Found No S Dec 23

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

linda45

Found No S Dec 23

Post by linda45 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm new. I found No S on Dec 23 & have been officially following the principles since then. Unofficially I have been doing something similar of my own making since Dec 17. So that's where I track my habitcal from. I'll soon be at the 21 day milestone.

My own plan was much 'harsher'; definitely a diet. I am amazed at how freeing this simple plan is. I'm also having my meals as much as possible according to hunger/satisfaction guidelines.

The biggest change has been freedom from fear, guilt & obsession about POINTS ( WW).

Next week I want to introduce a couple of new habits. Mainly, Urban Ranger although at -27 in our part of the world it will have to be indoor walking and getting enough water.[/b]
Linda F.
Calgary AB

TexArk

welcome

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:33 am

Welcome Linda
I am also new as I have just finished my first week. And yes, it is so freeing not to count pts, grams, calories, weigh food, journal, etc. etc. I am committed to checking in every day until I feel confident about habit change. I love the habitcal. I'm not sure what I think about spending that much time talking about all this, but I think I will need to stick around to stay accountable and hopefully to encourage others who have found this place. It bothers me to read some posts where people are using this to make another "diet" work. I want so much to say I have tried and lost on many of them and gained back plus more. I am up about 20 lbs. from my last 50 lb. WW loss. I kept it off for 4 years but it was a total fixation--weighing myself, my food, monitoring myself, etc. When I quit "counting" I had no boundaries. I tried Intuitive Eating type plans but I needed some scaffolding to get me there.

What we haven't learned to do is live and have a normal relationship with food. I think the habit formation philosophy is spot on. I am here to learn and hope you will be around to share the journey.

linda45

Post by linda45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks so much to your response to my email. I, too, love IE concepts but need more scaffolding as you said. NO S gives me that simple structure. Experimenting with IE and portions over the last years I have a good sense of how much food it takes to satisfy. I do sometimes eat more then the 3 times per day that NO S suggests . I find I need something about 3pm. I almost am never hungry in the evening. This habit approach coupled with IE is the one thing that makes sense to me & gets me off the diet mentaility.

I do have lost and gained with WW many times. I'm just not prepared to do another year or day of guilt or diet obsession.

From your user name I'm guessing you live in Texas.

It will be wonderful to have the personal support of somone with the same views.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Linda

Calgary AB

winnie96

Re: welcome

Post by winnie96 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:34 pm

TexArk wrote:I tried Intuitive Eating type plans but I needed some scaffolding to get me there.
"Scaffolding" -- what a great way to describe what we need!

I've been No-S-ing for about 4 months, and have found that same freedom that you guys seem to be experiencing. But it's by no means the free-for-all that my stab at Intuitive Eating was.

I hadn't thought in terms of the scaffolding requirement, or about how No-S is providing me with exactly the right scaffolding "configuration" -- and I love that scaffolding begins with "s".

From now on I'll be thinking of my No-S Scaffold (not too keen on the D-word)! Thanks for a great tag line, and best wishes for the New Year.

linda45

Post by linda45 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I Love It ! No S Scaffold. I hate that Diet word. My committment to myself is to never diet again. The January diet madness can drive me crazy.

I'm so thankful to Reinhard; No S & the IE approach. Normal Eating: that's the gift we've been given.

What an exciting year; exciting lifetime is ahead. These last 18 days of freedom have been amazing.
Linda F.
Calgary AB

TexArk

about scaffolding

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 pm

I have noticed that we all use terms from our field of training. Reinhard uses computer jargon. Scaffolding is an education term. When we (teachers) teach a new concept we have to help the student out with the scaffolding instead of overloading them all at once.

I love this idea of habit--I really think this is all about a wonderful maintenance plan that frees our minds from monitoring food all the time.

And I am glad to see that I was not the only one who could not handle the intuitive eating, normal eating, hunger/fullness "nondiets" without some boundaries. I start back to work tomorrow and I will have to see how the 3:00 hunger attack affects me. My problem is that I find it difficult to eat a good hearty meal at lunch during the workweek. I am going to try, but if it doesn't work, I am going to add a fourth mini-meal (not a snack) high in protein (maybe beans and rice) to get me to 7:00. And if that is the case, I will do it every day so that it is a habit and not a question I have to ask myself. (Am I hungry? I hate that!)

By the way, my tag means I am a native Texan living in Arkansas.

la_loser

Getting thru the school day!

Post by la_loser » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Ah, maybe my name should be TexKan then!

I'm glad you pointed out the jargon trends. The minute I saw the word "scaffold" I thought: "yep, definitely an educator!" Me too.

I've been doing No S for a few months, so I've gotten pretty good at figuring out how to make it through those long days. Having a real breakfast helps with plenty of protein. It's particularly important to remember, especially early on, that milk and/or juices are definitely allowed and not considered a snack; thirst often masquerades as hunger so sometimes staying hydrated will get you by. And don't skimp on lunch either. Those of us who have been on umpteen SAD diets (Substance Accounting Diets) and I can tell you, that our old habits/ tendencies about what was ok on those horrid restrictive plans are really one of the hardest things to kick. These old mindsets-argh!

I added a thread months ago about something called H2Orange--here is the link to it. I make a gallon a week, even in the winter time.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#43612

Also, Reinhard has pointed out before that No S doesn't really state an exact number of meals:
I love the No S Diet, but my doctor says I need to eat 4/5/6 meals a day because of my medical condition!

The No S Diet has a little known loophole just for you. If you look closely at the site, you'll notice that nowhere does it specify the actual *number* of meals. Now most people will make a certain assumption, and most people had better stick with that assumption. But if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat more often, you can still do so and be a proud No S dieter. Just make sure to figure out what number of meals is right for you, stick with it (no changing the magic number every day), and invest in some really small plates. And talk to your doctor, of course. As for the rest of you, pretend you never read this. It's for people with doctor's notes only.
I recall seeing a reply from Reinhard to someone not long ago regarding the idea that adding a small "meal" that is planned is OK, particularly if it means you can stay on habit.

Welcome and good luck!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Thanks for the tip:
First I am going to try for a couple of weeks to develop the habit of waiting and see if I can adjust. The 3:00 thing may just be that afterschool snack habit that needs to be broken. If not, I will go for the milk at 3:00. Thanks for the reminder.

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 pm

On heavy gym days I do a a small meal before and after. I could probably virtually plate it as one breakfast, but I just thing pre-workout and post-workout. And, some days I'm not hungry after working out and handle it till lunch. But I give myself the option without calling it a failure.

It is freeing, I've made several attempts at No-S, but it was like I had to show myself why everything else doesn't work before I could accept the simplicity of this system. In all honesty I caught myself adding up points on my breakfast today. Old habits die hard, I hope the new ones are as long-lasting. I would love to eat an egg sandwich and not be pointing in my head.
All in due-time I suppose.