1 week down, 2.1kg (4.5lb) down

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wrigleyj

1 week down, 2.1kg (4.5lb) down

Post by wrigleyj » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here, so I thought I'd introduce myself and let you know my initial progress.

I read about Shovel Glove on a blog I read (http://artofmanliness.com/) and that led me to the No S Diet. I decided that it sounded like something I could do, so I JFDI and stopped the S's last Monday (I think) and I'm amazed. A big problem I've had in the past has been the subsidised vending machine in the office. I haven't touched it, except once where I added a bag of Twiglets to my lunchtime meal.

At the same time, I ordered a copy of the No S Diet book and this weekend I picked up a sledge hammer (I'll probably post about that on the Shovel Glove board).

Anyway, the weekend came and I indulged myself with a nice meal at Wagamama with their awesome Ginger Cheesecake and a hot chocolate and yesterday I weighed myself.

The result? I'm 2.1 kg lighter than last Sunday. We have been having a family weigh-in for months each Sunday because we are all overweight to a greater or lesser degree, to encourage each other. I haven't really managed to get into the spirit, though, and have pretty much flatlined around the 90-91kg mark since April last year, so I'm thrilled.

Thanks for your work, Reinhard. It was your "real life" type of approach that convinced me. I am also in IT and have a sedentary desk-based job and a young family, so time and money are short. I really think I'll be able to stick to this.[/url]

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Congratulations!

"Art of Manliness" is a fun site... I've come across it before.

Do brace yourself that probably won't continue to lose weight at quite that rate (though by all means bask in your triumph now).

Reinhard

wrigleyj

Post by wrigleyj » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I certainly don't expect that level of loss in future, but I know from my (and others) previous experience that the first week or two of a diet change causes higher loss and it generally then evens out. I'll be happy with a pound or so every week or two.

The great thing is that the initial loss has given me the self-belief and the belief in the system to carry it on.

I have struggled with the will-power to walk past the vending machine on the way to the espresso machine in the past, but I haven't felt the urge since I've started this. The S-days make it so much more bearable.

Next on the list is to try to cut back on the sugar in my espressos and retrain my palate a bit to like sweet things less.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Good for you!!!
Congrats and welcome!! :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:08 pm

Congratulations!!! That's an awesome loss so you are definitely doing something right here :).

I just started around the same time as you did, and I was so happy to drop 2 lbs as well. That's not a huge amount, but I only have 15 lbs to lose (I'm very petite in height) so I was delighted with that - - especially since I haven't had any sense of deprivation.

Normally I swear I'd feel MISERABLE trying to lose two lbs.

I hope you continue to find success with the plan!!