Oprah needs No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

HelloKitty

Oprah needs No S

Post by HelloKitty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:39 pm

All over the internet today are reports of Oprah's 40 lb weight gain over the past two years. On the upcoming issue of her magazine, the headline reads: "How did I let this happen again?". She'll be talking about her lifelong struggle with weight.

Here is a quote from her - it's an older quote, but one that appears to still apply: "I've been dieting since 1977. The reason I failed is that diets don't work. I tell people, if you're underweight, go on a diet and you'll gain everything you lost plus more. Now I'm trying to find a way to live in a world with food without being controlled by it, without being a compulsive eater. That's why I say I will never diet again."

Therefore, I say to you Reinhard: GET THEE TO OPRAH. She needs No S. Put aside the millions of books you'd sell if you got on her show -- I'm not even going there (though we'd all be thrilled for you if that happened). I just see her right now as a person...a person who, despite her enormous fame and fortune, is still struggling to find her way.

She needs you. You could help her. And along the way, you could help millions of other people. There's got to be a way you -- or we -- could make this happen. Someone has got to know someone who can get you talking to her. What do you think, guys?

la_loser

Agreed-Oprah needs No S!

Post by la_loser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 pm

OK-so I already pitched this idea to a few people yesterday. I had thought I'd run it by Reinhard before I brought to the whole board. . .but since HelloKitty and I seem to think alike, I'll forge ahead. . .

I totally agree; her comments are so much like many of us have expressed. There is a webpage where one can pitch show ideas. Maybe with Reinhard's blessing, lots of us can send in the the same idea! (It is my understanding that this would not end our anonymity. . . they don't broadcast anything without your permission. )

https://www.oprah.com/ord/plugform.jsp?plugId=216

Whattdya think Rein? Do we have your permission to start a grassroots movement to help the most famous dieter ever?!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:07 pm

I think that poor woman needs to concentrate on her amazing successes and quit focusing on that one absurd failure.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

la_loser

sharing the No S Treasure

Post by la_loser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Good point as well. . . I guess the well-meaning "do-gooder" in me wants to share our No S treasure with the world and all those folks who haven't been lucky enough to stumble onto it themselves!

I certainly wouldn't want this to be a negative thing!

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Noel...that one "absurd failure" is more important than all her sucessess! It's putting her health at risk, and if she isn't healthy, she can't do all the other things she does.

Her health and appearance shouldn't matter any less to her just because she's succeeded in other areas.

LA, sorry for "stealing" your idea but I'm glad you agree with me :D I couldn't help reading some of the stories this morning and immediately thought "No S"!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 pm

HelloKitty wrote:Noel...that one "absurd failure" is more important than all her sucessess! It's putting her health at risk, and if she isn't healthy, she can't do all the other things she does.
If my fat ass is more important than anything else I've done, I might as well slit my throat now. Fortunately, I like myself a lot better than that.

I'm sorry you feel this way about human beings and that if they're fat, their other successes aren't as good, but I can tell you that's not an attitude I can get behind at all.

I wonder if the people who have been helped by Ms. Winfrey's charity projects think that her failure at keeping her weight down is more important than her successes. I doubt it like thunder.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Reinhard -- let us know what you think and if it's ok with you, I'd certainly send a message to the Oprah producers -- No-S is SO GREAT I'd like to see it shared with a larger audience. (And although we're not going there, I'd also like to see your book sell a gazillion copies!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Reinhard should be invited onto Oprah for sure.
He's the smartest, nicest, most wonderful diet guru on the planet!
People all over can benefit from NoS, Oprah included.
Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:36 pm

edit

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Noel, I think you misread me, and missed the essence of what I was trying to say. I admire Oprah's accomplishments. She has done more good in her life than I can ever hope to achieve and that has nothing to do with her weight. But she is just a human being like the rest of us. She wants to be healthy, she wants to feel and look good. It’s not fair to minimize her desire for that just because she’s succeeded in other areas.

Anyway, I never wanted to turn this into a debate. I want to keep it positive, so let's try to do that :D

la_loser

Let there be peace on the boards!

Post by la_loser » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Whoa whoa whoa. . . before this whole conversation gets completely out of hand. . .let's take a breath. No one here has come up with anything that "accuses" Oprah of being less of a person because she has weight issues (like the rest of us.). . . this thread was started because of comments that she herself said recently in an article to be published in her own magazine:
CHICAGO – An embarrassed Oprah Winfrey says she's "fallen off the wagon" of healthy living and has ballooned to 200 pounds. In January's "O" magazine, Winfrey, 54, details her recent struggles with an out-of-balance thyroid and how the condition made her develop "a fear of working out." She says she's gained 40 pounds since 2006, when she weighed 160.

"I look at my thinner self and think, `How did I let this happen again?'" the talk-show queen says in the article provided early to The Associated Press by Harpo Productions.

"I'm embarrassed," she says. "I'm mad at myself."

Winfrey's weight and height put her body mass index at 31.8, which is obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC says people who are obese are at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol.

Winfrey says she's abandoned trying to get thin. She just wants to be strong, healthy and fit. She hopes to get started with her upcoming "Best Life Week," starting Jan. 5 with an episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" during which she is expected to talk candidly about her weight.

Winfrey famously wheeled a wagon loaded with fat onto the set of her talk show in 1988 to represent a 67-pound weight loss while wearing a pair of size 10 Calvin Klein jeans. She had lost the weight with a liquid protein diet.

"When it comes to maintaining my health I didn't just fall off the wagon. I let the wagon fall on me," the chairwoman of Harpo Inc. writes. "I didn't follow my own fundamental rule of taking care of self first."

In 2005, Winfrey said she starved herself for four months to lose weight. Ever since, her weight has yo-yoed. She weighed as much as 237 pounds and by late 1990 acknowledged she had regained most of the 67 pounds, saying "I'll never diet again."

In 1994, she finished the Marine Corps Marathon and by 1996 hired personal trainer Bob Greene, saying her roller-coaster weight saga was over.

But now, Winfrey finds herself tipping the scales again, telling AP Television last week that she has yet to choose a gown for President-elect Barack Obama's inaugural ball next month.

"I had a dress on the vision board, but I'm not sure that's gonna fit," Winfrey said. "So I have to work on something else."
What she said hit a nerve with me because I know I've been exactly there (without the celebrity and bucks) and despite all the fixes, diets, etc. she's tried, she hasn't found something that is sustainable to keep her at a healthy level. I can't find the link right now but the story I read yesterday actually referred to how she was trying to figure out how to solve her weight issues. . . again. . . in a way that would be long-lasting.

For me. . . I have friends who also struggle with their weight and eating habits-I would not take them aside and say, "oh, look what I'm doing, you should do it too." However if one asks me how I'm doing it or if I have any ideas" then I'm happy to share with the disclaimer that this is effective for me; you can check it out for yourself.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that someone's worth is less . . . so before everyone gets emotional about this--know we are just pondering ways of sharing our good news/system with the world.

And thanks to those of you who also are willing to share our No S guru!

BuckeyePink

Post by BuckeyePink » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:55 pm

Hello Kitty & others,

I was thinking the same way. Imagine...she could have the finest dining on just three plates a day! 8)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm

I'd love to be on Oprah (in an abstract, philosophical sense -- I'm sure I'd be utterly terrified if it actually came down to it). So by all means, suggest away!

But I have to warn you, Oprah is the holy grail of self-help, and from what I've read, it's next to impossible to deliberately attract her attention. Still, as long as we don't get our hopes up to much, it can't hurt to try. I certain appreciate the gesture of support, even if that's all it winds up being!

Reinhard

burlsgirl

Post by burlsgirl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:46 pm

I submitted part of my "rambling thoughts post" that I wrote a few weeks ago to the oprah link posted above.

I don't prefer Oprah personally, but when I read the article in our paper yesterday, I immediately had the same thought many of you did.

She needs No-S

Though I'm sure Mr. Bob Greene would be all too ready to dispute it...

Em

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:40 am

I enjoyed reading through some of your blog. Isn't it nice that the most important thing in your day isn't the number of calories you consumed?
Kathleen

burlsgirl

Post by burlsgirl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:29 am

Kathleen, I'm glad you enjoyed the blog.

Yes, this freedom from food obsession is by far the most praise-worthy aspect of No-s!

Blessings,
Em

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Emily --

Thank you so much for the kind (and eloquent!) words on your blog!

You should add a link to it on our blogs thread:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3839

I can't believe I'm reading "Extra" online now but it was the first thing I came up when I googled:

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2008/12/o ... _wagon.php
She is really trying to find 60 minutes of cardio at least 5 days a week. That's been the challenge, but when she does that she's successful.
With all due respect to Mr. Green, that sounds utterly unsustainable.

