sugar, diet soda and white flour

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

donnao

sugar, diet soda and white flour

Post by donnao » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:10 am

i am very mcuh struggling with the idea of giveing up sugar, diet soda
and white flour permantly

it is a good theory, but i just don't think that i can really do it forever,
and i am absolutely exhausted with unrealistic thinking

the thinking is that these substaces are like alcohol to an alcoholic

i am willing to do what i need to do, but i do not want to suffer needlessly

the people on this board generally have good sense , and i am in desperate need of some logical input

thank you guys for your help

Donna O

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:12 am

Well, I like one of Reinhard's founding principles. Which is, if you can't do it forever, then don't bother.

So, I would closely examine which of these things you could do without forever.

Personally, I believe that white flour is garbage, and almost as bad as sugar. Although, it is somewhat less calorie dense.

When I evaluate these types of food for myself, anything questionable becomes an S.

Also, there are some times that eating carbohydrate dense foods is better than others. There is an approximate one hour window after rigorous exercise known as the "glycogen window". A carb dense meal eaten during this time period will go largely towards replenishing your body's glycogen store.

Every person is different, if you really are a "sugar addict" then perhaps you can't enjoy a piece of cake socially. Perhaps it will send you off on a "sugar bender". However, I think for most no-Esser's the occasional treats helps maintain the N-day abstinence.

As for diet soda. Reinhard's intuition that it reinforces a sweet-tooth seems to jive with my experience. For a while I thought Splenda was great, then I read some things that make me wonder. Sucralose might be ok (although its genesis is quite scary), but it is always combined with Acesulfame Potassium (Ace K for short). And you will see that Ace K does find itself on the no-no list according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm
http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:29 am

If the idea exhausts you, don't do it. Anything that sounds too hard to do probably is. For now, anyway - today's decision is not for forever.

So... Instead of thinking in terms of "giving them up forever," think about what steps you can take in the direction you want to go, that you CAN do without breaking into a cold sweat. Where can you make substitutions/changes that will not be very hard for you?

Small changes add up. Make what you can now (like, maybe making diet soda an N-day treat, and switching to whole-grain bread), and once those are second-nature, make another change.

I'm advising this because I believe in working in "five degrees of change" - see http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... highlight= However, for some people abstinance is easier than moderation, so your mileage may vary.

Figure out what will work best for YOU, and go with it. Remember, you can try something for a set amount of time - like a month - and then re-evaluate!

Best wishes in whatever you decide.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 am

Please do remember that you are not giving these things up permanently. At most you "have" to give them up for 5 days in a row.

I still experience days where I'm thinking "5 more days!? Nooo!" But it can be done. And with not TOO much tribulation.

Diet soda, while not optimal, is permissible even on N-days. You are supposed to work toward getting it to only on S-days, but in the book itself it says you can start by keeping them.

Sugar is not banned. SWEETS are banned. You would die without some kind of sugar - that's what your body runs on (brown rice is sugar when broken down). You are allowed that blueberry bagel. The chocolate-chip bagel - not so much.

White flour is also not optimal, but is not banned at all unless as part of a snack or a second. You can spend your entire life on No-S and never give up white flour. It would be better to get rid of it, but you can work up to that.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:18 pm

I don't think whether or not we eat the white stuff (rice, flour, sugar) is nearly as important as what we eat along with it. There are cultures throughout the world that consume these products that are slimmer and healthier than we are. While these are parts (and sometimes BIG parts) of their diet, they are not the total diet. There's a balance between the refined foods and whole foods -- which we don't seem to have.

If we cook from scratch and use real food (which, for me, includes the white stuff), not only will we be eating healthier, we'll be eating less. The foods we cook from scratch are far more satisfying than the store-bought varieties of the same foods. I haven't gone as far as making my own bread and pasta, yet, but I don't buy premade garlic bread or croutons, for instance, or premade pasta dishes.

I wouldn't drink diet soda. I'd drink the real thing -- occasionally.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

magicman

Re: sugar, diet soda and white flour

Post by magicman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:47 pm

donnao wrote:i am very mcuh struggling with the idea of giveing up sugar, diet soda and white flour permantly
Man, I would be too. So I bet you're happy to have found a diet that doesn't make you give up any of them, right?

resident0063

Post by resident0063 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:57 pm

First, these are bad, or at least unnecessary. They provide empty calories with no nutritional value (diet soda just gives you chemicals). That being said, it is hard to eliminate something, without a replacement. For diet soda, how about plain iced tea? What has been really effective for me is club soda with a slice of lime. You get the carbonation, no calories, and it tastes better. The diet soda isn't helping you anyway. Studies show it stimulates appetite because your body is tasting something sweet and it is not delivered causing hormonal haywire. Processed carbs and sugar are best looked at as a reduction instead of elimination. Try to increase your consumption of whole grains where appropriate. Whole grain breakfast cereal or oatmeal. Wholegrain bread. These actually taste better. Some meals taste as good or better with whole grains, others worse. Try to use whole grains wherever it fits. Brown rice sushi, for instance, has never been appetitizing to me. So, if I have a wholegrain cereal for breakfast, and good bread with my lunch and then white rice with my dinner, at least I am 2/3 of the way there versus none. The comment above is correct. What you eat with the carbs is important. More important is what you don't eat. Portion size, through the NoS diet and elimination of snacking, is just as crucial. Best of luck.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:55 pm

First, these are bad, or at least unnecessary.
O, reason not the need: our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous:
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man's life's as cheap as beast's
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

As others have pointed out, you don't have to eliminate any of these -- unless perhaps you have some special medical condition. In fact I think it would be dangerous to try. No-s lets you enjoy them all -- in moderation.

Sugar is reduced by "no sweets." But you can still enjoy it as a minor ingredient on N-days and unreservedly on S-days.

Diet soda... well, that's not explicitly restricted, though I'm not crazy about it. I'd say it's an advanced worry. Get the basics down first. You have bigger fish to fry. Enjoying real sugar on S-days may be the best way to cure you of your taste for this stuff.

From the no-s diet book (pages 72-73):
The idea of eating fake sugar and
fake food in general has always seemed intrinsically
awful to me. According to Greek mythology, the food
in the underworld, Hades, looks beautiful and tempting;
but when you bite into it, it tastes like dust. And then you
have to stay in the underworld forever. Modern fake food
has always seemed a little analogous to this to me, trick-
ing the appetite with insubstantial, and perhaps danger-
ous, illusions. I’ve found the image of the dusty, damning
food of Hades useful fortifi cation in those rare moments
when I’ve been tempted by simulacra.
"white flour" is indirectly reduced by no snacks (and no sweets). Add an additional intelligent dietary default or two if you don't feel that's sufficient and you can cease worrying about it altogether. Skeptical? Ask the baguette loving French and the pasta loving Italians why they're so much skinnier than us.

Reinhard

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:32 pm

Something that always stuck with me:

When asked how the heck she looks so good, Sofia Loren (possibly the most beautiful woman who ever lived) said, "Everything you see before you, I owe entirely to pasta."

In an Italian accent, no less. Ah, Italians.

Also, I like Reinhard's Hades analogy. Once you apply Greek mythology to something, though, I pretty much believe it.

I think that part of the really cool thing about the No-S diet is that it's really kind of easy, even when it's hard. By stressing about the specifics, I think you're missing the point (or at least a point). If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty of it, most scientific studies show that fake sugar is worse for you than it is good for you. Of course, the reason it exists is so that we don't overindulge on regular sugar (which was also labeled as "bad" somewhere along the way). My general rule of thumb is, "Don't consume large quantities of stuff you're pretty sure is bad for you."

I feel like this was a bit rambling. I apologize if it was. Whatever the case may be, the fact that you're even thinking about it is a good step forward. Most people just guzzle the crap down without giving it a second thought.
8-bit is still awesome.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Once you apply Greek mythology to something, though, I pretty much believe it.
LOL! Me too.

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Remember, moderation is the key. I know I kept weight on because of the sugar (too much) in my coffee. I tried sweetners but they aren't sugar. Well, I gave up coffee because it just didn't taste good. Now I will treat coffee as a sweet and I will have it on s days with sugar and cream. :D

I'm with you. I love my white bread! Now I look for whole grain unbleached white bread. I found Aunt Millies makes a good white whole grain bread or a potatoe white bread (I'm not sure if the potatoe is good for you). As for pasta and rice, I still eat it but I moderate how much. And if I am eating a pasta dish, I make sure I have a salad so I don't eat the pasta like a pig.

Good luck! Carole
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

TigerCrane

Post by TigerCrane » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:17 am

Why is white flour even on your list?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:54 am

TigerCrane wrote:Why is white flour even on your list?
Because I like it in baked goods.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

la_loser

Re: sugar, diet soda and white flour

Post by la_loser » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:34 am

I feel the need to pop back up to the original post on this topic. . . sic. . . this turned into a rant but it's a well-intentioned one!
donnao wrote:i am very mcuh struggling with the idea of giveing up sugar, diet soda
and white flour permantly

it is a good theory, but i just don't think that i can really do it forever,
and i am absolutely exhausted with unrealistic thinking

the thinking is that these substaces are like alcohol to an alcoholic

i am willing to do what i need to do, but i do not want to suffer needlessly

the people on this board generally have good sense , and i am in desperate need of some logical input

thank you guys for your help

Donna O
I just want to reiterate to Donna O and anyone else who is new enough to No S--No S does not prohibit sugar, diet soda or white flour! Sometimes these threads tend to take on lives on their own and it's important to keep in mind the original post. Reinhard added these same thoughts, but I just wanted to add my two cents worth.

* No SWEETS is not the same as no SUGAR. SWEETS mean items you would treat as a dessert or something that has sugar/honey, etc. as a primary ingredient.

* Diet soda is not prohibited--Yes, Reinhard and many posters are not fond of diet soda or artificial sweeteners. . . but it is not a part of the diet. Many of us who are finding success on NO S rely on diet soda or various artificial sweeteners like the pink, yellow or blue stuff to help us stay on track. If the use of artificial sweeteners seems to cause cravings for the real thing, that seems to be when Reinhard draws the line.

*White flour--not prohibited--nowhere on No S is this a "rule." Certainly, it's clear that whole grains are healthier for us-- but my goodness, NO S has 3 rules-period.

The simplicity and straightforwardness of NO S is what makes it so sustainable and affords us such success. Ah, see all those S's in that sentence. . . hmm. . . coincidence-I think not!

We have so many great people offering great insights and sometimes (don't be offended, please) their own agendas or interpretations, I have to be careful to remember to delineate between someone's opinion and what the crux of what No S is all about. At least to me, it begins to blur my thinking if I start trying to over-complicate it!

So, bottom line, No S is No S. . . the rest is there for us to take what is useful and helpful to us individually-or not. I've gotten so much from these boards and appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Now, I'm going to remember the delicious (white) croissant chicken salad sandwich I had at lunch and the aroma of that Texmati (white!) rice we had with curried chicken for dinner and the chai tea with Sweet 'n Low I'm sipping on now. My "drug of choice" for an afternoon pick-up is a Route 44 Diet Cherry Coke from Sonic. (Happy hour from 2-4 M-F!) My son used to call it my Sonic Tonic! And yes, I'm losing on No S and loving it.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Good point, LA_Loser - I had read the original post as if the poster WANTED to give up those things, or thought they should for some internal reason.

Never thought they might think it was part of No-S, which of course it isn't. It fits with it - but then, a LOT of variations fit, and as you say, it's good to sort out the variations from the "vanilla" version.

TigerCrane

Post by TigerCrane » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if the original poster misundertood the rules or was tryig to add new ones. White folour is perfectly acceptable food. I had two peicesof it slathered in butter this morning.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:15 pm

All I remember is that Donna O has been here before and is an ex "Overeaters anonymous" member.
I think?
At any rate, sounds like she must have her own goals, and yes to cut out white flour or sugar permanently sounds a bit dreadful.
Tho I'm all for cutting out diet soda!!!

LA Loser hahah I love how zealous you are about this!!
You are always there to wave the NoS flag!
That's nice!
I'm really sure that anyone who really wants to try NoS, will not just jump to wrong conclusions and will take the time to figure out the main rules.

Have a great weekend all.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

TigerCrane

Post by TigerCrane » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:09 am

When you say "white flour" all I'm hearing is "The No-S diet is too easy and I want to find a way to make it hard so I can fail."

White flour is the key ingredient of bread and pasta, two of the staple foods of the american diet. Whole grain bread is admittedly quite tasty, but wholewheat pasta is suitable only for monks and idiots.

no-S is not just about giving up yummy snacks, its about giving up the kind of monkish affectations that keep us mired in an endless cycle of self-sabatoge. Eat your darn bread!!!

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 am

The rules are so simple, I wasn't aware that anyone was confused about them. It seems obvious that she wanted opinions on her own ideas about mods/extensions. We don't need to reiterate the original rules to her. There is no way we can help anybody that doesn't understand the original rules, Reinhard has already expressed them as plainly as they can be given.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 am

"monkish affectations" -- I love this phrase, thank you!

la_loser

Go Team!

Post by la_loser » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:13 am

Critical,

It may well be that DonnaO was simply trying to figure out a modification for herself but I guess I wasn't quick enough to pick up on that. But as someone who has been following these boards for nearly a year, I've seen a number of posts from people who are just starting who, because of the diet hype we've all been inundated with through the years, are quite leery that there really are just the three rules. I thought it would be helpful for her to hear it from someone besides Reinhard to show that people like her are really doing it that way.

These boards have been supportive to me and many others and I know I have benefited from further substantiation that posters have given along the way.

And Deb, since her join date was just this month, I assumed she is really new. And yeah, I know -- I should get a cheerleader outfit -- but I know you believe in this too. Can't you see it now--a white sweater with the No S logo emblazoned on the front -- add some big hair and Wahoo! Here's our cheer!
No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds
Clap Clap Clap
Except on Days that Start With S
Go Team!

Anyway, I'll stop now before I continue to make comments that others deem unnecessary. :cry: or :lol: -- depending, I guess!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:41 am

Oh I didn't even look at the join date, sorry, but I did remember a Donna O from about a year ago or maybe two..

And don't worry LA Loser, you are so well meaning and you are right, some people come to this board via some other site or link other than the original NoS diet, so no harm in being clear.

The forum is a place where we all have the right to express, reiterate, extrapolate, and waffle on however we want about whatever.
As long as it's respectful and polite.

We all need a place where we can all support each other on our way.
Have a nice weekend friends.

8) Debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:43 am

ps.. Hahah love the cheerleading idea!!!

My personal cheer is Reinhard Reinhard he's our man if he can't do it no one can! :mrgreen:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:45 am

TigerCrane wrote:Whole grain bread is admittedly quite tasty, but wholewheat pasta is suitable only for monks and idiots.
Hahahaha!!
I hate whole wheat pasta.
It tastes like moist sawdust.
LOL

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:00 am

The forum is a place where we all have the right to express, reiterate, extrapolate, and waffle on however we want about whatever.
As long as it's respectful and polite.
I hope I didn't sound angry, that was not my intention. I just didn't think the reiteration was pertinent to the thread. Of course we can all do as we like :)
Hahahaha!!
I hate whole wheat pasta.
It tastes like moist sawdust.
LOL
Agreed whole grain pasta does not taste the same. However, one could make regular white pasta an S-day treat if they were so inclined.

Which I sort of implied in my original post.

la_loser

Thirty minutes of wonderful

Post by la_loser » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:09 am

First of all, Deb, thanks for the affirmation and kind words!

And CriticalMass-it's all good!

Now I see that we all are on the same page on one thing for sure. . . I so totally agree about whole wheat pasta-to me it is like eating cardboard no matter how it's prepared. I'd rather hold out for the real thing occasionally than settle for the whole wheat version. I'm sure that some people's taste buds really like it but not me. I just remembered this great line from "Steel Magnolias". . .

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

I think I feel that way about whole wheat pasta! Argh, now I'm thinking about Fettucine Alfredo!. Yum! Maybe tomorrow!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:10 am

Yeah Critical, no worries.
Have a great weekend friends.
Enjoy some white flour and sugar! hahahah :P

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 am

Well you are very kind to us all LA Loser so thank you for your positive presence here!
It is very nice to have a cheerleader, as I'm sure we all need that! :wink:
LOL, this is really turning into an "I hate whole wheat pasta" thread!
Well one thing is for sure.
There's no shortage of opinions on food here. :mrgreen:
Enjoy your fettucini!
8) Debs x

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:04 pm

I like whole-wheat pasta. :oops:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:14 am

