Breakfast issues

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bonkab

Breakfast issues

Post by bonkab » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 pm

This is my first week trying this and have done well but breakkfast is my issue. I do not like cereal ( especially oatmeal)or milk and eggs give me heart burn and I rarely eat bacon or sausage. This is one reason I normally eat small amouts in the mornings every 3 hrs. I also eat breakfast really early (between 5 and 6) three mornings a week because of my work schedule. By 10:00 I am beginning to be really hungry and my usual lunch is 11:30. Juice and milk are not always handy. I drink soy milk when I do have any milk. I guess I might have to carry juice with me.Thanks
GroovieGran

thomer

Post by thomer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:47 pm

That was my issue for a while too. I started work at 5 and would not have lunch until 12 so it was a long stretch (with lots of snacking). I also don't eat cereal and eggs I can only tolerate so much - once every couple of weeks or so.

Honestly the only thing I ever found that held me over was one of those mini frozen pizzas - not the wimpy Lean Cuisine kind, but the ones that look like Personal Pan pizzas from Pizza Hut.
Now my schedule changed and I work at 6:30 so I can eat later. But there was a couple of weeks when I just had to suffer and be hungry for a couple of hours until lunch. Gradually the feeling went away.

Who says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast, anyway? I eat last night's dinner leftovers probably 3-4 times a week.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm

First, as has been addressed in a couple of other posts, there's nothing wrong with being hungry. It's not a sign that you need to eat something immediately.

Second, what do you like to eat? I have a friend who routinely has a sandwich every morning (and NOT a "breakfast" sandwich). You can have whatever you like. It doesn't have to be breakfast food.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bonkab

Breakfast issues

Post by bonkab » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks for helping me look outside the box at what to eat for breakfast. I like Pizza and Bean Burritos so I can try that. I actually had a second big breakfast at work yesterday at 9:45 and had to use that as my lunchand we don't eat till 5:30 or 6:00. I had milk and some coffee. I guess the body just wants that immediate gratification. I think these principles can help in the financial area also...Thanks again
GroovieGran

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 pm

My typical breakfast is some kind of bread product (mestemacher, english muffin, bakery bread, bagel) with cheese and a piece of fruit on the side (and coffee, of course).

A little bit of hunger is OK. You'll get used to it. You'll even come to enjoy it "appetite is the best sauce." In the meantime, just tell yourself that hunger before a meal is a sign that you're no longer eating to excess and the unpleasantness will soon diminish. And drink, of course.

Reinhard

paulawylma

Re: Breakfast issues

Post by paulawylma » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:38 am

bonkab wrote:This is my first week trying this and have done well but breakkfast is my issue. I do not like cereal ( especially oatmeal)or milk and eggs give me heart burn and I rarely eat bacon or sausage. This is one reason I normally eat small amouts in the mornings every 3 hrs. I also eat breakfast really early (between 5 and 6) three mornings a week because of my work schedule. By 10:00 I am beginning to be really hungry and my usual lunch is 11:30. Juice and milk are not always handy. I drink soy milk when I do have any milk. I guess I might have to carry juice with me.Thanks
There are lots of options for breakfast. Do you like potatoes? How about fried potatoes or hash browns? Do you like ham? Candian bacon? How about corned beef hash for breakfast? You can buy frozen potatoes (which cook quicker) and fry them with any leftover meat and add cheese near the end. Another favorite of mine is the cube-type hash browns cooked with a bell pepper mix (red, yellow and green) and onions. Don't forget blueberry muffins (or any other type of muffin), if you make them from scratch they don't have any more sweetness than biscuits (leave off any optional toppings). Biscuits are good with gravy. Any of the breads can be made the night before if you are short on time, but they only take 15 to 20 minutes to bake once you have mixed them up. Biscuits and muffins will store for several days without freezing, but can be frozen as well. Don't forget breakfast steak--you don't have to eat it with eggs if you don't like them.

I almost forgot the obvious. . .if you want a light breakfast, try yogurt and a piece of fruit. From reading the board, some people seem to think that yogurt is a sweet, but in the book Reinhard says, "And if you have to wonder--as with slightly sweet foods such as yogurt,. . .--it's probably fine."(p64). But, If you think yogurt is too sweet, try the plain unflavored type or make your own.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:06 pm

If you can eat at work, you could delay breakfast and have it at work instead of having it at home before you leave. That way you wouldn't have to wait so long between meals.