Coming Back

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Catlady1975

Coming Back

Post by Catlady1975 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Ok,

I've only posted on these boards a couple of times. I started the No S Diet and fell off the wagon. I've had a bit of depression since my miscarriage in early March. I'm bigger than ever and just feel like this weight battle will never end.

I've been encouraged reading the boards again and I intend to start back on the No S Diet tomorrow. I really want to feel that I'm making some headway. Being in the 320s is so incredibly depressing and embarrassing.

Anyway, just wanted to get back in the saddle and put out a post here.

la_loser

Be gentle. . .

Post by la_loser » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Please know that you are far from the first person or probably even the 100th person who has started to No S and had to restart before your habits really take hold. I know I started and restarted or at least racked up plenty of red days before I felt confident enough to claim I was "really" practicing No S. . .

I always go back to Reinhard's comments and remember to take another look at what he says about "failures."
This is from the NO S homepage:
Sometimes it takes a false start (or 12)
Some people, like me, get No S the first time they try it. It works and it sticks. But most people have a bit more trouble than that. In fact, you might do best if you assume you'll screw up the first time, so you don't get too discouraged. Consider it a reconnaissance mission, a trial run, just to feel out how hard it's going to be and where problems are going to arise. If the enemy, appetite, turns out to be such a chump that your reconnaissance mission routs him, great, you've succeeded. It might be that easy, you won't know until you try. If not, you've learned more about him, where he's likely to ambush you. You're stronger, better prepared for next time. Don't feel stupid for trying and failing. Success is the sum of many failures. This isn't just pep talk. According to a recent article I was pointed to (thanks, Valerie):

Studies show that altering eating habits for good requires 10 to 12 concerted attempts to succeed - which is to say about a dozen failures come before the eventual success. "That's not reason to despair," said John Norcross, professor of psychology at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania and a researcher on self-initiated change. "If anything, it's reason to say, 'I'm not doing so bad.' "
So quit dawdling and get some failures under your belt!

Need something more inspirational than another pseudostatistic? Try Winston Churchill: "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
I'm stealing another poster's line here, but . . . be gentle with yourself. You're no doubt still grieving over your recent loss. You deserve to be content. Maybe with time, No S can give you some structure that will help you.

Glad you're back.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 am

Welcome back.

I'm very sorry for your loss. LA Loser is right, be gentle with yourself.

Glad to see you here.

Catlady1975

Post by Catlady1975 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:24 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I look forward to getting to know some of you and maybe have a support system that I can be part of. :D

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Welcome back!

This plan is the best I know, and the folks are great! I look forward to hearing from you.

blessings,

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Welcome back!

So sorry to hear about you're loss...

As LA points out, you're in good company here as a "prodigal." It's the unusual no-esser who gets it down on the first attempt.

Reinhard

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:51 pm

My sister had gained some weight, maybe 40-50 pounds when she was pregnant the 1s ttime, then she had a baby and kept the weight on for a while, maybe a year ... then she got pregnant again and this time had a miscarriage too after 2-3 months ... that was SAD !! ;-(

Later it took a year of hard work but she lost those 40-50 extra pounds working out a lot (gym membership and dieting) ... so it can be done. She is pretty *HOT* now, lol ! Took a while of course, but I think she did it on the first try, there was no false start. I guess she's like me, when you have your mind set to do something, you get it done. That's the toughest part, when you decide to do it, then you have to stick with it no matter what.

She wasn't extremely heavy though, maybe 180 pounds at her heaviest.

I've never been a member at any gym though, I prefer to train on my own and I wouldn't like to have to drive all the way over there especially since here in Canada we have crazy winter seasons with lots of snow, ice and freezing temperatures.

My plan : From april to october I'll mostly cycle outside and shovelglove inside ... and then from november to march it'll be both cardio (jumping jacks and other stuff I do) and shovelglove inside. (Shovelglovin')

Marc ;-)
Last edited by bluebunny27 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Catlady, sorry for your loss.

As for the your weight, try not to think about the total amount you have to lose. I know that when I think of that, I get discouraged. It's best to focus on the present, one day at a time as they say. I like Reinhard's idea of establishing habits rather than focusing on the scale. When the habits fall into place, the weight should start dropping eventually, but to focus on the weight seems to lead to frustration (at least for me).

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 pm

Catlady, I am so sorry for your loss.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:29 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. I find it very difficult to watch what I am eating when I am feeling extra emotional. Do be gentle with yourself, as LA Loser pointed out.

From the other (Crazy) Catlady

Doudou

Post by Doudou » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 am

I'm very sorry for your loss. *HUGS* I'm glad you're starting again, we've all tried and failed several times and as Michael Caine says in Batman Begins: "What do we do when we fall sir? we learn to pick ourselves up" (read with a cockney accent!):D Best of luck!!