you it was rambling. Just wondering what everyones' take on the subject may be. Or maybe I'm the only one that cares!

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:37 pm

I know what you mean ... soup/sandwich is my main lunch. I like soup much more if I have a sandwich with it, and vice-versa, but you've got to take into account the density of both, and strike a balance.

So far, I have been relying on the "one plate" rule, with a vertical limit proviso. The way I do it is: the soup bowl fits on the plate, and there has to be enough room for the sandwich (cut in half, not 16ths) to fit around the bowl. And chili doesn't count as soup. And many of your deli sandwiches won't fit on the plate with a soup bowl, too. And if the sandwich is taller than the soup bowl, you've got a vertical limit issue.

So what I often end up having is my homemade vegetable soup with, say, a tuna sandwich ... or my homemade hearty vegetable/bean soup with a "smooshed flat" grilled cheese sandwich.

After three months or so, I seem to have developed kind of an intuitive feeling about what soup goes with which sandwich in terms of results -- No-S has made me enjoy being hungry before lunch, and also made me not enjoy feeling stuffed to gills after lunch, so I actively avoid pairing the deluxe Italian combo with the Tuscan bean & pasta soup.

I also try to avoid obsessing about this too much -- if I end up feeling too full, or not full enough, I chalk it up to experience and move on.

And .. I totally agree with you about how great it is to be able to ramble on with random thoughts on this forum, because that's how my mind, anyway, works. Something you might think was too hazy to post can actually turn out to be a big light-bulb moment for someone else, and the ensuing discussion gets your head straight, too. (I think it's called "Win-Win", a quality I seek more of in my life!)

burlsgirl

Post by burlsgirl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Thanks for making me feel not so crazy!

I agree with everything you said. I have a passion for a big Italian sub, but wouldn't think of pairing it with soup. I don't even have chips with it anymore.

Yesterday, one of my kids was a little tummy sick, so we had chicken noodle soup. In my pre No-S days, I would've skipped it altogether b/c of the "white" noodles. But it was already made, I was pleasantly hungry, and geesh, it's just soup. Then I thought a grilled cheese (which I haven't had in YEARS) would make it perfect (rainy, cold day). So that's what I had. YUMMY!!!!! I had it all over again for dinner (leftovers).

Anyway, today we ate at my grandmothers and what does she make? Broccolli soup & grilled cheese!

It must have been about right b/c I was full, but not stuffed, and now I'm getting really hungry for dinner, and it's not quite 6:00...so just on time!

Thanks for letting me ramble!
Em

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 am

the soup bowl fits on the plate, and there has to be enough room for the sandwich (cut in half, not 16ths) to fit around the bowl.
that's pretty much how do it as well, but like burlsgirl said, if it is just soup than its just a big bowl and if its just a sandwich, its a fairly "significant" sandwich

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:24 pm

I eat a lot of soup. My basic rule is that if it's a really hearty soup, I'll have a bit of good bread, or a biscuit (US-style) with it. If it's a thinner soup, I'll have a sandwich with it.

So, yeah, the classic tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich would be a great meal, or one of my 15 bean soups and a slice of bread.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm just chiming in to agree....a bowl of soup & reasonably sized sandwich fits wonderfully on a plate...and is a great meal. It's soup season at our house & we have some often.

Enjoy!
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...