Anyone use Friday as an S day?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

burbanum

Anyone use Friday as an S day?

Post by burbanum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 pm

Hello All. I am in the end of week 1 and was wondering if I can make S days friday after 5, sat and sund until 2. I have social things that work beset with this arrangement. ANd I am much better at controlling myself sunday afternoon evening than Friday evening. I am trying ot make this work as a lifestyle and think in the long run this is better. Any thoghts on this? or has anyone tried it?
THanks
Brittany

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:05 am

I do Friday and Saturday as my S-Days. I think it's best to do all of two days rather than part of 3. It's not quite the same if you break the days up that way, but to my perception as long as it's always Friday and Saturday instead of Saturday and Sunday it doesn't matter.

Julie

vmsurbat

Re: Anyone use Friday as an S day?

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:02 am

burbanum wrote:Hello All. I am in the end of week 1 and was wondering if I can make S days friday after 5, sat and sund until 2. I have social things that work beset with this arrangement. ANd I am much better at controlling myself sunday afternoon evening than Friday evening. I am trying ot make this work as a lifestyle and think in the long run this is better. Any thoghts on this? or has anyone tried it?
THanks
Brittany
I personally take Fridays and Sundays as my S-days. We have a longstanding tradition of Friday being "Family Night" at our house and I usually make pizza and dessert that day. Saturday (for us) generally works out to be a normal day--not generally a day for socializing unless a special event (birthday or wedding) which is a legitimate NWS day anyway. On Sundays we always invite guests home for lunch after church so that day will always be an S day here.

In your situtation, I agree with Julie that taking 3 days, even if partial, is too much with the NoS diet. According to NoS rules, an S day is free from all restrictions so dessert, snacks, seconds are all legitimate. I think if you followed S day freedom for Fri. Eve, all day Sat, and most of Sun, you are going to get discouraged with your progress. You will be trading time that you normally don't indulge (Sun. afternoon and eve) for a time you do indulge (Fri. night).

Perhaps you could work out a F/Sat or F/Sun only schedule. If not, I think it would be better to make one of the days (F, Sat, Sun--you choose) not an S day but a day for a single S event. What do I mean by that?

I mean that you should decide in advance to limit one of your S days to a single event--dessert only on Sun, for instance--no seconds, no snacks. Or perhaps seconds on Sat. if you really want them, but no snacking and no sweets. Something along those lines.

I do think you are right to make NoS fit your actual lifestyle (we, for example, routinely enjoy homemade muffins and pancakes for breakfast on N days--something many here would consider S day foods).

Best wishes in finding the just-right solution,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:53 am

You can do whatever works for you.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

burbanum

Post by burbanum » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:19 pm

THanks for all the tips and advice! I may just see how each weekend winds up and decide either fri/sat or sat/sun or fri/sun. I guess it is just that Friday day is not a challenge nor sunday after midday meal (we do church get togethers too) but it may be too much to to do one meal friday and one meal sunday and then all day sat. in my mind it was thinking same amount of meals taken for s days total..but habit wise maybe that is not good. i will have to think thru this bettr maybe...appreciate the comments.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:55 pm

I have the exact same reasoning - Friday days are easy but I often have plans Friday nights - Sunday mornings I might like a big breakfast but the afternoons and evenings are nothing special. I tried doing as you suggested but, as others have said, it just didn't feel right to break up the days into parts. Seemed too much like I had 3 S days and the good habits weren't being formed. I decided to make Fridays and Saturdays
my official S days after my 3rd week.

One unpredictable thing I noticed yesterday (friday) was that I brought extra food with me to work just so I could get in some candy and snacks. I didn't intentionally do it and I didn't particularly enjoy it but it was like I felt that I deserved it. Obviously I will have to work on that part. I want my S day treats to be more thoughtful and special - not just a free-for-all. I don't know that Reinhard would approve but I hope to make only Friday after-work and Saturday my official S days. I think that will give me plenty of opportunity to enjoy special treats without feeling deprived.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:27 pm

midtownfg wrote:One unpredictable thing I noticed yesterday (friday) was that I brought extra food with me to work just so I could get in some candy and snacks. I didn't intentionally do it and I didn't particularly enjoy it but it was like I felt that I deserved it. Obviously I will have to work on that part.
This is what derailed me when I tried No-S the first time (about a year or so ago). I was treating it like other diets I'd been on, i.e., technically following the rules but trying to find a way "out" by being a glutton by pigging out on S days and by vertically stacking my plate on N days. This time, I feel much wiser about the whole thing. I realize that S days are reserved for special treats, not free-for-all eating. Today was my first S day since starting back, and I did well. I had a half sandwich in the afternoon as a snack because I really was hungry (ate lunch too early). I've had a piece of blueberry pie for dessert, and I'll have a glass of Bailey's Irish Cream later on tonight. That's about the extent of my S's today. My meals were the same as they are during the week--pretty healthy overall and no seconds (seconds were never a big temptation for me).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:05 am

We usually start having S's after Friday dinner, or as part of it..
It's never a huge thing, but there's something about Friday night..

But when that happens, I usually have make either Saturday or Sunday an S day "light", or just skip S's altogether.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

caroleann

Post by caroleann » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi,

I use Friday and Saturday as a No S days and it works great for me. Friday is the end of a work week and at 4:00 it's time to let it all hang out. I don't cook on Friday so my family and I go out for dinner most Friday evenings. Saturday any thing goes. I may cook or we may go out but I know I will have popcorn or a snack at night with movies.

I try to maintain self control on my S days. I try to adhere to the rules for breakfast and lunch but I will treat myself at dinner and in the evening.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!!

The only way to achieve something important that has been out of your reach is to become more assertive. It'll take stong motivation on your part to bodly go where you need to go

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 pm

caroleann wrote:Friday is the end of a work week and at 4:00 it's time to let it all hang out.
Haha, sadly these days this has been very literal for me! LOL :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 pm

I tend to have Friday and Saturday as my S days, I find that on the last workday of the week I need a little treat! (this week I've really got my eye on the strawberry cupcakes at Starbucks!) Edit - I've since decided to have Friday and Sunday as S days, so Saturday is now an N day.
Last edited by bonnieUK on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giarc

Post by Giarc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:39 pm

I do as well.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:50 am

Is it okay to Trade my s days? I don't really want Friday as my permanent S day, because I usually don't go out on Fridays and on Sunday we often make a big home-cooked meal. HOWEVER, on Friday the 24th our good friend will be in town and we're going to go to a really nice restaurant. S day for sure, but I'd like to budget by making the following Sunday an N day. I'm just looking at the calendar for July and it seems like I have a lot of Special days this month -- Friday of 4th of July weekend, and book club tonight . . .

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:08 am

^ Just take that one day as a special day then. Or mark it as a fail but remember why you failed and that it wasn't a stupid reason.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 am

BigE wrote:Is it okay to Trade my s days? I don't really want Friday as my permanent S day, because I usually don't go out on Fridays and on Sunday we often make a big home-cooked meal. HOWEVER, on Friday the 24th our good friend will be in town and we're going to go to a really nice restaurant. S day for sure, but I'd like to budget by making the following Sunday an N day. I'm just looking at the calendar for July and it seems like I have a lot of Special days this month -- Friday of 4th of July weekend, and book club tonight . . .
I wouldn't suggest trading S days -- keep them as they are. But treat that Friday evening meal as an S event. The whole day isn't an S day, but that one meal is an S event.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi burbanum,

Until now I've had Friday as a "half S day" so from the afternoon onwards I can have a treat and/or snack if I really want to. I started doing this so I could still participate in the office cookie/cake offerings to some degree. If someone brings nice cookies or birthday cake, instead of just plain refusing them I can say I'll having something on Friday if there's anything left.

I've never been sure about what to do with Saturdays. They usually end up being N days by default/habit unless I go to a party or special dinner (a rare event!).

Sunday is a normal S day.

I think I'll make Friday and Sunday my official S days and make Saturday an official N day. I like the idea of having 2 full S days and 5 days on habit.

Good luck deciding what to do with your days :)

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:57 pm

Okay. I'll go with that special Friday dinner as an S event and now I'm going to officially stop worrying about it anymore. Thanks.

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 pm

We celebrate Shabbat (i.e. the Jewish Sabbath) which starts sundown Friday night. Shabbat dinner is a special family meal. So I take 2 S "days," on the weekend, but they run from Friday dinner up to (but not including) Sunday dinner.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:58 am

I had been doing weekends as S days for a few months but Fri is still difficult for me. Even harder than Monday, so I tweaked my S days making Friday Night an S and Sat a normal S and Sunday a restricted S because I was getting frustrated with out of control Sundays.

It worked out all right for a couple of weeks-still losing a little weight-but it felt like I was starting to take 3 full S days and eventually my Sundays were back out of control. And the scale started to creep up.

So I'm back to only two full S days, without any restrictions. The weight loss is slow but I feel like I'm back in control again even with crazy weekends.

la_loser

My Fridays were a big part of the problem to begin with!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 am

For my two cents' worth. . . having read lots of posts about this topic for the last year, I came to the conclusion that I have to keep Saturday and Sundays as my routine S days. A pleasant and easy "out" would be to begin my S days on Friday evening like some do and stop before dinner on Sundays. But I have no official reason for doing that (as in I am not Jewish or have no other spiritual reason for observing S days on Fridays). Our regular Friday night meals out are something we've done for thirty years. . . and I'm pretty sure my intake on Friday evenings are a key reason I have all this weight to lose. Sunday evenings are rarely a time that I overeat anyway.

So I came to the realization that my Friday nights were a part of my original problem so it would be real cop-out to declare Friday nights a part of my S days. . . Certainly there are true special occasions that occur on Friday evenings that I sometimes will have an S EVENT. But usually if I mess up then, I mark it RED on my STRICTLY_SPEAKING_NO_S Habitcal and mark it GREEN on my GREEN_Equals_two_r_Less_S_Slips Habitcal. My other Habitcal is the one I keep for tracking my S days: Not_an_Idiot_S_Day

Others have their own rationales for how/if they manipulate their choice of routine S days. For example, some people work every weekend have their days off on Monday and Tuesdays, etc. There are probably lots of legit reasons to monkey with S days. I just wanted to share the conclusions I had reached for MY situation.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Mistress Manners

Post by Mistress Manners » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:16 pm

That's a good insight, LA. Good for you for keeping yourself honest.

Bookman Old Style

Post by Bookman Old Style » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Good point, LA_Loser. Friday nights we always go to the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. I considered making Friday an unrestricted S-day, until realizing that all I can eat is a whole lot- that's the original problem. I ended up making a partial mod (which is my only one). I have one reasonable plate, plus (sometimes) a cup of hot-and-sour soup and my fortune cookie. That's it. It's an S-event, I guess, but a strictly limited one. Not suprisingly, I enjoy the meal more when it's not a gut-buster.

nos_vroom

friday and saturday

Post by nos_vroom » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Sometimes I do the offset as well, I'll do fri/sat rather than sat/sun because I'm a movie lover and I love popcorn at the movies :) , and well most new releases start on Fridays. I do stick to a small, which really isn't all that small. Otherwise I stick to sat/sun. I rarely regret missing a Sunday S day as that's just another day to me.