My Cardiologist Blessed No-Ess

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

brotherjohn

My Cardiologist Blessed No-Ess

Post by brotherjohn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Hello friends! Yes, I am still alive (and well) after my cardiac stents! For a couple of weeks I was a bit weak, and did not post, although I have been lurking. But now I am back at work and am getting caught up on things.

I want to thank everybody who responded when I posted about my heart blockage. I was kind of down in the dumps, and was looking for a little encouragement--which this group is always so good to provide. Thanks again!

I wanted to tell you all that the heart doctor has given his blessing to the No-S Diet. (Actually, it was his nurse practitioner, but the NP makes the wishes of the surgeon known to the patient, and vice versa. The surgeon is a very busy man and mainly does surgery.)

At any rate, my doctor said, "You need to be on the plate diet. Eat off a dinner plate three times a day, and all of your food should fit within the inner ring. It doesn't matter so much what is on the plate, just so long as it is reasonable, and it fits. Don't refill your plate, and don't eat anything beween meals."

I told him that I had be noessing since January 15th, and he said, "Well, you have been doing it, and your way is even better."

My doctor does not advise people to totally avoid saturated fat, because he says they will have problems. Any idea what problems it would cause?

By the way, I have lost 7 pounds since I started in January. I am not losing fast, but I believe that if I stay in this for the long haul that none of those pounds will come back.

I hope you are all doing well. I plan on posting more now that I'm feeling better!

blessings,

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 pm

That is FANTASTIC!

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:35 pm

John,

Glad to hear that you are doing well after your surgery & that your doctor approves of your new lifestyle. My husband is good friends with our family doctor, and No S is basically how he himself eats (the doctor, not my husband). As a matter of fact, he was against my going on WW. Told me that is was just a big money making scam. His advice: Just eat less! Best of luck to you as you continue healing.
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:37 pm

It's good to hear that you are feeling better.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:59 pm

John, I'm so happy to see you back here -- and feeling better.

Thank you for relaying your cardiologists "blessing!" That is very gratifying to hear.

Best,

Reinhard

noni

Post by noni » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi John,

Glad things went well for you and that your back!

It also makes me wonder what the doctor meant by saying eating no saturated fats causes problems. Maybe because doing without it means no meat or dairy products which can cut out certain nutrients or if it merely cannot be sustained as a diet in the long-term.

Perhaps on your next check-up you could plunder his mind.

randallkharris

Post by randallkharris » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:25 pm

I think the whole thing about cutting out saturated fats (besides the nutritional issue) is that, when you drastically reduce the amount of fat you eat, it can make your gallbladder do weird things and you can end up with serious gallstones or other issues. This seems to be especially true for women, who are at greater risk for gallbladder problems anyway.

I'm not an expert, so take all of this with a grain of salt, but since both my wife and daughter had to have their gallbladders removed, I have picked up a few factoids along the way!

Ms

Congrats brotherjohn

Post by Ms » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:14 pm

I like what your doctor said. Thanks for sharing your progress