What do you do when you make a terrible meal?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Pewari

What do you do when you make a terrible meal?

Post by Pewari » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Doesn't happen very often, but it would happen on the 2nd day of doing No S!

I made a *terrible* meal this evening. New recipe, big disaster. Couldn't force myself to eat more than a few mouthfuls of it, nor could the kids. Obviously replaced the kids food with something else so they don't go to bed hungry but what do I do for myself. I stopped myself reaching for something else, because that felt like cheating (no seconds, after all - just one plate), but I can't see me making it to breakfast without feeling VERY uncomfortable!

Do I just say sod it, mark it a red day and eat something else? Do you mark it exempt as it was an extraordinary situation (in which case, I *really* wish I'd had that chocolate brownie I was offered at a friend's house this morning!!) or do you have a couple of pieces of fruit and still count it as a green "success" day anyway?

Interested to know what others do in this situation, or are you much more consistent cooks than I am!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm

I decided to allocate two Exception Days per month and not have weekday Special Days.

It wasn't very special when my son broke a candle on the table after I had eaten two bites of cereal. I told him not to eat any more cereal in case he got glass in his cereal. Then I looked at my cereal and literally asked myself if it was worth the risk to eat the rest of my cereal because I'd need to take an Exception Day if I got a new bowl of cereal!

I don't think you can anticipate all the circumstances under which you might break N Day rules. A bad meal is just one. I don't think it was a failure for me to replace my cereal because of the possibility of broken glass in the cereal bowl.

Kathleen

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:45 pm

I'd just make something else and have that instead. The bite or two of the failed meal wouldn't count.

Pewari

Post by Pewari » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks - daft I know, but I think I just needed someone to tell me it wasn't "cheating" and give me permission! Psychologically, I think I really need that first week of green days.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:42 pm

You have to eat something!! You only had a few bites, that's hardly a meal...
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:11 pm

Throw it in the bin and make yourself something else that you will enjoy. Being miserable is not the way to go, no matter what happens. Starving yourself is no good cos' it leads to binge eating later on and then you feel bad about the whole thing.

In the bin ! ;-)

Marc

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm

If you didn't eat it, no problem, eat something else.

If you did eat it, well, at least it's over. You'll know to avoid that recipe next time.

If you ate half/some fraction of it, then I guess then have an additional fractional "virtual plate" of something decent.

I think that covers all the bases. :-)

Over the long haul, I think you'll find the "higher stakes" of limiting yourself to mealtime eating nudges you to make better gastronomical choices. A not so wonderful plate every now and then can actually be a good education.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm

A couple of bites does not a meal make. Eat something different, don't even think about making it a red day and just remember never to make that recipe again.

I have one recipe that I've tried 3 times and thrown it out each time. I think I keep trying it because there are hundreds of positive comments about this recipe. Well, I'm not trying it anymore!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Pewari

Post by Pewari » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:12 am

Thank you all. I went for a couple of pieces of fruit, as I had eaten some of the terrible meal, marked it as green and written it off to a learning experience! I was pretty hungry this morning and had a bigger breakfast, but not excessively so.

Reinhard: I see what you're saying about 1 plate making you think hard about your choices. However, at the same time, being quite a fussy eater with a limited set of dishes that we all eat and enjoy, I don't want to put myself off from trying new recipes even more as I think (for us) that it's really important to increase our culinary repertoire. It becomes a bit of a balancing act.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:51 am

I really like to cook and try a lot of new recipes. Some don't work out. But usually, I have side dishes with the new main (or vice versa) that are acceptable.

If the recipe is just mediocre, I'd probably eat my plate full and call it a day.

But if it was inedible, I'd remove the inedible part and fill the now open part of the plate with one of the side dishes or a piece of fruit.

I do think Reinhard pretty much covered the general options . . .

noni

Post by noni » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Just add salt :D

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Feed it to the dog. Then call the vet. :lol:
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com