What do you think about SMALLER plates?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

starflower

What do you think about SMALLER plates?

Post by starflower » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:37 am

What do you think about SMALLER plates? For lots of reasons, I'm experimenting with 8 1/2 inch plates vs. 10" dinner plates starting tomorrow.

This is day 7 of my starting "No S", and I've been using regular dinner plates. I'm not resorting to any "funny stuff" by making my plates heap up to heaven. I am tracking calories though because I've read many posts that say in the beginning weight gain is fairly common place with "No S", and I was also curious about the initial over eating associated with limiting oneself to 3 meals daily. It turns out I'm eating an average of 1904 calories on my "N" days. Including my two "S" days, I average 2189 calories - just a few more calories each day than what I burn. :roll:

The majority seem to say "vanilla" "No S" is the way to go, and let the gradual process of organically shrinking your portions happen over time. For me, this inital tracking is proof positive that I just simply eat too much for my body and time is not going to tell me anything differently. I mean, I wear my husband's sweatpants because I can't fit into ANY of my jeans. I like to see a plate full of food in front of me, so for now I'll continue eating the healthy caloric foods I love, just on a smaller plate. Maybe I can skip the weight gain or initial weight plateau and not have it backfire.

I think it was Bright Angel who had to use smaller plates and also had to eat frequent meals; are there any of you who have tried smaller plates or have some ideas you'd like to share? Thanks.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 am

My experience: I still use the same size plate (not petite), but I have fairly strict vertical limitations, and I fill that same plate with a completely different ratio of food types now. (Formerly, Big Macs & fries, tons of pasta, etc. -- you know how that goes -- plate size is not really the issue).

For me, the major deal about No-S has been that three substantial, satisfying meals per day is the way to go. I am no longer a snacker! The challenge is to find the amount and types of food that carry you from one meal to another so that you are hungry upon arrival, i.e. if I have a hefty oatmeal thing for breakfast, I arrive at lunch ready to eat, but not totally ravenous, and I haven't thought that I needed a "little something" (danger! danger! Will Robbins!) to get me to lunch.

It takes a while to figure out the quantities/proteins/carbs/fibers mix that enables you to do this, but I think it's a pretty interesting process. The key for me was to believe that three meals a day was the way to go, and not give in or give up during the transition period until I found the "right" amount to eat at each meal. For me, that amount is actually quite a bit, so a mini-plate would be counter-productive ... I just made a major change in what I put on that plate.

But that's just me. After three months, I have been able to find a way to manage the three meals deal .. others, of course, may have to eat more frequently for various reasons. Barring medical issues, I would just encourage you to see if you can make three-meals/regular plate filled with good stuff work for you.

And ... I know that counting anything (calories, carbs, points, etc.) is a little controversial, and for good reason. But I still track my WW points, just as a kind of secondary backup. But, interestingly, what I've found is that I can eat many more points than recommended because (a) I'm eating much less processed food, (b) No-S makes me feel so good that I have almost doubled my daily exercise (walking) because I actually want to, and (c) I've gotten out of that trap of thinking that I have to eat every to two hours or I'll die.

Disclaimer: I lost about 60 lbs on WW 5 years ago, and only have another 10 or so to go. So far on No-S (3 months) have lost about 3 lbs, but you know what: if I hadn't lost anything, or even gained a bit, the freedom from food obsession that this way of living offers is worth the world. And I think if you can "get it", you'll eventually arrive at where you should be -- and I don't mean just on the scale.

Oh man, once again, I've gone on and on -- but Starflower, I hope you'll realize that this forum serves multiple purposes: you can get answers or reflections on specific questions, but you can also use it to clarify your own thinking as you respond to posts from others. Keep visiting!

BrightAngel

Re: What do you think about SMALLER plates?

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 am

starflower wrote:I am tracking calories though because I've read many posts
that say in the beginning weight gain is fairly common place with "No S",
and I was also curious about the initial over eating associated with limiting oneself to 3 meals daily.

It turns out I'm eating an average of 1904 calories on my "N" days.
Including my two "S" days, I average 2189 calories -
just a few more calories each day than what I burn. :roll:

The majority seem to say "vanilla" "No S" is the way to go,
and let the gradual process of organically shrinking your portions happen over time.
For me, this inital tracking is proof positive that I just simply eat too much for my body
and time is not going to tell me anything differently.
starflower,
Your point is well taken.

To maintain one's current weight, energy input neets to match energy output.
To lose weight, energy input needs to be less than energy output.
Despite occasional contradictory statements of a few health food gurus,
the established scientific principle is still: Calories in, Calories out.

Each of us burns a different amount of energy (calories),
This is based on our heights, our weights, our sex, and our ages.
A smaller part of this is also based on our activity level.
Due to each of these factors most of our individual metabolisms differ.

I am a short, small, older female.
This past week at a Hospital Facility I took a medical Resting Metabolism Rate (RMR) computerized breathing test.
It showed that my metabolism is NORMAL or AVERAGE for my height, weight, age, and sex:
My "normal" "average" RMR is around 1000 daily calories.
Adding an 1 hr or more, for 7 days a week, of intense low-impact exercise
(plus strength training) can bring me up to a High of 1400 calories.

My calculation of the calories in 3 normal sized dinner plates
of whatever food I might like to eat is around 2000 calories daily.

2000 Plus calories is probably what Reinhard needs to maintain his weight.
and it also may be what some taller, heavier, younger women also need for maintenance.

However, 2000 minus 1400 calories equals a 600 daily calorie excess.
3500 calories = 1 fat lb.
Therefore every six days of eating in that manner
would cause me to have a fat gain of 1 lb.
365 days a year divided by 6 equals 60,
so I could gain around 60 lbs in one year by eating in this manner.
(It would acutally be a bit less
as this simple calculation ignores the slight MR increase
that would occur to weight gain.)

No S uses the 3 plate limitation along with it's other rules
as a substitute for calorie counting.
The intention is that eating in this manner will cause a "natural limitation"
of the food we eat.
Eating less food is good.

However, I frequently caution people who are doing "vanilla" No S,
of this simple Truth.
We are NOT all the same.
We cannot all eat the exact same amounts of food
and expect to maintain our weight or to lose weight.
It simply is not physically possible.
:!:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:05 pm

We have switched to smaller plates a couple of months ago, I don't know what size they are exactly, but to give you an idea, yesterday I made breaded chicken and all I could fit within the inner rim of the plate was the breaded boneless breast and a few stalks of broccoli.
We haven't experienced any increased hunger from our switch, but it can get a bit disconcerting when you try to cook fittingly; I still cook much more than needed to fill just two smaller plates!.
I haven't experienced any noticeable weight loss from the switch but I'm sure I would if this wouln't be the time of the year in which I eat the most and the richest.
But the fact that I haven't gained any weight, despite countless cookies, cakes, pies, Halloween candy and donuts consumed since early november probably can be attibuted to having swithced to smaller plates, I think.

starflower

Post by starflower » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 am

Thank you Winnie for your kind reply.

I particularly like what you said about "No S" being a process. "I just made a major change in what I put on that plate." That's the key I think.
Your experiences are really helpful. Please don't hesitate to share; I'm a "long poster" myself. I too have lost 25 lbs on WW, 30 lbs on "Burn the Fat, Fuel the Muscle", 25 lbs on strictly eating 3x a day and never after 4pm, and I have lost 25 lbs by writing my calories on a board attached to the refrigerator! Each of these diets took me to my goal of 130, but I never maintained for over 6 months once I hit my 30s. Many, many other diets I've simply tried for a few days and decided they weren't right for me.

I hope that after I get more experience with "No S" I won't have to log what I eat into Fitday and have my nutrition and calories calculated for me to avoid gaining more weight. We'll see...I'm pretty open.

When you wrote "The freedom from food obsession that this way of living offers is worth the world. And I think if you can "get it", you'll eventually arrive at where you should be -- and I don't mean just on the scale.", this is my dream. I know how to lose fat, and I hope to learn how to actually maintain a healthy, toned body over the rest of my life. ':D'

Hi BrightAngel,

Thanks for your validation when you estimated a 3 dinner plate day to be around 2000 calories. I'm a tall, small boned, older female who runs to a high body fat composition. I'm also the only one in my family of 4 older siblings and 2 parents that is not obese, diabetic, or pre diabetic. I've exercised and dieted most of my life to keep it that way. Now heading towards 50 and experiencing menopause, I realize I am not an intuitive eater because without structure it seems I "puff" up in a matter of a few weeks.

