who's the biggest no S loser?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Does anyone know who the biggest no S looser is? I'd like to know for incentive purposes, because my 80 or so seems insermountable!!! :shock:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:57 pm

I know there is one woman, who now I can't remember her name, from Washington who lost about 90 lbs on NoS, but she was also doing about 5 miles of jogging a day or something..
Also, I believe Silverfish from Australia lost quite a lot, in the sixty pounds range, and my friend JWL lost at least 40 or 50 lbs a few years ago, when combining it with walking and Shovelglove.

Rene,, I need to lose about sixty to seventy pounds.. This too seems insurmountable to me when I think of it that way.. But realistically, I know that it will probably take me about two or three years to get there..
That's how long it took for me to gain it.. It didn't happen overnight..

Just commit yourself to doing this with the most strictness you can muster, and take it one week at a time.
Definitely having some exercise will help..
This plan doesn't ask that you be strict about cutting out all kinds of foods etc.. but it will only work if you really are good through the N days..
I was fudging that for weeks until this week, because I'd be eating at night and had plenty of failures.. this week me and Richie were really really good, but we ate *normally*.. Even had a few fast food days, and ate an entire package of chocolate chip cookies over the weekend. But because I was finally strict and successful through out the week, I dropped almost five pounds, where as before I was either maintaining or gaining!!
I was really getting disheartened until this week, but I realised today that NoS will indeed work for me so long as I'm doing it 100%.

You will lose the weight! It's not insurmountable.. Be committed and be patient. Don't psych yourself out thinking of how much you need to lose. Instead, put that focus on being strict and getting as many successes under your belt as possible. The weight *will* follow.

Have a good week!
Love

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 pm

On the NoS testimonials page http://nosdiet.com/testimonials.html there are links to threads including information about successful NoS losers.
At 96 pounds down, Josie from Washington is probably our (women's division) reigning blood and guts champ.
James [from Maine] is now down over 100 pounds.
Inspiring results.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 am

I think it's really hard to go on this diet if you have a lot of weight to lose. You have to have tried a lot of other diets and faced failure after failure after failure before you are willing to follow a diet in which the weight loss is very slow. I've lost 4 pounds in the last 12 weeks -- 1/3 of a pound a week. That's 17 pounds a year. Since I have about 70 pounds to lose, that means I won't be at my old normal for about 4 years.

My most recent weight loss attempts have led to weight gain. I'm now down 10 pounds since September. I can guess that I'll be down to about 190 next January. Is that exciting? Yes and no. I'll be a lower weight, and dieting doesn't have to rule my life.

This diet seems like a sure thing to me -- no more fear of "falling off the wagon." I'd rather a permanent 20 pound weight loss than 70 pounds loss this year and 80 pounds gain next year. Oprah is something of an inspiration to me in that regard. She said she was at her low weight for a matter of hours.

That's how I look at it.

Kathleen

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Kathleen wrote:You have to have tried a lot of other diets and faced failure after failure after failure before you are willing to follow a diet in which the weight loss is very slow.
I very much agree. I think of suggesting it to others but not sure if they could understand it without the failures first.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:49 am

Tonight, my husband said he was going on this diet. Last summer (gasp) he told me he weighed 211 on a day I recorded 212.2. Now I weigh 202, and he came home from a physical last week weighing 225. Somtimes, the recognition of where you are headed if you don't diet is enough to get a person on this diet. That's what happened to me. I'm willing to accept slow weight loss. I'm relieved there's no more weight gain!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for midnight on an S Day, and so here I am posting at 10 minutes to midnight.
Kathleen

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Kathleen,

I'm in the same place as your husband. Two years ago I weighed 210, and over the past years it has slowly crept up to 229. That is the most I have ever weighed. I gained 3 pounds over the holidays. I am not morbidly obese yet--I am 6 feet tall--but if I keep heading the direction that I am heading there is going to be trouble.

My cholesterol was borderline high, my triglycerides were borderline high, and my doctor just started me a statin drug. So...I guess my post-Christmas weigh-in and the idea that I could soon be 250, and then 275, and then 300 if I didn't straighten up kind of sobered me up and made me want to be a no-esser.

I am so happy for you for the weight you have lost. I look forward to the time when I have a similar loss to share with you.

blessings,

John

www.countrypreacherdad.com

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:46 pm

John,
I tease my husband about being on "The Peanut Cluster Diet", which was my attempt at a diet last year. I gained 10 pounds because I gave myself "unconditional permission to eat" on all days. Be faithful to N Day rules with the same seriousness as you are faithful to a spouse, and this diet becomes rather as difficult as brushing your teeth, with some moments of difficult that are farther and farther apart. At least that's my experience. This diet has become a habit, one I am willing to follow for the rest of my life. I look forward to your progress...
Kathleen

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:03 am

I think that I am the biggest loser!

I have lost the need to eat every bit of food that I see. I used to have a mint or bit of candy in my mouth constantly. If someone brought bagels or treats into the office, I had my share (and often more). I ate large meals, with many snacks.

I have lost the inability to feel full. No matter how much I used to eat, I never felt full...could just keep stuffing it in.

I have lost the feeling of never being hungry. Now, most days, I am hungry before my three meals.

I have lost my lack of tastebuds. Apparently, when I was stuffing whatever food was available into my mouth, I forgot how to taste. Now I can taste when stuff is good or bad. I am much less happy with fast food, and much more happy with my own cooking. And my cooking has improved! I am experimenting with new recipes now, and it is fun and delicious!

I have lost the feeling of hopelessness. When I look at my fatness in a mirror, I happily think that in time, I will lose it. I am heading in the right direction.

I still have around 100 pounds to lose. I honestly don't care how long it takes. I have spent my entire adult life gaining weight! Now I am just taking care of the healthy No S habits, and letting the weight take care of itself.

la_loser

Wow!

Post by la_loser » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 pm

What a terrific description of the power of No S. And you've really summed it up, reinforcing the concept of taking care of your habits and the weight will take care of itself.

Congratulations on your multiple losses! Thanks for cutting to the chase and reminding us how powerful this lifestyle really is. Once we break from those old mindsets, it feels great!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:04 am

CrazyCatLady,
I thought your description was awesome. I copied it to my sister in law.
Kathleen

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 am

CrazyCatLady, I LOVE your post.

I always feel a little weird with those "how much have you lost?" questions. I consider myself a successful No-Ser, but haven't lost a lot in terms of weight, really*... However, the life change has been tremendous. On No-S, I've lost the feeling of constant desperation... You captured that incredible transition so well!

(*Note: I had already lost to within "normal" weight by the time I found No-S... for the second or third time, and was starting to inch up again. I stabilized on No-S, but can't really say I lost much on it.)

Thanks for such a great post.

WouldYouEva

Post by WouldYouEva » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:20 pm

First off, as a former proofreader, it bothers me that it says "looser" not "loser." Can we fix that?

Secondly, it's going to be me. :P I have more weight to lose than almost anyone else who has posted, and I have the rest of my life to do it in.

I'd like to be losing faster, but I've done that before, and I was miserable between weigh-ins. If it takes me 7 years to get to where I'll be comfortable, then I'll be better off than I've been the last 7 years.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Remember, too, that next year you'll be better off than you were this year. It may take 7 years to lose all the weight, but it won't take very long to lose some weight!
Kathleen

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:13 pm

CrazyCatLady, I LOVE your post.
Ditto. That was beautiful. I officially, by the power invested in me by my guru-ness, grant you the prize. :-)

Think I might quote/link to it from the main testimonials page, to put them in proper perspective.
First off, as a former proofreader, it bothers me that it says "looser" not "loser." Can we fix that?
Done :-)

Reinhard

oolala53

not the amount of weight

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:54 pm

In no-s-ing, the biggest loser is the longest "during," the one who has stuck to the plan the longest and sustained a weight loss the longest. We're all waiting for Reinhard to fall off the wagon so we have a crack at it. It's just not a system for determining who has lost the most weight, because who knows how long it will stay off?

Does this mean those who have more to lose than Reinhard did should be discouraged? Of course not! Wrack up those N days, walk, and lift some weights in a way you'll continue. You'll get there and stay there! By there, I mean a healthy weight. It might not be svelte, although it might. But it will be peaceful!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Too solid flesh

Re: not the amount of weight

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:33 pm

oolala53 wrote:We're all waiting for Reinhard to fall off the wagon so we have a crack at it.
I think it will be a long wait!

gratefuldeb67

Re: not the amount of weight

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:25 pm

oolala53 wrote: We're all waiting for Reinhard to fall off the wagon
Uh,,,,, I don't think you should hold your breath :wink:
LOL
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Great answers guys. Thanks all!!!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me