Reinhard

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:16 pm

With all due respect to Mr. Green, that sounds utterly unsustainable

I agree! it sounds like torture! AND insanely counter productive! Hasn't he heard? short intense cardio and weights would require much less time and be more effective ... plus ... I can speak to this ... it naturally "Tames" the appetite :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

resident0063

Oprah

Post by resident0063 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:28 pm

I think No S could be a good system for Oprah. The real tale here is that Oprah is really the first celebrity to PUBLICLY demonstrate the failure of American obsession with diets. Others such as Kristie Alley have been linked to one plan. Oprah, however, has gone through the gamut of diet plans from low carb (Carbohydrate Addicts Program, Optifast) to no fat and from no exercise to intense marathon training. The results have often been good, but unsustainable. She has the best experts, great trainers, and great chefs at her beck and call. She still cannot do it. I think that is a lesson to all of us who struggle with our weight. Someone has all the advantages supposedly necessary for weight loss and they are known for being disciplined and hardworking. Yet, they still cannot do it. Is it right for those of us who struggle with our weight to beat ourselves up? The problem is that both her diet and exercise are unsustainable. I think all of these diet programs, while they might be based on good science, are too much for anyone to handle. If I was her, I would take a hiatus from the show for a few months. I would travel to a place where the society is naturally slim and just live as they do for a few months. Impossible for a celebrity to do, but I think the best thing. I always hear how people visit Europe or Asia and say they lost weight on the trip. I think the value of No S is to mimic the eating patterns of these societies.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:45 pm

I always hear how people visit Europe or Asia and say they lost weight on the trip.
Unfortunately a lot of these people also gain weight when they come back, although I am sure not all do. The shortcoming with this approach is continuing to rely on external cues for eating, i.e. the different cultures that have not yet adopted our S.A.D. ... the beauty of NO S is that it allows you to develop and strengthen your own personal, carry it with you WHEREVER you go (next door, across country, other continents :D ) INTERNAL cues .... we call HABIT for eating.

This to me is what differeniates the NO S Diet from all other approaches, once you "get the HABIT" it is portable and sustainable wherever you go.
The results have often been good, but unsustainable. She has the best experts, great trainers, and great chefs at her beck and call. She still cannot do it. I think that is a lesson to all of us who struggle with our weight. Someone has all the advantages supposedly necessary for weight loss and they are known for being disciplined and hardworking.
Resdient0063 you make an excellent point here. I wish it would make it in too the "national consciousness" once and for all that DIETS DON'T WORK!

great post!
Blueskighs

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Blue you and I agree. My point was that other cultures actually practice No S. I agree that many people gain when visiting other countries. Often that is because they make their vacation a gigantic tasting tour. I visited Europe a few years ago. I did jog when there but I normally did at that time and I lost about 10 pounds in 16 days. We ate three times a day, minimal snacks, and I did not drink soda (too expensive there, wine was cheaper which led to too much in that department). I lost weight. That is what appeals to me about NoS. It is what is normal. My point was that other cultures practice NoS. I am glad that Oprah is hopefully kicking diets out the window. I do think she needs a good amount of exercise. I think her version of exercise is miserable. She has written how she hates it. Stephen King actually wrote a story called Stationary about a guy who goes insane riding his exercise bike. I think it would be better if she adapted a habit of walking, or any other exercise she enjoyed, leaving out Bob Greenes fist pumping.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:58 am

Resdient0062,

I lost weight in Paris, but gained it in Nice :D In Italy I just maintained!

I didn't know Stephen King had written such a story! That is hysterical, it makes me think of the neighbor who gets up every morning, 1/2 opens his garage and gets on his treadmill that faces the wall ... :shock:

have a great weekend,

Blueskighs

storm fox

oh

Post by storm fox » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Blue, that sounds aweful.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:12 pm

Okay...so who is going to send her the book? She's a reader....we can't just let this go by. I don't watch her show, but it seems as if she's asking for help...

Anyone have any ideas on how to get her attention?

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

la_loser

NOprah S Diet

Post by la_loser » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Precisely my thought. . . Many years ago I directed a show called "Crying Out" which dealt with teen angst and issues. Her comments, which I posted earlier in this thread, just screamed to me that she is "crying out."

I had posted this website in my earlier post. . . seems like one good way to get her attention.
There is a webpage where one can pitch show ideas. Maybe with Reinhard's blessing, lots of us can send in the the same idea! (It is my understanding that this would not end our anonymity. . . they don't broadcast anything without your permission. )

Or Oprah's email: https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220

And after some digging, I found a snail mail address for Harpo Studios-hope it is accurate there is no snail mail address listed on her website but my research came up with this one:
Harpo Studios
1058 W. Washington Blvd.
Chicago, Il 60607
312-591-9222
I will be happy to buy the book and send it--I hope that some of the people who have found significant success with this, including some relative new-comers as well as some "veteran" No Sers will join in this mission.

My thought on this is that although it would be great to share our "hidden treasure" with the world, but honestly, my original intent was to give Oprah a lifeline like we have been given. For those of us who do watch her show, she comes off as such a real and caring person and someone you could sit down and have coffee with; therefore when I read about her frustration, I identify with it so much. I just want to say, "oh, honey, let me tell you about this great lifestyle I've found-and you can do it too."

I do think we should be careful however not to be deliberately negative about other things she's tried or the people who have tried to help her in the past. We've all been there too, and now that we're over that we can make those references about ourselves, but squaring off AGAINST her allies and supporters would probably be a defeating exercise. (You know, brothers and sisters can squabble, but let someone attack one of them and all of a sudden they are unified!)

The fact is, if we are successful, all of those people, including the lady herself, will be reading all our posts! The message about S.A.D. diets and inordinate fitness regimens is all throughout our boards anyway.

I've ordered several more of the books so I can send one of those, unless someone else has already done so. . . or maybe more than one might get their attention! If there were enough for her AND some of her staff to check it out, that would be even more effective!

Yea the NOprah S Diet!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 pm

L.A. Loser...

I think you'd be a perfect person to send her a copy! I'm in this for the long-haul, but I haven't been around long enough to completely convince anyone that this is a permanent solution to dieting. I'm never going back to dieting, but again, I'm too new to be as credible as others.

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

BrightAngel

Re: NOprah S Diet

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:43 pm

LA_Loser wrote:Precisely my thought. . . Many years ago I directed a show called "Crying Out" which dealt with teen angst and issues. Her comments, which I posted earlier in this thread, just screamed to me that she is "crying out."

I had posted this website in my earlier post. . . seems like one good way to get her attention.
There is a webpage where one can pitch show ideas. Maybe with Reinhard's blessing, lots of us can send in the the same idea! (It is my understanding that this would not end our anonymity. . . they don't broadcast anything without your permission. )

Or Oprah's email: https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220

And after some digging, I found a snail mail address for Harpo Studios-hope it is accurate there is no snail mail address listed on her website but my research came up with this one:
Harpo Studios
1058 W. Washington Blvd.
Chicago, Il 60607
312-591-9222
I will be happy to buy the book and send it--I hope that some of the people who have found significant success with this, including some relative new-comers as well as some "veteran" No Sers will join in this mission.

Yea the NOprah S Diet!
LALoser
Sounds like a great idea. :idea:
I think Reinhard would be an interesting guest,
and "The No S Diet" along with "Shovelgloving" could be a fun and informative show.
I followed your links and made a pitch. :)
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 pm

Not sure but that link should be in a thread of it's own, in case it isn't already..

I'll definitely email them :wink:
8) Debs

la_loser

No S Book going in the mail to Chicago!

Post by la_loser » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 pm

My box of No S Books has arrived from Amazon so I can now send Oprah her copy! I decided to buy a bunch of copies again so I'll have them handy when someone exhibits some interest!

I'm adding a new discussion too--that deals with how my medical folks have literally written No S Diet on my nutrition plan for handling diabetes. Woo Hoo!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:28 pm

(make sure to send her a copy of Woman's World ;)

http://coverawards.com/tag/stephanie-saible/page/2/
What Navin said.

la_loser

Wow--welcome back!

Post by la_loser » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Awesome to see you here again. . . you're such the celebrity that all of us newcomers haven't gotten to know! (For those of you who don't know--Blondie is the beautiful gal on the cover of the Women's World issue - April 14, 2008) that featured No S.) You've probably been lurking around but we didn't know it!

It had already occurred to me that you would be a prime suspect/source of info for this little project.

Keep us posted on how it's going!

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:57 am

Nah, I actually just logged in for a tune up just today! Sorry to be MIA :)
What Navin said.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:11 am

Also, thanks LA. You're sweet :oops:
What Navin said.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:09 pm

It's so great to see you here again, Blondie!

My "no stalking bulletin board members who go silent" policy was sorely tried in your absence :-)

I've posted the cover and article here:

http://nosdiet.com/press/womans_world_cover.pdf

http://nosdiet.com/press/womans_world_inside.pdf

Newbies can read the thrilling backstory here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2660

Hope your knees are doing better!

Reinhard

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:47 am

My "no stalking bulletin board members who go silent" policy was sorely tried in your absence
Haha, sorry, you could have emailed me! Just been busy--new job, etc. No knee improvement, unfortunately, though.

My mom insists on keeping the mag on her coffee table, and I cover it up every time I'm there. So funny.
What Navin said.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:28 pm

My mom insists on keeping the mag on her coffee table, and I cover it up every time I'm there. So funny.
The mag is pretty prominently placed in our home as well. :-)

Sorry about the knee... shovelglove, maybe?

P.S. thank you all for your Oprah efforts! "Her people" haven't contacted "my people" yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.:-)

Reinhard

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 am

I followed the link and sent my submission to add to the call for Reinhard to be on Oprah.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)