Oh, Boy. I need some "tweak" help

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:12 pm

OK, long story short:
I've been fighting a rotator cuff issue for 6 months. I finally had surgery to correct it in November. During all of this, I haven't been able to exercise because of the pain, and I've gained a significant amount of weight.
I have new insurance now, and they require me to lose about 40 lbs. in order to qualify for a discounted premium. They'll give me the discount before then, as long as I'm meeting with a "wellness coach".
I told the wellness coach about NoS, and she said that as long as I'm losing 1-2lbs. per week, she'll "allow" it. Otherwise, she'll require me to follow a typical low fat, write it all down, disgusting DIET.

I need some help tweaking things to see success. I don't want to get sucked into a DIET again, but honestly, even my best weight loss on NoS has been 1/2 lb. per week, not 1-2 lbs.

Any recommendations?
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Can you exercise now? Walking?

I would follow No-S, but up the exercise as possible. I might also look at food choices - not at counting level, but you KNOW that the cheese-dripping broccoli is not as low-cal as the plain, etc..

My mod when I'm attending to health is plate divisions - 1/2 fruit/veg, 1/4 lean protien, 1/4 complex carbs.

Good luck!

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Sorry, KCCC. More Details: I've started a light lifting program, now that physical therapy is done, and I walk an hour every day, 6 days per week.

Things I've considered are: Eliminating white flour, mixing in some jogging with the walking and temporarily suspending S-days (which sux, since my birthday is next Wednesday).

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Well, you're ahead of me on the walking (good for you, btw!). Mixing in jogging sounds like good a idea...

I think I wouldn't skip the birthday S-day. Maybe have an "S-event" instead of a full day. :)

How are your S-days? Mine are still pretty idiotic (but I'm maintaining at a reasonable weight, so I haven't worked on them as much as I might have). Is there room there for improvement WITHOUT making you crazy and derailing you?

Again, good luck! I think your counselor has set the bar pretty high.

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Agreed, the bar is high.

To make it worse, it's all based on BMI. I haven't met my BMI numbers since I was 15 (I'm 38 next week).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Well, if those are the parameters you've got to work with, here are a few ideas:

1. Suspending all s days seems excessive, but maybe you could go down to a single s-day a week. Plus maybe a single "special" day a month. Once you get the wellness coach off your case you can go back to normal (unless you find you like it this way).

2. 14 minutes of some kind of exercise every N-day. Jog, shovelglove, pushups, whatever. Don't be overambitious. Consistency is the important thing. Use the habitcal to help keep the focus on this.

3. Instead of eliminating white flour, consider adding some good intelligent dietary defaults to displace the bad stuff without feeling resentful.

Start with the lowest hanging fruit, the obvious excesses.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 pm

I would suggest eating more of the less calorie-dense foods -- so, more vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains. Except on your birthday!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm

One would think that a "wellness coach" would realize that ½ to 2 pound loss a week is considered good weight loss. Even on a strict diet and exercise regime I'm lucky if I get close to 1 pound one week let alone on average.

I agree that 1 S day a week is good. Any more and you won't stick to it. Up to the jog/walk too in addition to the strength training. And the plate division is awesome. I've been doing that for awhile. At least until I was told I have to up my protein for baby.
Heather

Mimi1970

Post by Mimi1970 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello! I strongly recommend having an "S" day twice a month, and not going completely off the path on those "S" days, but just savoring a really great treat. Believe me, I know the difficulty of keeping weight down when you've got a medical reason. I have MS, and my fatigue keeps me from doing a lot the things that I used to do, like running. However, a little activity is always better than none, so take it easy.

In the words of Red Green, "I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together". :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:26 pm

OMG, what do you think is the long term result of losing 2 pounds in a week? I'd accept the higher premiums for this year and maybe a few more years in exchange for long term health. Diets don't work. She's not a wellness coach. She's a torture coach, and she's got all the credentials to tell you that you lack willpower. It's not true!
Kathleen

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 am

I would keep my S days if I were you but have only one S per day - and make it worthy of an S day.

I have also been trying the plating plan and it makes a difference. Make a concious effort to have less protein and carb and up the veggies. Go all out to choose the healthiest versions of your usual meals.

