My Version of No-S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Nichole

My Version of No-S

Post by Nichole » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:04 pm

My Version of No-S

I don’t even know if I am on No-S, but this is what I have been doing for a few weeks and what I usually do but got out of the habit around December (wedding, honeymoon, Christmas)… I am pretty health-conscious, but in no way am I a health-freak.

Exercise: I am in the habit of exercising and feel kind of sluggish if I don’t exercise. So I do about 30-45 minutes 5 days a week, right after work, with free weight exercises every other day. In the winter it’s ALWAYS stationary biking and in the nicer months, I like to mix the bike with walking, and walk/jogging outside.

My “dietâ€: I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with a snack. I live in an extended household where my father-in-law sometimes doesn’t get home until about 6:30. UGH. So I sometimes don’t eat until 8 o’clock!!! If I eat lunch at 12 and don’t eat again until the hours of 6:30-8 o’clock, that is just crazy. I feel starving, miserable, and angry. And I get biter that I have to wait that long. So I eat a snack. This is usually a healthy snack of 90 calorie yogurt, or a 90 calorie stick of string cheese. Sometimes I will pour myself just a little bit of cereal (w/o milk) to hold me over.

Calories: I do KIND OF calorie count. I have a pretty good idea of how many calories a day I eat, which is around 1700 right now. Because of this, I have been steadily losing about a pound a week. However, I don’t count every single morsel because I think that takes all the fun out of eating.

Here is a typical day for me:

BREAKFAST 8 pm - Bowl of cereal w/skim milk and maybe a banana
LUNCH: 12 pm – Sandwich with meat, NO CHEESE (too fattening), tomato, lettuce, and fat-free mayo. Sometimes it's a Lean Cuisine. Sometimes it's a bowl of soup. Whatever it is, it's just one helping/plate.
SNACK 3 pm – Yogurt or cheese… sometimes both!
DINNER whoknows what time – A plate full of what has been made for dinner.
DRINKS: I drink mostly water and sometimes I have Diet Coke or homemade iced tea with dinner as a treat. I have a morning coffee once in a while.

Weekends: I pretty much stick to this schedule with a (read: ONE) dessert after dinner. This dessert typically is something like frozen yogurt of low fat ice cream with whipped cream and colorful jimmies. And it’s only one helping. I find it discouraging to go crazy on the weekend and have my weight spike up on Monday mornings, so I don’t tend to change my eating habits on Saturday and Sunday. I find it counter-productive.

Soooo there you have it. I don’t know if it sounds excessive, but that is what I do. :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

Other than the snack - you are ahead of the curve. No S allows you to eat anything as long as it fits on a plate. That could be sausage and eggs or chicken fettucine. Your meals certainly are healthier than those. Weekends are whatever you want. If you are somewhat healthy on the weekend - that is just a bonus. Reinhard recommends exercise but it isn't required on NoS. Again - exercise is a bonus.

It seems the snack is the only hangup although I do remember Reinhard saying a snack could be acceptable if you have a long stretch between meals. It seems that your snack may be an allowable exception in the afternoon.

Overall - it looks like you are doing well. I'm in my first week, but and enjoying my food but in smaller amounts. I've found that things like Lean Pockets are great tasting, fit on a plate and low in calories. I'm also starting to see less money being spent on food which is nice. Before, i would buy a bunch of "health" food on the weekend and watch it rot in the fridge when I didn't eat it. I will eat NoS food though. That right there is why I'm doing the program. I simply can't fathom the idea of eating a low-carb or calorie counting program the rest of my life. NoS is the perfect compromise. I firmly believe that if I stay on habit - my appetite will shrink and I'll simply eat less and have less cravings. Overtime, that will do it. I also be more inclined to eat a salad if I'm not hungry for cookies or pizza. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Good luck - this is a great way to live.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you're doing pretty well yourself!! I have been doing No-S since March of last year. I'm happy with it! If I want to count my calories to check myself, it's so easy since I'm only eating 3 meals & a snack.

The thing about the snack is, also, I work out vigorously when I get home and if I'm feeling hungry and weak, that doesn't really mix very well! I need some energy to exercise, after all. I tried to go until dinner w/o a snack last Friday and I was a mess. Never again!!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille