food that comes in bowls

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

woods38

food that comes in bowls

Post by woods38 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi everyone!

I am new to NOS. I have read the book but I am still fuzzy about how to handle foods that are served in bowls such as soup and cereal. I have been putting my soup or cereal in a bowl and then putting the bowl on top of a plate and fillng in the empty space with other foods. At other times I have just kept to one bowl instead of one plate.

So far, I have had great success with NOS. I lost 9 lbs. my first week!

How do you handle food in bowls?

Thanks for any input!
Woods

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:18 pm

My dinnerware has two kinds of soup bowls. One is high and deep, the other is shallow and low. Both hold exactly the same amount of soup. If I use the high, deep one, I can put something on the plate beside it. If I use the low, shallow one, I can't, but I know it's no more food than the other. So, I'll have a small plate of something along with it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NCSunshine

Post by NCSunshine » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:01 pm

I have the same questions about soup and salads as woods38 described. How do you handle meals in restaurnats where salad is served separately?

I'm new to these discussion boards and have no idea how to respond to a posting or to know if someone has responded to mine.

Any guidance would be appreciated

la_loser

Links to other discussions about bowls

Post by la_loser » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Several discussion topics in the past address the "bowls" issue and something called "virtual plating."

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ight=bowls

This post refers to soup/bowls; it has a comment from Reinhard with a quote from the book:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 7856#47856

Stuff you eat in a bowl:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 3027#53027

Hopefully this will give you some more insight. . . I found these by doing a Search of all the discussion boards.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 pm

How do you handle meals in restaurnats where salad is served separately?
I'd say ideally, try to avoid such situations on N-days. I personally find, with just a bit of attention, it almost never comes up.

If you're eating at a restaurant where a salad is automatically thrust in front of you, you can "virtual plate" (get a smaller entree to compensate). This tactic isn't tremendously satisfying (or risk free) so I'd try to avoid such restaurants as a general rule.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:10 pm

So far, I have had great success with NOS. I lost 9 lbs. my first week!
Congratulations! Though be careful... I suspect that some scale funniness may be going on. Not to knock the power of no-s, but that's a lot of weight to lose in a mere week. Just don't be demoralized if next week you don't lose nearly as much or even find that some of it has crept back.

Reinhard

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:26 pm

I just usually try and go by the old idea of "soup and a sandwich." If I have a thin soup like chicken noodle or beef and barley I might eat something the equivelant of a regular sandwich with it. this might actually take the form of a grilled cheese sandwich or a tuna melt (or two if I make them open faced.)

If it is something heavier like chili and I can't resist having more, I might have another half a bowl.

Oddly enough I find I am serving myself more meals in a bowl these days. If we have ziti or mac and cheese, I will usually grab a bowl and have just a bowl full. I think to me a full bowl, is a good amount for a meal, where as if I use a full size plate I will be eating much more ziti or whatever.

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 pm

I would think that if I was going to have other things to eat and put the soup on a plate, I would use a smaller "cup" size of soup. If I want to eat a big old bowl of soup/chili, I'd call that a meal.
Carrie

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:12 pm

Regarding restaurants, I usually only eat half of what's given to me at restaurants, since the portions are so out of control, especially at the Cheesecake Factory. Once, my mother and I split a meal and there was still some left over for lunch the next day!!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

woods38

food in bowls

Post by woods38 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks for all your input!
-woods38 :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:54 pm

Major congratulations for a very successful start!!!
Keep it up!!! :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness