10 commandments of weight loss

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

dockanz

10 commandments of weight loss

Post by dockanz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:44 pm

I came up with these thoughts the other day that have been useful in my weight loss journey. Call them suggestions if you prefer.

1. Thou shalt eat actual meals-Society has been handed a bill of goods that we need to eat regularly throughout the day. If we actually ate fewer calories at meals, this may work, but most people who eat regularly throughout the day also eat normal size meals too. (thanks for this Reinhard)

2. Thou shalt get off thine posterior and move-Calorie restriction is an important variable in weight loss, but the most commonly cited variable in sustained weight loss was regular movement. You don't need to buy a membership to Gold's Gym, but throw on a pair of shoes and walk out your door. Walk to work; walk to the grocery store; just walk. Do a few pushups, situps, and squats regularly. Throw some dirt around in the back yard. Whatever gets you moving.

3. Thou shalt adopt a long term perspective-Don't quit when you only lose 2 pounds this week. You didn't gain it all in a week, you aren't going to lose it all in a week either. In fact, I would challenge you to drop your time goals and just focus on becoming a healthier person, not a lower number on the scale.

4. Thou shalt not live on overly processed diet foods, but also recognize that no food is inherently evil-Although they may seem easier, foods like Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, and Snackwells are wholly unsatisfying and I suspect less healthy than the real foods that are found on the outside aisles of your store. If you can't pronounce the ingredients or if the list contains more than 5, choose something else.

5. Thou shalt not blame others, society, genetics or the media for your weight-You ate too much. I know, you are probably thinking "my metabolism is slower than all of my friends because that's how my family is." Perhaps it is, but you know what? That was the hand you were dealt. Deal with it. You get to eat less than someone else. You got fat because you ate more than your body needed. Rather than feeling bitter toward others, accept responsibility, do your job and eat less.

6. Thou shalt realize that you will not starve-Particularly if you live in the United States, you are not going to starve to death. If you have to wait a few hours until your next supersized order of curly fries, your family isn't going to find you dead in your recliner.

7. Thou shalt remember that life is about so much more than food-Food can be a joy. Indeed, I love to cook and I love the whole process of food. In fact, one might say that gourmet cooking is the only art form that engages all 5 senses. BUT, life is about more than food. Spend time with your family, read a book, meet your neighbors...turn off the TV.

8. Thou shalt seek the support of others-People often want to go it alone, particularly men. When they fail, there is no one to hold them accountable. There is also no one to help make it through the rough patches when you want to eat a side of beef. Also, if you go it alone and you do lose weight, but no one notices, you will be mad. As an additional thought here, learn to eat together with other people rather than on your way out of the Burger King parking lot.

9. Thou shalt remember that food is not an antidepressant, a pain reliever, or other medication-Food is fuel. It is not a band-aid, it doesn't fix the emotional issues going on in your life, and it can't heal all your hurts. It may make you feel better for a moment, but that feeling will pass. Learn to deal with your emotions--talk to someone (see the 8th commandment), go for a walk (2nd commandment) or pray.

10. Thou shalt Make the Better Choice-Life is full of them...choices that is. You can choose wisely or not. A single choice may not have a significant effect, but lots of them do. Become a person who chooses wisely, not foolishly.
Make the Better Choice

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Beautiful! Thank You! :)
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

la_loser

Great "food" for thought!

Post by la_loser » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Are you sure your middle name is not Reinhard?!

Great philosophy that cuts to the heart of the matter. May I suggest you add this to the NO S Glossary
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3883

This will be a great addition to it!

Thanks.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Doudou

Post by Doudou » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 am

6. Thou shalt realize that you will not starve-Particularly if you live in the United States, you are not going to starve to death. If you have to wait a few hours until your next supersized order of curly fries, your family isn't going to find you dead in your recliner.
LOL this made me laugh! and it's also very true! :)

janmarie

Post by janmarie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Wonderful! Thank you!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:37 pm

This is so well written, fun to read, and true!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:41 pm

These are fantastic! I particularly like #3. Thank you!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:22 pm

You've captured a LOT in those ten! I love #3, 4, 7, and 9,

If there were a second set (the lost tablet), I'd add something about persistance/resiliance. For me, one of the biggest lessons of No-S has been that I can have a failure as an isolated mini-event, one that does NOT cause me to fail overall. A very useful life lesson, applicable to more than weight control. (If you caught it and I missed it on first reading, my apologies.)

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:26 pm

Maybe instead of the commandments, I should have called it the bill of rights and we could have added amendments.
Make the Better Choice

Tulsa

Post by Tulsa » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 pm

This is great.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 am

I'm a little too brain dead with sleep deprivation ("vacation" with small children) right now to comment on this, besides giving my hearty "amen!"

Thank you, dockanz!

More tomorrow...

Reinhard

Ms

Re: 10 commandments of weight loss

Post by Ms » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:47 pm

This made me LOL! Way too funny, and so true...

MysteryLover

Post by MysteryLover » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:09 pm

This is a great post! I will be printing this one out and sticking it on the front of my fridge. Thanks!
--Gina (a.k.a MysteryLover)
03/01/2017: 195.2
Current: 174.6
Goal: 145.0

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:24 pm

dockanz wrote:Maybe instead of the commandments, I should have called it the bill of rights and we could have added amendments.
Lol! Love your icon, by the way. I love Snoopy :).
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Great reading, so true.

I am on day two - actually went to the cabinet to get a bag of marshmallows, but stopped and said,

Theses are TWO S's... Sweet and Snack. Twice as bad.

Put them back, haven't keeled over yet.

(But the day is young.)

:lol: