Naturally Thin

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Naturally Thin

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:59 pm

This could be interesting -- sounds like it might fit in well with No-S philosophy:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29620427/
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Interesting... but I'm not crazy about her central "your diet is a bank account" analogy.

For one thing, so many of us (especially in the U.S) are overweight AND hopelessly in debt! Balancing our finances is not something we tend to be especially good at (hence this recession).

And though the dietary balancing she discusses is more qualitative than quantitative, it's still a pretty direct "substance accounting" metaphor. I don't find that very appealing -- or "natural."

Thanks for the link, though!

Reinhard

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 am

Of course - I loved the book and ordered it from Amazon this morning.

There's just no way around it.
All of us have to --in some way-- be Accountable for our food intake.
Whether it is through No S, or a "bank account"
or counting calories, or counting points, or limiting carbs etc.

Our energy intake has to match, or be less than, our energy output.
It is just that simple.
Last edited by BrightAngel on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:37 am

Our energy intake has to match or exceed our energy output.
(I think you mean "match or be less than" but I knew what you meant)

There's no way around this in the end, is there?

I'm hopeful that No S is an easy way of achieving this (combined with copious exercise, which I happen to enjoy by and large).

And right now, my account seems to be balanced (good news). And since I exercise a lot, I can eat quite a good amount and maintain.

So at the moment, I'm happy, but not skinny.

But I can see that if I want to be thinner, my S days need to calm way down. And I can see that happening, but I'm rather prepared for the fact that may not get me as far as I want to be . . .and other mods may be required. I'm just going to be patient though and make very small changes at a time so I can get the maximum enjoyment while losing.

Unfortunately, in my mind, nothing is particularly natural about restricting eating in any fashion as our bodies are programmed to eat in times of plenty . . .nature didn't know we'd be able to create a permanent state of "plenty". So most restriction is really going to take conscious effort.

I just think No S takes a lot less of the conscious part than most . . .which for me is a big plus.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Thought that the funniest part of this article was the sidebar advertisement for LIP PLUMPERS!!!!!! Isn't that a stitch? Let's all plump our lips. Maybe then we will all look thinner by comparison. Sounds painful but more pleasant than tolerating another S.A.D.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 pm

I like her distinction between "food noise" (all the mental chatter made up of advertisements, guilt from the past, etc.) and "food voice."

"If your food noise is the little devil on your left shoulder that tells you to eat a cheeseburger just because you saw one on a television commercial, your food voice is the little angel on your right shoulder that has the real information about whether you actually want a cheeseburger or not. Your food noise is based on the past, but your food voice always looks to the future. Your food voice tells you what you really, truly want and need.

...Your food voice is your body’s organic sense of itself."

With No-S, I've learned to tune out food noise and listen to my food voice.