A year of No S (it went on so fast!)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mavilu

A year of No S (it went on so fast!)

Post by Mavilu » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 am

I meant to do this a couple of days ago, but I didn't have the time, so here it goes:

On the 14th I celebrated Valentine's Day and a year of NoS (with doughnuts)!.
On this past year I have re-learned a lot about food and myself, I lost the fear of spending more than two hours without eating, started listening to my stomach again... well, you have read about this over and over, I won't bore you with it all again.
The weight-loss?, it hasn't been anything spectacular but, the most important thing I've learned?

The weight I weight and the weight I gain and the weight I lose is a 100% my choice.

I could weight far less than I do?, but I just don't want to get there, I'm fine at where I am and that is because?:

I'm at peace with myself, I'm in absolute control of my choices and most of all, I'm doing as much as I want to do about my weight.

Let me tell you this: my husband made a bet with his athletic best friend: that by the next 4th of july he would be much much thinner and in shape; well, he is in much better shape, but he isn't any thinner (I'm guessing all that snacking has something to do with it), so now, he is freaking out a bit and it sometimes can get out of hand; a few days ago, we had lunch out at about 1:00-2:00 PM, at dinner time at about 8:00-9:00 PM, I naturally decided to have dinner, well my husband told me that he was not hungry, how could I be hungry, man, how much do I eat! (this all being his guilt about his eating choices being reflected on me), well... a year ago, I would have felt guilty, bad about myself, bad about needing nourishment and dissolve in a pool of tears, eating anyway because, well, I needed it and then having a sour stomach for eating in such a state.
Not this year, not anymore, I told my husband that that was all good and everything, but I had had lunch hours ago and I needed dinner, which I calmly ate without an ounce of remorse.
That's right: doing things right removes all doubt and guilt and therefore, the most important thing that has happened to me in this past year?:

I haven't cried about food, my body or myself once.

This is the most important point, the most important thing one can do about oneself: stop being the victim and start doing things.
In my case, I had forgotten how to eat right and I would remember and then forget about it again, until a nice way to remember it came my way:
"No Snacks No Sweets No Seconds except Sometimes on days that start with S"

Thank you again, Reihard, I wish I could say "here's hoping for another happy year of NoS" but that would be a dumb thing to say; quitting No S will never, ever happen.
And now I gotta go; it's time for dinner!.

Too solid flesh

Re: A year of No S (it went on so fast!)

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 am

Mavilu wrote:I told my husband that that was all good and everything, but I had had lunch hours ago and I needed dinner, which I calmly ate without an ounce of remorse.
That is so impressive, dealing calmly with such an emotive situation. You're doing brilliantly!

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Very nice. NoS has many good side effects.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:10 pm

The weight I weight and the weight I gain and the weight I lose is a 100% my choice.
There are a number of great insights in your post, but "100% my choice" stood out for me. I was always blaming my friends, social situations, etc (anybody but myself) for poor food choices. No-S really helps you get a grip on just who's calling the shots, food-wise -- it's yourself!

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on all you have learned!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Malivu,

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us here!

I'm astonished again and again at the psychological benefits people (myself included!) report having thanks to no-s. They seem so out of proportion to that tiny, practical little formula.

Reinhard

P.S. no pressure, but this is absolutely "testimonials" forum worthy!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Mavilu,

thanks for sharing your story, very inspiring!

Each of us has different eating habits, nutritional needs, activity levels, metabolisms etc. My husband only eats lunch and dinner, nothing else and definitely no snacks (because he can't face food at other times of the day) so he sometimes comments about my 4x per day eating habits, but I just seem to digest food & be hungry again much quicker than him, also he eats bread & cheese with meals and I don't so I'm sure that's a factor.

Maybe it's like with cars, some just have a higher MPG consumption than others ;)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi Mavilu,
Good for you and don't let anyone psych you out or project their own reality and problems onto you!
Congrats on your self growth and awareness and first year on NoS!
Best to you for the years to come!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:42 am

Congratulations Mavilu,
Thank you for such an eloquent and inspirational post. I can't wait until I have 12 months under my belt!
Lori
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Consu

Post by Consu » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:14 pm

My favorite part of your post is where you said that you haven't cried about food since you've been doing No-S. That's being at peace with yourself, Mavilu. Seeing a desired number on a scale does not guarantee either peace or happiness, and being dictated by it often has too much connection with feelings of self-worth (as with me). Being at peace, as you are, makes you a TRUE success!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:44 pm

I am so happy for your excellent progress! I've only been on task for 6 weeks, and so far I am 3 pound lighter.

I look forward to the day when I am like you and can look back on a whole year of no-essing!
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:16 am

This is a truly wonderful testimonial - thank you for sharing.

(I totally agree that No-S allows the shedding of a lot of mental baggage that weighs us down even more than the extra pounds we may carry. Your story really illustrates that.)

resting52

Post by resting52 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Mavilu,

What a beautiful response to living NoS! What an inspiration you are!

Resting