do you still keep any old diet hang ups?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amyliz

do you still keep any old diet hang ups?

Post by Amyliz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:32 pm

I had a realization this morning, that after 7 months of No-S and LOVING it I still hang onto some dieting world hang-ups.

The hang up I discovered is the idea that I have to eat meat at every meal. This is leftover from my Zone diet days, where you have to keep protein and carbs in correct proportion. It's a strange phenomena, b/c I go to the deli to get a Panini, and the Grilled eggplant looks delicious but I think 'I need a protein' like a robot.

I might try a week with no meat, just to try to break the habit.

I was once a vegetarian 8 years ago, and I seriously can't remember what i used to eat?!
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Another one would be that we need to eat every few hours.

I think that eating meat at every meal is not only a dietary hangup, but a cultural one -- it's common in Western culture.

The heck of it is that we don't need meat (or dairy, fish, seafood, etc) at all. Many cultures eat animal products, especially flesh, infrequently. Sometimes it's for religious reasons, but usually it's more for economic reasons -- or a combination of the two.

Interesting discussion by Mark Bittman on eating meat:
http://fora.tv/2009/01/12/Mark_Bittman_Food_Matters
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Ha! this is who I was listening to this morning on NPR that brought to the realization that i don't know how to NOT eat meat anymore.

so funny, thanks for the link!
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:21 pm

I think eating meat comes from the idea that you need meat to feel satiated until the next meal. The whole protein keeps you full idea. In reality it is fat that provides satiety. Covert Bailey once said to prove this try an experiment. Wash back some protein power mixed in water for breakfast. You will get hungry quickly. Try 1/4 cup of butter and you won't be hungry at all. Moral is that the whole fat free and high protein is crazy, but if you are not looking to get hungry between meals I would suggest some fats (preferably good ones) with your food. This does not have to include animal products. Olive oil, guac on a sandwich etc.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:37 pm

Well, in the U.S. I think the idea that you need meat comes from advertising and lobbyists to a great extent.

Here's the interview from NPR that Amyliz mentioned:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=99268166

And an article linked to from Bittman's blog, Bitten:
http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090122-16931.html
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:06 pm

resident0063 wrote:I think eating meat comes from the idea that you need meat to feel satiated until the next meal. The whole protein keeps you full idea. In reality it is fat that provides satiety. Covert Bailey once said to prove this try an experiment. Wash back some protein power mixed in water for breakfast. You will get hungry quickly. Try 1/4 cup of butter and you won't be hungry at all. Moral is that the whole fat free and high protein is crazy, but if you are not looking to get hungry between meals I would suggest some fats (preferably good ones) with your food. This does not have to include animal products. Olive oil, guac on a sandwich etc.
As someone with blood sugar issues who can get the shakes if I don't make good choices at meals, I can attest to the soundness of this advice. I used to think it was all about protein (flesh) but fat seems to be super key. For me, peanut butter is the perfect solution if I need that steadiness but want to cut down on animal products. I use the kind of peanut butter is that is just ground nuts and salt, and it really does the trick. If my meal does not have flesh or cheese or something, adding a tablespoon of pb to whatever I'm eating is the magic bullet. It's great mixed into a bowl of rice and beans, for example, or alongside oatmeal, or stirred into a veggie soup.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Amen to that!.
I was recently telling my husband that whenever I make dinner dishes in which skinned chicken breasts are the major source of protein and fat, I get really hungry within three hours, which is super fast for me, but if I have two slices of walnut bread slathered with butter, I can go on and on for up to eight hours if I need to.
What gives?, I think the advice is all about money, just as Wosnes says.

Dietary hung up?, mmm, I think mine is GUILT, sometimes, I just can't help feeling guilty for eating this or that; "blueberry cake with whipped cream? are you sure?, you still have weight to lose, you know" type of thoughts.
But I'm getting better at shushing and retorting to myself things like "well it IS saturday, you know".

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Mavilu wrote:I just can't help feeling guilty for eating this or that: "blueberry cake with whipped cream? are you sure?, you still have weight to lose, you know" type of thoughts.

But I'm getting better at shushing and retorting to myself things like "Well it IS saturday, you know".
Bravo! That phrase "Well it IS Saturday, you know" may be the ultimate Guilt Slayer! Very helpful line!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:15 pm

winnie96 wrote:
Mavilu wrote:I just can't help feeling guilty for eating this or that: "blueberry cake with whipped cream? are you sure?, you still have weight to lose, you know" type of thoughts.

But I'm getting better at shushing and retorting to myself things like "Well it IS saturday, you know".
Bravo! That phrase "Well it IS Saturday, you know" may be the ultimate Guilt Slayer! Very helpful line!
Yes!, I like to think so too!.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm

I get a little anxious about S day eating, too -- like I'm not REALLY supposed to take advantage of an S day to, you know, eat. We made pancakes yesterday, and I had four, with butter, and I felt guilty about eating the fourth one, S day or not. I didn't NEED it, I wasn't really still hungry, I just wanted to eat another pancake!

belser

Post by belser » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 am

I just had to reply to "I didn't NEED it, I wasn't really still hungry, I just wanted to eat another pancake!"

This made me smile and laugh because I related so much to the comment! I think the beauty of the S day is that it's SUPPOSED to satisfy our emotional cravings as well...not just the physical hunger.

The book talks about needing the S days so you don't feel deprived and drop all the good habits perminately. That 4th pancake was emotionally satisfying and you needed to enjoy it so you can be on task during your N days.

What I worry about is not the 4th pancake...it's falling into a total binge each and every weekend and ruining the hard work I did each and every week. I don't know why I worry about this...but I do. I'm a worrier by nature and I'm only a week into these new habits. I know much more about my old habits at this stage in the process and those habits can be scary.