Hahah, Thalia, don't be :oops:
This is all just a bunch of silliness :wink:
Good for you..
I *wish* I liked it!
Much better for ya!
8) Debs x

donnao

let me clarify

Post by donnao » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:21 pm

.. big sigh,,,,here goes

Hi! my name is Donna , and I am a graeful recoverED bulimic and a still struggling compulsive eater

by the grace of God, I have not had to vomit since June 27 1999

I am haunted by the possibility that i may indeed be a "sugar addict"

Is the sugar in my diet keeping me "in the food" ? or is my obsession with

being "sugar free" and following my food plan with back to back abstinence keeping me in the food ?

these are the questions that I struggle with today

I so very much appreciate everyone's input, and it has helped to realize this truth :
the only way out is through- there is no short cut

the only way that i can determine whether or not i can handle sugar
( and it's first cousins- white flour and artificial sweetners) is to try to moderate my intake-- by applying the principles of the No S diet to my life

the thought of having less than my usual 6 to 8 diet dr pepper's a day makes me want to cry- so i am pretty sure that there are some addiction issues going on there

i can easily reserve sugar for the S days, and cut out as much white flour during the week as is possible without making myself crazy.

I trust that no matter what the results of my experiment are, that I will always be welcome on this board

Thanks to you all

Donna O

kccc

Re: let me clarify

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 pm

donnao wrote:.. big sigh,,,,here goes

I trust that no matter what the results of my experiment are, that I will always be welcome on this board
Donna, I think that's a very safe assumption. :)

I do think sugar can be quite addictive for some people. There's a lot of diabetes in my family, and I used to find my consumption increasing until it was really quite over the top. I'd go on "sugar-fasts" to break them - usually took three awful days until I felt "normal" again. Then I'd start back from a normal level, until my sugar consumption would gradually increase again....lather, rinse, repeat. With No-S, even if I eat a lot of sugar on the weekends, that kind of dynamic doesn't seem to have the opportunity to get started.

So, I hope that No-S also works for you. There are several people on the board who've had success in addressing eating issues (you might look up Blueskeighs' posts), and some who have decided to follow other paths. Hope you find one that works for you.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Hey Donna! Welcome and good luck!!
You can do this.
Try to just focus on limiting your sodas to S days and substitute juice during the week and other flavoured beverages like tea and whatever else that seems good to you.
If you focus on only the soft drinks, you will be cutting out between 1200 and 1800 calories a day!!!
That would be such a huge improvement for your health.
You might experience some crash at the beginning because, now that I realise you have been used to so much sugar, I'm guessing your body will definitely crave it.
So be nice and allow yourself some juices.. orange and grape juice are good.
Then wean yourself down from them to diluted versions with some soda water mixed in..
Really rooting for you!!
Don't worry about the "cousins" of anything for now..
Get rid of that soda habit and just focus all your energy on that one thing.
You will have your whole life to tweak the rest of your eating habits after that..
All the best,
8) Debs x

la_loser

Welcome to No S!

Post by la_loser » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 am

Donna,
Here's hoping that No S can help you find some helpful structure to your eating.

As I read your post, you were talking about limiting or eliminating DIET Dr. Pepper rather than regular. And I know that a lot of people are concerned about the use (or overuse/reliance) on artificial sweeteners. (I do use them and it doesn't seem to be an issue but that's just me.) I think that some of the ideas suggested about juice or water flavored with juice might be a good option for you. I often suggest something called H2Orange, a concoction described in a thread I started last summer. Now I make it with Crystal Lite so that puts you right back to an artificial sweetener but its original recipe calls for just water and juice.

I agree with KCCC that you might benefit from reading about Blueskighs' No S journey. Although her issues were probably not exactly like yours, looking into her insights might prove helpful. She made the decision to stop her blog and her daily check-in at the end of 2008 because she felt that No S had healed her of her issues and she was ready to leave her obsessive thoughts behind and enjoy her life as she would like. That's why you won't find any recent posts from her. Here is her testimonial page which sums up her journey. Also she kept a very detailed, complete with beautiful photos of her meals for several months. As I looked it up to put in this message, I was reminded of what a strong force she was here and how much thought she put into her comments. So when you have some time, you may want to take a look at these sites:

Blueskighs' No S Testimonial page: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4120
Blueskighs' Blog: http://www.nosdiet.blogspot.com/

Don't be a stranger.