Good Luck and hang in there.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Kathleen wrote:I'd accept the higher premiums for this year
If you are in a position to do this, I'm inclined to agree with Kathleen. The prospect of a future cut in premiums would be an incentive to lose weight, without the intense pressure.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Paulrone, I'm sorry about your situation and especially your injury. I hope it's all healing up. I'd say that the more you let any outsider delegate how and what you should be doing, in terms of your own diet, I'm guessing, the more you will resent it. I sure as hell know I would!
These are life long habits you are trying to create for your own health.
I think it's counterproductive to add the extra stress of losing weight *on demand* ever week, as that will just make you stress.
There's actually clinical studies that stress reduces the bodies ability to lose weight.
Saving a few dollars on your premium is nice, but not if it's going to take your own personal choice of how to eat out of your hands.
Maybe if you actually write down what you are eating, for a trial period, say the first three weeks, and exercise 5 N days a week, your wellness coach will have a more concrete idea of what NoS would be acceptable to her.
Maybe she just needs educating. I'd also say, that her expectation of 1-2 lbs a week, is very unrealistic unless you are on a crash diet.
Why not see if she will let you do NoS for 21 days on Habit, and see what is realistic for you in terms of weight loss.
If she sees that you lose *something* maybe she will compromise and reevaluate her own expectation of you.

Good luck!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:04 pm

I agree with the poster who suggested looking for at more low-density foods -- green vegetables, fruit, soups, stuff with a lot of fiber, hot cereal ... these are very bulky so they fill up your plate (and stomach) without a ton of calories. I did the Weight Watchers Core program a few years ago with great success. It was ultimately too rigid and restrictive for me to stick with, but I have to admit it taught me a lot about which foods give you the most satisfaction.

One to two pounds a week is fairly quick weightloss, and I agree that it might not be realistic.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Hey Paul,

So sorry about the rotator cuff. How horrible! But it sounds like you are back to exercising, and I'm just thinking that if you modify the No S plan too much, you may just end up feeling deprived or like you are on a diet - - so my vote would be to take the exercise route. More exercise is definitely great for you and makes you feel good :).

I think you might want to try incorporating some jogging into your plan slowly and if the doctor has given permission for that. I think guys tend to really see great results from exercise alone - - and I bet you won't be an exception. Combine exercise with no S, and I'm thinking you'll be good to go for 1-2 lbs per week.

There's a great plan called Couch to 5K.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If I were you, I'd sign up for that 5K now (hopefully you don't live where I live where everything is COVERED with snow) - - but I'm sure by April you'll have some 5k's available to you. Then, just follow the program which moves you from walking to jogging by slowly incorporating the jogging portion. You'll have the race ahead of you to keep you on track (cause you've already signed up and all!). I think the same website even has a plan for Couch to 10K if you are feeling really ambitious.

The nice thing is that the extra weight is a burden, but you can carry some extra weight and be quite fit albeit not your ideal "look" - - but this sounds like you are focused on improved health so you never know, you might get hooked on racing (it's tons of fun, I promise!) and never look back.

Whatever you choose do do, I wish you the best!!

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Great news, everyone - I have a new wellness coach.

Here's the quick version:
I called up the wellness center and said I was unhappy with the wellness coach I had. I told them she was placing too much emphasis on quick weight loss and not much else. They had me take a questionnaire online and enter some data from my recent health screening. They determined that I should focus on lowering my cholesterol (LDL is 154, needs to be under 100) and losing weight at a rate of 1/2 to 1 pound per week. Net result is a new coach who is happy with the NoS and exercise routine I use currently.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm

paulrone wrote:Great news, everyone - I have a new wellness coach...

Net result is a new coach who is happy with the NoS and exercise routine I use currently.
That's marvellous! You are under less immediate pressure, and this plan looks better in the long term.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:18 pm

It sounds like this new coach has a head on her shoulders! I suggest that if it's going too slow, that you get a bit smaller plate, or kinda watch what is on it... more veggies Etc. The more rules you add and change the less "easy" and then you think MORE about food which is the opposite of what we need to do, right?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 pm

So happy you found a new coach! Good for you for asserting yourself :).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Nice one Paul!! :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wrigleyj

Post by wrigleyj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Well done! I should definitely learn from you. I roll over and take what's offered too often even when it's no good for me.