My very rough estimate is that I'll need to average a bit over 1700 calories daily to maintain my goal weight of 130. What goes on my smaller plates, plus the no snacks, etc., will be my work in progress. It would be nice to chuck record keeping over time....I'll just see how it goes and if that's achievable for me. (The jury's out.) I have learned a LOT from all your posts really. Thanks again.

Hi Mavilu,

Yeah!! Smaller plates are OK. My servings today looked kinda small, but I too had no real hunger (thanks to the cake, etc. on my "S"day). Please let me know how the smaller volume of food works out for you as we journey together.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL.

Happy Cooker

Re: What do you think about SMALLER plates?

Post by Happy Cooker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:19 pm

starflower wrote:"for now I'll continue eating the healthy caloric foods I love, just on a smaller plate."

Everyone's experience is different, but my first few weeks especially I ate whatever I wanted as long as it fit on a plate. That sometimes included fried clams and often potato chips (which I'd been denying myself) or some other greasy, salty thing that no one would call healthy. I would focus on the long term and on building the habit of only eating at regular meal times, whatever those are for you. Three times a day should do it, unless you're diabetic or have another health problem. Enjoy the indulgence of eating the formerly forbidden foods and savor every bite; your taste for them may well diminish in future. I often naturally balanced an unhealthy lunch with a dinner heavy on vegetables because I was craving them.

One helpful visual aid is to hold your hands in front of you, palms up and sides together, cupping them slightly. This is approximately the size of your stomach. That's how I self-define a plateful or bowlful.

Eat slowly and consciously. Put your fork down between bites. Don't read or watch TV while eating. It takes a while (15-20 minutes?) for your brain to register fullness, so making a meal last that long will help you feel full without becoming uncomfortable. I would also stay off the scale completely for at least two months. You'll know by the way your clothes fit if you're actually losing, and it may well take that long to see a change.

You've started a great journey! Stay with it and you'll definitely see results.

Happy Cooker

Previous post

Post by Happy Cooker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 pm

Starflower, I just read your post from today and realize my post is kind of irrelevant to your situation. I personally find calorie counting and keeping any type of food records maddening and counterproductive, so I avoid that completely. For me it's best not to sweat the small stuff and just keep my eyes on the long-term goal.

I've never been one to weigh myself much either, something that was reinforced by my wise stepdaughter. In her early teens she struggled with excess weight and then she slimmed down. When she became pregnant at 20, she knew she would gain weight. The nurses at her prenatal clinic knew her as the one who didn't want to be told what she weighed. She knew the number would make her unhappy and cause her to start spiraling into self-punishing overeating. For her, it was best not to know exactly how much she was gaining. Smart young woman.

But all of us are different, and they say that's what makes the world go round. I notice you're about my age, and so I want to counsel patience above all--it took about 2 months before I noticed any real size difference. The freedom from preoccupation with food started much earlier, though (maybe around the end of week 2), and that's what has made No S so great for me.

starflower

Post by starflower » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 pm

Thank you Happy Cooker for your posts - they were both relevant and helpful!

You wrote: "I would focus on the long term and on building the habit of only eating at regular meal times, whatever those are for you. Three times a day should do it, "and "Enjoy the indulgence of eating the formerly forbidden foods and savor every bite; your taste for them may well diminish in future." Three meals a day - check.

"One helpful visual aid is to hold your hands in front of you, palms up and sides together, cupping them slightly. This is approximately the size of your stomach. That's how I self-define a plateful or bowlful." Fantastic visualization - my hands form the smaller size plate that I'm using and it well really help at Xmas get togethers.

I like your take on being patient and HUGE congratulations on losing 10 pounds and keeping them off. I'd have to say I felt very free this 1st official "S" weekend. Hahaha. I'm very much enjoying No S so far, and this community is unbelievable...I just want to throw a party and invite everyone.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm

I love the newfound noS enthusiasm :)

I switched from 13" plates to 9" plates and I feel a lot better- less food and therefore not so fullll!

It depends, as I do get 13" plates out for certain meals where I don't want the foods touching LOL.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

starflower

Post by starflower » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 pm

LOL!! I don't like my food to touch either! Thanks for sharing shamrock mommy.