Diets Don't Work

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

resident0063

Diets Don't Work

Post by resident0063 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:01 am

In fact you are worse off if you even try one.....eat in moderation, exercise...try to be happy with the body you have....nothing new here, but this is one of the best studies to demonstrate as such...

http://www.physorg.com/news94906931.html

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:25 am

That is a great article and I can say "anecdotally" :wink: that traditional dieting has not worked for me. I could have been one of those people in the studies!

I also read in one book ... The Seven Secrets of Thin People ... years ago that just one diet can cause an eating disorder in someone ... kind of crazy, you wonder why people recommend that other people go on diets.

It is weird I think I am becoming like an "ex-smoker" (which I am one of those too - 22 years) when I think about the "diets" I used to go on, whether it was "the Zone" or "high protien" or "high carb" or "low fat" or "low calorie" or whatever ... I look back now and it was like ... I couldn't even do that now ... it seems so foreign to me and that used to be such a big part of my life not so long ago .... hmmmmmm... oh those ex-smokers :D

I guess its just a rite of passage,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:36 pm

I loved this article. I have often said I "dieted" my way to my weight. One thing I can say about NoS is that, although I have struggled with it some, I have not lost a bunch and then gained back even more. I don't think it is messing up my metabolism or my mind. That in itself is a blessing.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:12 pm

I think this part was particularly relevant:
If dieting doesn't work, what does?

"Eating in moderation is a good idea for everybody, and so is regular exercise," ...

Diet studies of less than two years are too short to show whether dieters have regained the weight they lost, Mann said.

"Even when you follow dieters four years, they're still regaining weight," she said.
Don't be deceived by the word "diet" in no-s. Yes, it's a bunch of rules about how to eat, but it's fundamentally different than the systems they're describing in this article. It's not something to be contrasted with "moderation," far from it: it's a system for encouraging moderation, for building sustainable good habits of moderation. It's a way of giving moderation teeth, of making it precise.

Reinhard