The Virtues of Oatmeal (and a question)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

brotherjohn

The Virtues of Oatmeal (and a question)

Post by brotherjohn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:51 pm

I read this fellow's blog-post, and really enjoyed his endorsement of oatmeal. He said when he started eating oatmeal, things in his life just "straightened out". I found that very heartening and inspiring, since I have become an oatmeal eater myself.

http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles/oatmeal/oats.asp

I have never been much of an oat-eater until now. But now that I am only eating 3 times a day, I am hungry at breakfast, and enjoy my oats. (Some mornings I am so hungry, I would probably enjoy wallpaper-paste!)

I was thinking today that I probably eat oatmeal in the same manner that Popeye eats spinach. That is, I don't think he is really all that crazy about spinach, but finds it tasty enough, and he likes the things it does for his health....

Now, here's a question for all the oatmeal-eaters:

How much dry oatmeal do you measure for your breakfast?

If I am eating a bit of something else in addition to my oats, I cook 1/3 or 1/2 a cup of dry oats.

If I'm just eating oats (and drinking a glass of soy milk) and that's the whole show, then I eat 3/4 a cup of dry oats--which the box says is the "heart smart" serving. Whatever that means.

I look forward to hearing your habits....

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Great link, Brother John. Thanks!

I especially like this quote:
An Englishman and a Scotsman were discussing oats. The Englishman, with his nose in the air said "In England we feed oats to our horses, and in Scotland you feed oats to your men...", to which the Scotsman replied "...that's why in England you have such fine horses and in Scotland we have such fine men!"
That is, I don't think he is really all that crazy about spinach, but finds it tasty enough, and he likes the things it does
Exactly what an "intelligent dietary default" should be (and spinach isn't bad either, come to think of it, though maybe not straight from the can).
How much dry oatmeal do you measure for your breakfast?
I don't measure so I don't really know. Oatmeal is VERY filling, there's nothing like a few too large bowls to train you to eyeball portion control.

Reinhard

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 pm

I think oatmeal is quite tasty! I eat old-fashioned oats cooked in skim milk (never water), and add either dried cherries or raisins in fall and winter, or chopped fresh fruit or berries in summer and spring. Oatmeal with sliced strawberries and peaches is YUM.

I eat a half-cup of oats cooked in a cup of liquid. I think we got that from the Quaker Oats box, and although I know buy it from the bulk bin, I've stuck with that as my servign size. A bowl of that with fruit and a small glass of OJ on the side will carry me nicely through a morning.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:59 pm

Brotherjohn, Reinhard and Thalia -- sounds like you thrive on oatmeal. Me, not so much. I know oatmeal is good for me and I want to like it, but I don't. It does remind me of wallpaper paste. On the other hand, I LOVE spinach!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Spinach is just so delicious. I don't know how it got a reputation as somethign to dread. I made creamed spinach last night, in fact, with some leftover heavy cream -- yummmm.

lindalou

Post by lindalou » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 pm

I also use old fashioned Quaker oats using 1 cup water 1/2 cup oats

The why I do it is I bring the water to a boil and put in the oats and brown sugar then shut off the burner then go get ready for work and went I go to eat my oats are just the right texture I also add a little cooked bacon and butter it is so good

Linda

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:17 am

Quaker Old-Fashioned. About 1/2 cup, soaked with an equal amount of milk (plus a dash of salt, cinnamon, and perhaps raisins or dried apricots).

I put it in the fridge overnight, and heat it in the morning. Or not - I like it cold too.

Though lately, I'm on a bagel kick instead. :)
Last edited by kccc on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:25 am

wosnes,

I haven't given a flip about oats until I got serious about No-S, so I understand your sentiments completely.

For me, I think I was full of junk food before, and my body didn't appreciate oatmeal. Also, I didn't think about it very much until the doctor put stents in my heart. (I must confess, also, that on the days I have a tiny supper, I like oats a lot more the next day for breakfast!) But now, oatmeal just seems so virtuous. It is so good in so many ways. It is good for my heart. It is easy to cook, and cheap. You can doctor it up in so many ways. It doesn't have many calories, and fills you up, and you stay full all morning. It makes fine men and fine horses!

(I do believe in "freedom of religion" so I'll try not to bind the Gospel of the Quakers {oats, that is} upon you or any others. There's plenty of room for all of us Noessers, and your mileage may vary!) :D

lindalou,

A bit of crisp bacon in your oats? You have made me hungry! Something that I love is to cook a soft egg just right and put in on top of my bowl of oats. I bought a tiny skillet (and I mean TINY). It is only big enough to hold ONE EGG! :shock: I spray the pan, and then crack the egg, and put the skillet-ette on the lowest heat that there is on an electric range. I cook it as slowly and possible, and flip it carefully, and cook that side slowly. It makes a perfect egg with a runny yolk, and a delicious addition to my oats.

wosnes,

I've just read the last paragraph, and I am afraid that we oatmeal eaters are a bit zealous. I only hope we are not unbalanced! :) It would be terrible if we had a compound of oatmeal eaters, and there was a stand-off, and the government brought SWAT teams....

**but I digress**

John

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:14 pm

My favorite oatmeal recipe is I take 1/2 cup of Quaker oats (I use the quick kind, but I'm sure any kind will work), 1 cup of frozen mixed berries, and 1/2 cup of water. Heat in the microwave for 2.5 minutes. Yum! It makes the oatmeal sweeter but it's not an artificial sweetness.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Brother John, thank you so much for your eloquent warning of the dangers of oatmeal zealotry! That is a level of rhetorical brilliance rarely seen on a diet-oriented bulletin board, and I applaud you.

But now I'm casting a wary eye on my little bag of bulk-bin oats -- who knows what perils of madness lurk within? I wonder if H.P. Lovecraft ate oatmeal.

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:49 pm

Oh, Thalia, now I am frightened!

You know, the more I think about it, oatmeal does so many things the government should regulate it. Maybe the FDA could put a "Black Box Warning" on the back of it.
Roman Soldiers Ate (and Perhaps Drank) Mostly Grain
R.W. Davies is not saying the Roman soldiers were primarily meat eaters. Their diet was mostly grain: wheat, barley, and oats, mainly, and also spelt and rye.
You know, Spartacus ate oats, and because of his boldness in leading the rebellion 6,600 slaves ended up being crucified! I am going to keep my oatmeal in the top of the pantry so that the kids don't get ahold of it while I'm not there... "Keep out of the reach of children. Close cover before striking." :shock:

P.S.
I bet that Jack Bauer (from "24") eats oats.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:25 pm

Man O' War ate oats, and look what they did for him!

jexica

Post by jexica » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:40 pm

I've put up my breakfast recipe before, but here it is again:
-I put some water in my electric kettle and start it before I go put my makeup on
-I use a shot glass put two scoops of old fashioned oats into a wide mouth canning jar
(turn the kettle back on because it takes me a while to put on my makeup and the water has been heated and cooled slightly in the meantime)
-I then add a layer of frozen blueberries thick or thin depending on how fast they pour that day
-pour water over it all up to cover or about half way up the jar
-put the lid on the jar and throw it in my bag to take to work
-when I get to work I look at the jar if it came out runny that day add a bit of powdered milk for body, either way, I eat it with a sundae spoon (2 cup jars are deep)

It doesn't "cook" but it is warm and filling and purple.

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:14 pm

I love oatmeal. I prefer the stone ground Scottish oats or steel cut oats to the rolled or quick oats but it's all good. The old fashion Scottish way of eating oats is with some butter and milk with a sprinkle of salt on the top. It's good that way. I have to mail order the Scottish or steel cut and I'm out now and haven't ordered for awhile. I've been eating the Quaker stuff.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:12 pm

I just tried Old Fashioned Oats this morning! I want something more filling and more healthy than a breakfast cereal. I even bought blueberries to put in it. I left them at home, however. So it was just made with Skim Milk, a tiny bit of salt, and two packets of Splenda. I really liked it! It's been two hours and I am still full. :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Nichole,

I ate old-fashioned oats today, too! Reinhard's encouragement about how easy they are to cook is what inspired me. I tried cooking them once before, and they didn't turn out quite right. But today I brought them to a boil, and then turned the electric burner down to the lowest setting and stirred them occasionally for 5 minutes. I had sunflower seeds and a few raisins in mine, and a teaspoon of molasses (for flavor and minerals.)

I am having a smashing success on No-Ess, but I don't think I could do it without the oats! They stay with me for a long time, and don't cause a drop in blood sugar.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Mmm, sounds good. I made my in the microwave and it over poured! Woops! But other than that, it was so easy to make. I can't wait to try it with frozen blueberries tomorrow...

la_loser

Oatmeal lava!

Post by la_loser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:35 pm

So. . . once upon a time when I was taping my microwave cooking show for the local cable access channel in the early 80's (think Paula Deen meets Wayne's World!), I was demonstrating how easy it is to make real oatmeal in the microwave. I explained that for even one cup of oatmeal you should use a two quart bowl (like a big pyrex measuring cup) because it bubbles up so much. However as I was putting it together, I realized all my 2 quart bowls were in use already since I cooked multiple dishes during each show. I quickly said, "well, we'll just use this 2 cup one today--but really you should always use the bigger one, just in case." So I popped it in the MW, turned and prepared another dish and when it beeped, I turned and opened the MW--the camera zoomer in really close and there it was. . .the microwave looked like a volcano with oatmeal lava bubbling everywhere!

I heard the gal running the camera gasp, but not missing a beat, I turned toward her and said, "so this is why you should use a larger bowl. Let me show you why microwaving can save you some clean up time and effort--let's take this damp paper towel and clean this up!" It was an easy mess to clean up and I pointed out what a mess it would have been to clean if you'd done that on top of the stove. (Yeah, I know, you'd probably never let oatmeal boil over on the stove anyway--but it was a great "save" and the camera operator went right out and bought her first microwave!

My show was called "Microwave Magic!" It seemed like magic that day! And I learned to always follow my own instructions!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:06 pm

So how big must your bowl be if you are microwaving?

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Nichole :)
When I microwave the instant oats, I do it in a 2 cup corningware measuring cup with 1/2 cup water, for about 1:30-2 mins.
It boils but doesn't spill over the top.
Then I transfer it into a bowl.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:22 pm

I've microwaved instant plenty of times without a problem. Today was the first time I ever had spillage! Maybe I just let it get too hot.

shmena

oatmeal for dinner

Post by shmena » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 am

I love oatmeal so much I eat it sometimes for breakfast and dinner.
For breakfast I'll have it with frozen berries, a tbs of psylllium husk, and a tbs of peanut butter. It is so filling for 4 hours.
For dinner I'll have a 1/2 cup plain oatmeal, cook it in the microwave, and then I'll add 1/2 cup cottage cheese, a chopped tomato, some chopped black olives, and some feta cheese crumbled, salt and pepper. It is so filling and delicious!
I know it sounds weird to eat savory oatmeal, but it is so good and stays with me all night!
"Our doubts are traiters, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt"
William Shakespeare, "Measure for Measure"

dockanz

My everyday breakfast

Post by dockanz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 pm

I take a 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 scant cup water, 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa, and a dash of cinnamon an microwave for 3'33" I then add 1 Tablespoon brown sugar. Best breakfast I've ever had and in fact, I eat it everyday for breakfast (except sometimes on weekends, when I eat waffles, which are never quite as satisfying).
Make the Better Choice

vmsurbat

Re: My everyday breakfast

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:44 am

dockanz wrote:I take a 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1 scant cup water, 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa, and a dash of cinnamon an microwave for 3'33" I then add 1 Tablespoon brown sugar. Best breakfast I've ever had and in fact, I eat it everyday for breakfast (except sometimes on weekends, when I eat waffles, which are never quite as satisfying).
Thanks for posting this! We aren't big oatmeal fans (as cereal, anyway), but this sounds both tasty and nutritious. Hopefully, the family will agree! :wink:
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

dockanz

Re: My everyday breakfast

Post by dockanz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks for posting this! We aren't big oatmeal fans (as cereal, anyway), but this sounds both tasty and nutritious. Hopefully, the family will agree! :wink:[/quote]

I have rarely met anyone who doesn't like this--including non-oatmeal people (which I used to be). This is now my most comforting food.
Make the Better Choice

davestarbuck

Post by davestarbuck » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 am

Hmmm,, I guess I'm weird. I never cook oatmeal. Just put some milk , nuts, or almond butter, a bit of honey and eat it "raw". I also prefer steel cut oatmeal or old fashioned, I never eat quick oats BLEEECH!!!!

-dave
Cut to size,file to fit, paint to match...

janmarie

Post by janmarie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:35 am

This is a "Tribute to Oatmeal"! Her oatmeal page is great but so are her other pages about food.
http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I've switched from Quick Oats to Old-Fashioned ones. (Your comments inspired me!) I bring them to a good boil, turn off the heat on the electric stove, and leave them on the burner for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. That really IS as "instant" as anybody needs a food to be! :lol:

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I've been eating my old fashioned oats the past two weeks with skim milk and blue berries and a bit of brown sugar and regular sugar - and a light sprinkle of salt. Very good!! :) Heated in the microwave for about 2 minutes.