is it emotional eating?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KateMac

is it emotional eating?

Post by KateMac » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:54 pm

I keep finding myself wandering into the kitchen and browsing. It's like being in a bookstore. Sometimes, I've eaten something without actually thinking about it. Yesterday was my first successful day of No S. It's late afternoon now and I might make it through a second day. But I'm wired and cranky and awfully distracted.

How do you all distract yourself from the desire to eat and the habit of just eating?

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:54 am

KateMac,

I pull myself away and "force" myself to focus on something I "need" to do or something I "want" to do ... other than eating that is :D depending on the time of day ... if I should be working than I need to be working and I re-focus myself on that until I am absorbed ... then mysteriously the urge to eat feeds, if I need to be doing something other than work ... errands, tasks, household chores, I conciously refocus on that, again .. within a relatively short amount of time 10 to 20 minutes I will be absorbed and mysteriously "forget" about eating, if I am in leisure time, I find something else I want to do besides eating and once again "refocus" until I am absorbed and that urge to eat has mysteriously faded,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:26 pm

My most difficult moments are between 3:00 and 5:00 and I still find myself opening the cupboards or looking into the pantry and wondering if I need some food.

One thing that helps me is knowing that if I snack I have to declare it a red day. Most of the time I realize quickly that it's not worth blowing a perfectly good gren day by eating a snack I really don't need. Charting my progress on HabitCal has been a huge help to me.

I also agree with what Blueskighs wrote....sometimes I just have to get busy doing something else. There are plenty of things on my daily to-do list, but I often have to force myself away from the kitchen (I'm a stay-home homeschooling mom), and back to a different room in the house. I say outloud, "Back away from the food...back away from the snacks." It's silly, but I works for me. It's as if I'm so conditioned to eat whenever & whatever I want, that I have to recondition myself to keep busy elsewhere.

Hang in there KateMac. You can do this...you really can!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...