Punishment???

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

blue

Punishment???

Post by blue » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:48 am

I messed up my friday in the middle of dinner My mind said I want today to be a s day. I realized that defeats the purpose. But this was after stuffing my face!!!! So Do I still make Sat a S day / My mind wants to somehow punish me for my failure and not enjoy a S day tomorrow.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:37 am

No, you keep your normal S days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

winnie96

Re: Punishment???

Post by winnie96 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:46 pm

emilypop wrote:My mind wants to somehow punish me for my failure and not enjoy a S day tomorrow.
I totally agree with Wosnes -- keep your normal S days! And enjoy them!

I've been No-S-ing for about 6 months now, and am just happy as a clam over this new way of eating. One of the biggest obstacles it is helping me overcome is the "punishment" mentality that used to send me into downward spirals of stuffing myself, then "punishing" myself with carrots & celery, which would lead to more overeating, etc.

Now, my eating patterns have smoothed out, but if I do slip up, I just mark my HabitCal in red and move on. No "make-up" days, no self-sabotaging thoughts about how "bad" I was -- it's a very forgiving, upbeat way to treat yourself. And as the No-S habits have taken hold, for me the slip ups have become less and less likely.

If you aren't already using HabitCal, you might want to give it a try. To me, it is a great visual representation of the "moving on" concept after a failed day. It's just one red square, not a Major Disaster, and you can make the next day's square be green, or yellow if it's a normal S-Day.

Best wishes, Winnie

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:13 pm

I recommend that you go listen to the podcast on "Strictness." It's my absolute favorite, and the section on "retribution/punishment" is worth listening to multiple times.

So, how about doing that as a... let's say, "way to address"... your lapse. :) (I don't want to use punishment-sounding words for something proactive and positive.)

Best wishes!

KCCC

PS - We all slip sometimes. The trick is getting back on track, wherever you are. You're on an S-day, so take it. And do it RIGHT - don't just inhale food, but pick something you love and feel is a wonderful treat, and savor it. :)

blue

Post by blue » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Thank you all soooo much . I feel better and will happily do an S day!!!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Great thread.

Friday was a struggle for me, too. After lunch, I told myself "only 12 hours until it is an S day." That mindset continued, as I counted down the hours. (My general rule is to wait until I sleep and wake up on the weekend to declare it an S day....but I didn't think that I could even make it until midnight, let alone the next morning!)

I even took a bag of candy to my bedroom when I went to bed after 11pm. I looked at the clock before finally dozing off....it was after midnight...an S day. I did not get up to eat the candy, but I did fall asleep with a smile on my face, and I ate black licorice after having breakfast!

Sometimes, counting down the days, then the hours, helps to get me through a rough patch. Otherwise, as the others said, when I fail, I mark it and move on.

Off to listen to the Strictness podcast............