Exercise????

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TingTing

Exercise????

Post by TingTing » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 pm

The holidays have totally thrown me off, including the death of a relative, and I couldn't control my eating to save my life!

This Monday is the day that I've made a conscientious effort to do "No S". I have not been successful, especially with the snacking, but I am more aware of what I put in my mouth now and even though I did snack, I feel that I've been snacking less. I still do not have the courage to put myself on Habitcal, but I'm sure I'll do so soon.

My question is about exercise. I actually tried to exercises in my apartment Monday night. I was doing Leslie Sansone's walking exercise tape. I thought I was being careful. I "powerwalked" with no sneakers on and I turned the volume down low. The neighbors next door got really annoyed at me and starting banging the wall. At one point, they actually rang my doorbell twice and ran off, the little cowards that they are that they couldn't face me. I came to realize that the over 100 years old building that I'm living in probably has thin walls and my exercising was probably giving the other apartment vibrations. I do not wish to battle my neighbors so I've given up on the idea of exercising at home.

Besides going for long walks outside, can anyone give me some good ideas and advice on exercising? I don't have the money to join a gym and I've never liked exercising in a gym anyway. I'm trying to find something that works for me.

Any good suggestions out there??? I'd really be very grateful if someone can give me some ideas.

Thanks all!!!! :)

stacers

Hi!

Post by stacers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi Ting Ting,

I don't know what kind of exercise you like to do, but I stumbled upon something about six months ago that I had never heard of, but was getting awesome reviews about how quickly you can tone your body compared to weight training with regular weights. It's called "kettlebell" training. You can actually get these at Target, along with the Dvd by Sarah Lurie (Go Fit) who is a reknowned expert in the U.S. Her volume one is great for beginners, and it might seem impossible for the first week or two, but it feels great because you "know" you are getting a great workout. Start with a low weight (about 8 pounds) and gradually work up to more as you get stronger. They have a website too (Go Fit) if you want to read up on it, but it is terrific for people who want to get a good workout at home, but don't want to take up their whole house with equipment either! And it's relatively inexpensive compared to most equipment. Hope this is helpful...I know I enjoy it very much, and that's what 's most important in keeping up in an exercise routine! Best wishes!
Stacey Van Wormer

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:29 pm

I would approach the neighbors. I mean, even if it is a little loud, I bet if you approached them politely and explained that you will be exercising 30 minutes (or however long it is) a day between such and such a time, they would be reasonable about it. Maybe even finding a suitable time, maybe when they are not typically home would be possible. But if they're just the type of people who are going to be like that (they're everywhere in my experience), the kettlebell idea sounds reasonable, or Shovelglove which is quite similar.
5'8" Male

SW: 225 9/4/08
CW: 170 4/21/09
Goal 1: 195 (BMI 29 ie not obese) - ACHIEVED
Goal 2: 160 (BMI 24 ie not overweight)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Sorry about the difficult neighbors...

Shovelglove is pretty silent (as long as you don't hit anything!)

Plus if they don't run away fast enough next time they ring the bell you'll make quite an impression :-)

I'd focus on the time more than anything else. "14 minutes every N-day" or something similarly precise but moderate. Then experiment until you find something worth making regular. Putting in the regular time is the hard part, the precise movements are a detail. If you can't think of anything else, pushups and squats are quite a workout (and not very loud). If the sledge isn't your style, shadow boxing with very light dumbells is also fun, quiet, and provides a great range of motion (I occasionally do this on "freestyle fridays"). In any case, I wouldn't delay starting just because you haven't found the ideal routine yet.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:03 pm

You know, you might try the tape again -- with shoes ON. I used to live in an apartment and I could tell when my upstairs neighbor was going barefoot and when she wasn't. When she was barefoot, it was much noisier! When she was in shoes, the soles cushioned the sound. I started paying attention to my own walking then, and without shoes was much noisier than with shoes.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:31 pm

http://fitness-solution.blogspot.com/20 ... cises.html

This workout is pretty silent and ideal for performing indoors. You may have to substitute or eliminate the final exercise for the sake of noise/vibration.

Simply performing high rep sets of the Sun Salute can be a great workout combining flexibility, cardio-endurance, and muscular tension.

Joel

heather42

Post by heather42 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41 am

HI,
I just started exercising with the watp dvd's of Leslie's in December. I love them, as it is such a fun, easy workout, but yet quite effective at toning and losing weight.
What about trying a thin exercise mat under your feet when you walk?
I would think that would asorb the noise, and yet still allow you the ability to perform the exercise. Let us know what you decide.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 pm

If you enjoyed WATP, I would talk to your neighbors first. 1) because then they HAVE to face you and come to a compromise and 2) because if you talk to them about this they are more likely to be accomodating on a whole host of other issues. Also, shovelglove is nice a quiet, so is kettlebell and a whole host of other strength routines. Other cardio would involve buying some sort of equipment, but now is a great time to check out garage sales and craigslist because people tend to buy new equipment for their new years resolutions and sell their old stuff pretty cheap.
Heather

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 pm

You say in your post "besides going for long walks outside", but why? Long walks outside are quiet for your neighbours, free, and give you fresh air and Vitamin D. I like to listen to audiobooks while I walk, or music, to liven it up. I find walking in silence to be a little boring.

storm fox

ah

Post by storm fox » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:41 pm

I would continue the walks, for all the reasons everyone has listed. Kettlebells absolutely get my vote. Kettlebells can be done outside handily. You can even leave them in your car (seatbelted in-and don't think I'm joking. Free-range kettelbells in your car can cause problems!). There is also bodyweight training. Pushups, squats, pullups (or working up to them), and, if you're a little sick, burpees. Still, for my money, nothing beats a high density kettlebell workout. Density, if you're unfamiliar, refers to the number of reps over a certain amount of time. My favorite density training article is here (work/family safe):
http://ironsports.tv/it_all.htm