ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Giarc

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?!?

Post by Giarc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:10 pm

First I'll give you a background of myself. I am a 32 year who lives in Canada. My entire life I have always been "husky", but active. I have played every single organized sport there is, from ice hockey, soccer, baseball, and rugby. You name it I have played it.
I am in the military here, and while I always pass my fitness tests I am sick of just getting by doing the bare minimum. I decided it was time to lose some weight for good. I have more motivation now as I am deploying around Christmas this year. I won't say where but you can bet it’s a sandy location. :wink:

I have been dieting and training very seriously since the New Year. I work out using Kettlebells 3 times a week and do cardio 2-3 times a week. I originally was on weight watchers and had some success there. I lost an initial 30 pounds. However it got to the point that if I had to count one more point I was going to co crazy!!!!!!! Not to mention my wife was going to kill me. Then about a week ago while looking for something different I came across this web site and thought it was a great idea to try.

I started the "eating plan" (I hate calling No S a diet) last week. IN THE FIRST WEEK I HAVE LOST ALMOST 8 pounds!!!!!! Was I really snacking that much? Needless to say I am hooked!!! I will try to keep you all updated right up to my deployment date.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Welcome!... and glad to see that you're off to a great start! Marcdesbeins is from Canada too.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

khristal23

Post by khristal23 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Congratulations! I'm excited to see posts like this because I'm new to this myself. Thanks for the motivation.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:04 pm

8 pounds in a week ... that's crazy !! ;-)

Hey, fantastic work there, but don't starve yourself, alright !

Remember slow and steady is usually healthier for you, it's better to lose 25 pounds in 3 months than just one month, you see ... your body has more time to adjust and you are not starving and struggling to do your exercises due to a lack of energy.

I have also lost a lot of weight dieting and exercising a lot ... the key is to do it very regularly ... exercising nearly every day, even if it's only 20-30 minutes on some days is really good for you, it's better than to exercise for 2 hours straight twice a week and then do nothing the other 5 days, you see. Also short, fast and hard workouts are better than long, slow and steady ... ;-)

The best plan to lose weight is to have 1/4 of the exercises being weight training and 3/4, cardio training ...
Personally I shovelglove for the weight training and I cycle and do various exercises like jumping jacks for the cardio ...

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Marc ;-)

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:36 pm

I was prone to the 8 pound losses on WW, but I am seeking something where I lose more slowly and work to establish better habits, so I think NoS is a good "eating plan." I agree about not wanting to call it a diet.
Make the Better Choice

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:51 pm

That's great! Welcome!

But do realize that 8 pounds in a week is unusual -- and you're not likely to continue losing at that rate.

The strength of no-s is that it's LASTINGLY (and pleasurably) effective.

But -8 pounds off the bat certainly is nice. Congratulations!

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Good for you!!!
Keep up the great work!! :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 pm

You are off to an awesome start!!! Believe me, as a person who was doing a LOT of exercise before No S - - yes, it is sadly possible to "snack that much". My meals are bigger and 10x more satisfying than before No S, and I'm slowly losing weight. Before, despite training for triathlons, I was GAINING weight . . .it's a little scary . . .

I'm so glad I found No S, and it sounds like you will be too ;)

Giarc

Post by Giarc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:30 am

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragment. Great motivation!!!

geekmom

Post by geekmom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey, welcome aboard and congrats on the good start. I hope you'll find no-S works well as a lifelong eating plan, even once you're deployed.

woods38

Post by woods38 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Congrats on your good start!

The same thing happened to me when I started. I lost 9 lbs! Sure, a lot of it was water weight but it still felt good. I did really well the first month and lost about 1-2 lbs. a week.

Good luck!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Welcome aboard!

I weighed myself this morning, and I'm down 9 pounds since January 15th. Although my weight loss has not been as fast as some, I consider the pounds I've lost to be "permapounds"--that is, as long as I am noessing there is no reason that they would ever come back!

Very best wishes to you, and I look forward to seeing you around!

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

harpista

Post by harpista » Mon May 25, 2009 1:09 am

Belated welcome and congrats on that great start.

Keep us posted... do you have a check-in thread?

Also, greetings fellow Canuck! :lol:
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Mon May 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Yes, Congrats - I have been on the plan less than a month and have lost nine pounds.

It has been very easy for me because it is,

well, very easy.

:D

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon May 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Congrats and even though I'm not Canadian, thank you for your service. I suspect that part of your weight loss is due to the fact that you aren't eating so much salt. Whenever I'm off NoS, I gain 5lbs or so of bloat that I knock out pretty quickly.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue May 26, 2009 2:57 am

Thank you for your service! Great weight loss, I am trying to get back on the wagon myself.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:49 am

StrawberryRoan wrote:It has been very easy for me because it is, well, very easy.
SR -- a very nice summation, I think, of what No-S is, if you don't over-think it, or tinker too much with the basics. Well said!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue May 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Yes, congratulations Giarc!
IN THE FIRST WEEK I HAVE LOST ALMOST 8 pounds!!!!!! Was I really snacking that much?
I think we all have blinders on when it comes to snacking! A handful here, a handful there - that won't matter! Hmmmm. Only when we begin to pay attention, do we realize what we've been doing - or not doing, as is sometimes the case!
Your initial loss is fabulous, but I suspect it will drop off to a slower rate as you continue with NoS. Regardless, you will lose.
Good luck - stay in touch!

Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!