scared!!!!!!!!!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

dressagegirl

scared!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dressagegirl » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:53 am

:?:
Hi
I was so relieved to read about your "diet". I just finished reading the "Leptin Diet" and was very discouraged to see the list of things I was going to have to do the rest of my life! I already felt defeated. I always eat eggs/toast for breakfast (7:30), but always get weak, irritable around 9:00 if I do not have a protein snack. I eat lunch around 12:00 and by 4:00 I feel like I am in a brain fog...nothing functions and I am in a SLUMP! I am not necessarily hungry, but my mood/energy level sure changes. I have 3 preschoolers at home that I must take care of (with patience!) and I am scared what this is going to do to my ability to care for them without passing out in the floor. I feel awful if I do not have something to eat. A piece of fruit makes me feel worse during these times. Is there any help for me. I am not a diabetic, but feel some of the symptoms.

By the way, does being pregnant mess up your metabolisim and eating habits for life??

Thanks for any advice.

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:05 am

Hi,

I'm wondering what you do for exercise. Speaking for myself, my exercise has a far more drastic effect on my energy levels throughout the day than my diet. Of course diet does have an effect, but not nearly the effect exercise does.

Though for me, the largest dietary effect on my energy comes when I overload on carbs.... I just feel bleah when I do that.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

dressagegirl

Post by dressagegirl » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:14 am

I exercise about 4-5 days a week. I train a 3 horses, walk/run 2xweek and do the "Firm" tapes (strength training/aerobics 3x week)

No matter how much protein/lower carb I try to eat at lunch, at 4:00 I come crashing down. I can almost set my clock by it. Any advice is appreciated

Inge

Post by Inge » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:53 am

I have the same problem, and have (unfortunately) no solution to offer, except to say that having preschoolers at home is an exceptional situation that you may have to just grit your teeth and get through. By that I mean, try to stick to the NOS rules and know that in four years, your problem will be gone. The little darlings will be in school at that point.

I have one preschooler still at home, 3 in school, and boy, it's been a challenge. Stressful and monotonous, at the same time! 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. -- no wonder our parents invented "happy hour" !!!!

Try to stick with the NOS rules -- you may surprise yourself, as I did.

Sympathetically,
Inge

dressagegirl

Post by dressagegirl » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:44 am

:(
Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps to know that someone else is "battling" it with you.

I did not eat after 6:30 last night and went to bed a little hungry around 11:00. I tossed and turned and did not feel good at all. About 2:00 I had such a headache, felt slightly lightheaded and a little queasy. I had to get toast on my stomach so the rest of my nights sleep would not be bothered. Has anyone had this problem?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:37 am

Be patient with yourself and with your body. Do the best you can and give your system a chance to adjust. When 4 pm comes and you MUST have a snack, go find something to do for a few minutes, telling your tummy that a snack is coming, just wait 5 or 10 minutes. Then if you still need to eat a little something, go ahead and do it. But do this the next day, too, until it isn't so hard to wait. Then try cutting back on the amount you eat for snack. Active distractions (not tv!) are a big help!

If it takes you 3 months or 6 months to get into this completely, well, who cares? It took you 9 months to make each of your precious preschoolers! Good things come to those who wait.

Kevin

hypoglycemic

Post by Kevin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:15 pm

Have you talked to your doctor about this? These episodes sound a lot like hypoglycemia. The odd thing about low blood glucose is that if you eat carbohydrate to correct it, you feel worse for about 15 minutes. The rapid rise in blood glucose makes you feel shaky and weak, just as if your blood glucose was dropping.

If you have episodes of hypoglycemia, you should be very careful how you eat. It's nothing to fool with. You need to eat a balanced diet, and you might need to eat more often than three times a day. That doesn't mean you can apply the No-S rules, you'll just have to adapt them.

Good luck.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

dressagegirl

Post by dressagegirl » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:39 pm

Thanks for all of your advice. It is also good to hear "give your body time to adjust". All of the books make it seem like the "new diet" should take place 100% the minute you decide to change your eating patterns. Having a 1-3 month goal is not so intimidating and defeating. Has anyone else tried the "gentle" approach?